You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbie Question - Foul Hooked Salmon
09-21-2014, 07:58 PM
RE: Newbie Question - Foul Hooked Salmon
what is the logic that other sites have for not naming rivers?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2014, 08:46 PM
(09-21-2014 07:58 PM)dahliablue Wrote:  what is the logic that other sites have for not naming rivers?

when someone names a river on a forum, they believe that other people browsing will see that spot and the next day they will fish there and put more pressure on the fish and basically ruin the fishing for the people who believe that the spot is actually theirs (like a secret spot). The more people coming to the spot, the worse it becomes for fishing and more garbage accumulates.

However, I don't believe this really matters with river fishing in the main east and west tribs near Toronto as they are always rammed up with people and have massive garbage issues from non-fishing people/causes as well.

To each their own, there's segregation and elitism, discrimination and separation in the fishing community based on ethics and style of fishing. I don't like to get into it that much, I just love fishing. I'll post a river name if it's a well known river. I won't post the name of private lakes or locations that are sensitive. But if it's in the Toronto area or listed on the MNR list of urban fishing spots, I say it's fair game.

Just because I lead you to the fish, don't mean you'll be able to catch 'em Cool gotta have skillz for that
09-21-2014, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 09:25 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-21-2014 08:46 PM)Toasty Wrote:  
(09-21-2014 07:58 PM)dahliablue Wrote:  what is the logic that other sites have for not naming rivers?

when someone names a river on a forum, they believe that other people browsing will see that spot and the next day they will fish there and put more pressure on the fish and basically ruin the fishing for the people who believe that the spot is actually theirs (like a secret spot). The more people coming to the spot, the worse it becomes for fishing and more garbage accumulates.

However, I don't believe this really matters with river fishing in the main east and west tribs near Toronto as they are always rammed up with people and have massive garbage issues from non-fishing people/causes as well.

To each their own, there's segregation and elitism, discrimination and separation in the fishing community based on ethics and style of fishing. I don't like to get into it that much, I just love fishing. I'll post a river name if it's a well known river. I won't post the name of private lakes or locations that are sensitive. But if it's in the Toronto area or listed on the MNR list of urban fishing spots, I say it's fair game.

Just because I lead you to the fish, don't mean you'll be able to catch 'em Cool gotta have skillz for that

Yeah, you need skills to catch fish...but if you lead a bunch of people who have no clue how to fish, and they wade right through the pool, or they pop their floats on every little snag, current dragging down floats, end of drift, or if they don't know how to fish in a group with others cooperatively without crossing lines or casting spoons when others are drifting or fly fishing...there is no amount of skills that can save you from a mess of these crowds on the river.

Sure, go name rivers...and spots...and invite everyone else to your spot.

It is not about segregation, elitism, discrimination or separation...it's about people who have spent time to find a nice little spot of their own and these people would like to fish in peace without half of Toronto intruding into their peaceful enjoyment of their day.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2014, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 03:32 PM by OldTimer.)
(09-21-2014 08:46 PM)Toasty Wrote:  

uh-huh................. Did you actually review the above before you posted it?

Opinions vary............... Vastly.

I would imagine that your position will pretty much kill any chance of people here sharing location info with you sir.............

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-22-2014, 07:39 AM
(09-21-2014 08:46 PM)Toasty Wrote:  when someone names a river on a forum, they believe that other people browsing will see that spot and the next day they will fish there and put more pressure on the fish and basically ruin the fishing for the people who believe that the spot is actually theirs (like a secret spot). The more people coming to the spot, the worse it becomes for fishing and more garbage accumulates.

BTW, this is not a "believe". I've seen it first hand when spots are names and overnight there were many more people coming to the same spot. And yes, the increased traffic does put much more pressure on the fish. And with more people, you are certain to have some litterbugs who do not clean up after themselves.

If you like, do a social experiment. Name a particular spot and post a picture with background on a fishing forum when salmon are running. Better yet, give precise driving direction to the parking lot and then tell them how to hike to your fishing location. You'll quickly see why people keep their spots to themselves and why it is so quiet on the forum when the fishing is actually on fire.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
(09-22-2014 07:39 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If you like, do a social experiment. Name a particular spot and post a picture with background on a fishing forum when salmon are running. Better yet, give precise driving direction to the parking lot and then tell them how to hike to your fishing location. You'll quickly see why people keep their spots to themselves and why it is so quiet on the forum when the fishing is actually on fire.

(09-22-2014 07:26 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  I would imagine that your position will pretty much kill any chance of people here sharing location info with you sir.............

Regards,

OldTimer

LOL. Hey guys, I was just answering the other guy's question as to why people are so up-tight about their river spots. I actually answered it in a way to kind of troll, and illicit these strong responses from you both specifically. What better way to illustrate the idea/belief than to get the two strongest supporters of that mind set to voice their opinions!

Personally, I don't need to know any 'locations' from anyone here, if it's on a popular trib, chances are I've been there and if it's a secret spot, I respect it enough not to ask. I'm the kind of fisherman that starts around the CNR tracks and walks up past the 407 or highway 7 equivalent (as season dictates). I know all 'those' spots in people's pics where they have to blur out the concrete columns or rusty bridges etc. It's no secret.

And just so everyone knows, if I ever post locations are 'hot' on any forum, it's most likely a diversion so the spots I hit are less crowded. Use the internet against the loogans! That's the best way to be the best loogan actually Cool

Tight lines Tongue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Toasty for this post:
MRQturbo (09-25-2014)
09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
(09-22-2014 10:32 AM)Toasty Wrote:  
(09-22-2014 07:39 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If you like, do a social experiment. Name a particular spot and post a picture with background on a fishing forum when salmon are running. Better yet, give precise driving direction to the parking lot and then tell them how to hike to your fishing location. You'll quickly see why people keep their spots to themselves and why it is so quiet on the forum when the fishing is actually on fire.

(09-22-2014 07:26 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  I would imagine that your position will pretty much kill any chance of people here sharing location info with you sir.............

Regards,

OldTimer

LOL. Hey guys, I was just answering the other guy's question as to why people are so up-tight about their river spots. I actually answered it in a way to kind of troll, and illicit these strong responses from you both specifically. What better way to illustrate the idea/belief than to get the two strongest supporters of that mind set to voice their opinions!

Personally, I don't need to know any 'locations' from anyone here, if it's on a popular trib, chances are I've been there and if it's a secret spot, I respect it enough not to ask. I'm the kind of fisherman that starts around the CNR tracks and walks up past the 407 or highway 7 equivalent (as season dictates). I know all 'those' spots in people's pics where they have to blur out the concrete columns or rusty bridges etc. It's no secret.

And just so everyone knows, if I ever post locations are 'hot' on any forum, it's most likely a diversion so the spots I hit are less crowded. Use the internet against the loogans! That's the best way to be the best loogan actually Cool

Do tell.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
(09-22-2014 02:28 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Do tell.

Well right now there's a huge run of salmon on the Bowmanville Creek around the 401. Heard people are catching them by the droves.

Duffins Creek ain't worth anyone's time... visibility is zilch because of the 407 construction. So it ain't worth it... Cool

And don't worry, I never fish on the Grand Tongue