You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air travels with fishing rods
08-14-2013, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 03:35 PM by MuskieBait.)
Air travels with fishing rods
Taken off the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority's FAQ page...

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?I...s-de-sport

(quote)

Is fishing equipment permitted in carry-on baggage?

Fishing rods or poles (with hooks or flies shorter than 6 cm) are permitted as carry-on baggage, while fishing rods or poles with hooks or flies larger than 6 cm must be carried as checked baggage. Fishing tackle (e.g. reels, lines, flies, and pliers) should always be packed in your checked baggage.

Contact your air carrier for more information on size, weight and quantity limits for carry-on and checked baggage.

(end quote)

Caveat 1 - The rod you carry-on must fit within carry-on restriction. Most of the time, it's dependent on the airlines what they allow, so check with the specific airline! Most of the time, only 4-piece travel rods are allowed. They have to be short enough to fit into the overhead compartment. For some planes with small overhead compartments, even a 2-piece 6'6" rod will not fit. Air Canada is very anal about rods as carry-on. Eventually I just gave up and put my rods into checked luggage. But now that I know for sure CATSA allows rods on planes, I'll try to push back with Air Canada.

Caveat 2 - What is allowed for travel in Canada may not be allowed in other countries. Strangely, although fishing reels were not allowed in carry-on, I had taken 3 trips with reel in my carry-on and the Canadian customs did not confiscate them (one time I was asked to open my bag to check for contents, and nothing was said about my reels). BUT...I was stopped in France with my reels in the carry-on and almost had them confiscated. So be mindful and check with the respective countries you are traveling to. Worst case scenario is that you may be able to enter the country with your rods as carry-on, but you can't return to Canada with your rods as carry-on if the foreign country does not permit it. If you didn't pack the rods properly for checked luggage (ie, a crush proof travel rod case), you may end up with some shattered rods. No one wants to leave their rods behind, or bring home shattered rods.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM
RE: Air travels with fishing rods
A few times on Florida flight trips I've taken my reels.......... but bought a rod or two on sale at my destination....... and then mailed them to my self at home (suitable insurance is usually included), or had relatives drive them back when they came home.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 04:31 PM by MuskieBait.)
(08-14-2013 03:54 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  A few times on Florida flight trips I've taken my reels.......... but bought a rod or two on sale at my destination....... and then mailed them to my self at home (suitable insurance is usually included), or had relatives drive them back when they came home.

OT

Tried doing that once. But then realized...at a shipping cost of $30 minimum, I might as well bring my own rod with in the travel rod tube. The charge for a second luggage is $25-$35 (one way) for the entire rod tube, and I can bring 4 rods with me in the tube.

But the with amount I've traveled in the last 5 years, I want to save on the second luggage charge ($50-70 per trip...it really adds up!). Now, I'm appreciating the 3-piece and 4-piece travel rods which are under 33" collapsed size. I have 3 rod tube for these rod that can pack into my rolling duffel, plus two other tubes for fly rods...but I think I'll soon switch to a single 6" rod tube to hold all the rods. Having 4 separate rod tubes is quite a bit of weight (the rod tubes in total is about 4-5lbs!)...and if I can carry-on the rods, it's easier to just put them all into one tube.

The problem with buying rods at the destination is that you may or may not always find the gear you need...and I often end up wasting time going around everything looking for the right gear. In the past, even simple things like Gotchas, wire leader for sharks, circle hooks, heavy lead...etc, it often takes some time calling local shops and checking in person to find the right items. Finding the right rod would be even more problematic. Time is money and time is precious on vacation...there is no time to waste. Wink

On any particular trip, I bring 3 rods with me at the minimum of different lengths and action (and I actually use them all). If I have to buy 3-4 rods each trip and ship them home, I will have too many spare rods at home. I have too many rods already as is. Some of the items I've been selling lately is a testament to having too many rods and reels and tackle in general. I don't really need more. RolleyesBig Grin If I purchase 3 rods...even if they are $20 each, the cost adds up pretty quickly.

Not being a snob...but I need better performance than what a $20 rod can offer...sensitivity, responsiveness, weight, quality of component...etc. Even UglyStiks are more than $20 nowadays...but there are certain time and place UglyStiks just don't cut it.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Cheaper than golf............. smile.

See you on the river.
08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Definitely...that's why I don't golf (aside from the fact that golfers considers water as hazards!) Tongue

Malama o ke kai

08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
............ and the better (and quicker) you get at golf........... the more it costs per hour.

OT

See you on the river.