You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbee from Toronto
07-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Newbee from Toronto
Hello all,

I've just started fishing again (i haven't fished since I was young, around 25 years ago) and thought I would get some advice. I live in Toronto, and since I don't drive, I am looking for local area's to fish. While I have found information on this, what I couldn't find was some specific information regarding good area's and what fish I should target for this time of year (July). It seemed like most of the area's around the city are more active either in the spring or late summer/fall. I went out to the Toronto Islands last week, and came up empty.

I look forward to learning more.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2015, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 08:51 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Newbee from Toronto
http://torontourbanfishing.com/

You can visit our Facebook page and read past discussions about where to fish and what time of year to fish.

There are lots of fish all around Toronto. I've personally caught Common Carp, Largemouth Bass, Rock Bass, Black Crappie, Bluegill Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Black Bullhead, Brown Bullhead, and Rainbow Trout while volunteering at Center Island, Topham Pond and Humber Bay Park East during the National Family Fishing Week. Talking to friends, they have also caught Freshwater Drum, Bowfin, Northern Pike and White Bass fishing from various locations in the City of Toronto.

It's not so much about locations sometimes, but about technique and taking advantage of opportunities. Just the past week, my friends caught over 30 Rock Bass from Center Island, some of them just over 1 pound. Pike fishing may be a bit slow at the moment, but there are many Common Carp in the canals and ponds, some Largemouth Bass cruising around, and certainly a sprinkling of other fish like Bowfin and Freshwater Drum.

You do have to realize that most of the accessible fishing areas are highly pressured (within my circle of friends at TUFA, there is almost always someone fishing the Toronto shoreline on any given day at any given spot). Fish are extremely wary especially during the busy summer, and you do have to refine your presentation. This past spring, Common Carp were extremely cooperative giving us almost 10 fish days, but right now, they have become extremely difficult as they see more and more anglers each day. Most of the Carp have resorted to feeding in low traffic areas of during low traffic periods and they are very wary of line and terminal tackle. To complicate things, the abundance of weeds and algae provide more than enough easily accessible food for these fish, and the heavy vegetation makes it difficult to fish certain techniques. These obstacles are not restricted to Carp fishing only, but to all other forms of fishing including Bass, Pike, Sunfish, Bowfin...etc.

My best suggestion is to spend more time on the water and not only fish, but observe how fish behaves. Only then will you be able to catch fish under more challenging conditions that you see now in July and August (especially at the Islands).

TUFA member, Mike Harry, has written an invaluable book about fishing in Toronto. You should get a copy if you are interested to know more about where and when to fish in Toronto.

http://torontourbanfishing.com/urban-fis...ike-harry/

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Flipityflu (07-23-2015)
07-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. I'll be out again on Friday, although I haven't decided on which location to go yet. I live in the Parkdale area, so I have easy access to area's I've heard about, including lake shore around Ontario Place, Humber River area, and even Grenadier Pond (although I've read advice to maybe stay away from there, as its really been overfished, and they have had die-offs in the recent past).
07-22-2015, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 09:04 PM by MuskieBait.)
All of the areas you listed, including Grenadier Pond (even with the die-off), have been producing fish. I just saw picture of a 2.5lb Largemouth Bass caught from Grenadier Pond on the weekend. Go fish as often as you can and learn the areas and learn how to fish for your target fish. When you spend enough time, you'll start to learn which species peak during which period of the year at a particular location. As you build these experiences, you'll be more able to clue into the seasonal pattern and your catch rate will increase.

As an illustration, these fish were all caught from the Toronto Islands on July 13, 2014.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...d-Trifecta

[Image: IMG_2094_post.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2099_post.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2105_post.jpg]

These two were caught earlier this spring from Toronto Islands as well.

[Image: IMG_4521_post.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4576_post.jpg]

Fishing is great in the city!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Flipityflu (07-23-2015), ramzy2000 (11-23-2015)
07-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Cheers.

That's some monster carp right there. I was mostly using jigs trying to get some bass when I was at the Islands. Maybe I'll give it another go on Monday and try some carp fishing.
07-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Not sure if you have already signed onto our TUFA Facebook page...but my friend Ron just posted pictures of two bass he caught yesterday at Grenadier Pond, both about 1.5lbs. The fish are there. You just need to know where to find them and how to catch them.

Malama o ke kai

07-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Welcome to OSF Flipityflu.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Welcome to OSF!

(07-24-2015 10:13 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Not sure if you have already signed onto our TUFA Facebook page...but my friend Ron just posted pictures of two bass he caught yesterday at Grenadier Pond, both about 1.5lbs. The fish are there. You just need to know where to find them and how to catch them.

Here's a couple of bass I caught at Grenadier pond this season...

Grenadier Pond has been on fire this season. I suggest fishing it early morning or late evenings. If you fish it during the day, look for places with lots of shade. Those lily pads will hold a lot of bass...bring out a frog and have fun! Tight lines!

A NEW ANGLER SHARING HIS CATCHES WITH EVERYONE
07-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome - you will like this board.
08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks all.

Hoping to get out again tomorrow.