You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pike bait?
04-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Pike bait?
So I'm planning to fish for pike next weekend (zone 20 opener) at a spot where live minnows are illegal. My plan is basically to cast a red and white weedless spoon from shore into shallow areas where they were probably just spawning, though I could use jerkbaits too. What should I tip the hooks with though? I've heard worms aren't much good on pike, should I go with dead minnows? artificial/scented ones? It's probably too soon to salt minnows properly but I could just throw some salt on fresh dead ones for flavour?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Pike bait?
(04-29-2013 12:48 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  So I'm planning to fish for pike next weekend (zone 20 opener) at a spot where live minnows are illegal. My plan is basically to cast a red and white weedless spoon from shore into shallow areas where they were probably just spawning, though I could use jerkbaits too. What should I tip the hooks with though? I've heard worms aren't much good on pike, should I go with dead minnows? artificial/scented ones? It's probably too soon to salt minnows properly but I could just throw some salt on fresh dead ones for flavour?

I see no such restriction against live bait in Zone 20 ---????????

.pdf  mnr_e001339 - Zone 20.pdf (Size: 1.09 MB / Downloads: 8)

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 01:24 PM by tweedwolfscream.)
No, I'm going to Tommy Thompson Park which is a TRCA property, TRCA has a live bait ban. Just mentioning zone 20 so it doesn't look like I'm fishing before opening day Smile

Actually I should check into whether dead minnows are even okay, it's a bit ambiguous on the TTP website.
04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm sure one of the local TO anglers will avise on the TRCA rules........... and perhaps laso suggest tried and true succeessful lures used there.

But in the mean time your lure selection looks appropriate............ me : I'd tip the weedles spoon with a short white plastic twister tail.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
tweedwolfscream (04-30-2013)
04-29-2013, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 02:48 PM by MuskieBait.)
Not really necessary to tip the lures with bait. Sometimes tipping a lure with bait will throw the action off on the lure, especially lures like crankbaits and jerkbaits.

Spoons and spinners are a bit more forgiving in terms of tipping them with bait, but if you use too large a minnow, it can again throw the action off the lures.

The water is still cold. I would suggest fishing a deadbait under a float or slowly working soft plastic jerk shads or suspending crankbaits. Focus on shallow areas where water warms up faster...dark bottom is better than light bottom. Areas with immediate access to deeper water is good since fish can slide up onto shallow areas to sun and feed, then slide back to rest in the deeper water.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
tweedwolfscream (04-30-2013)
04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks. Maybe I'll cast without bait or try MuskieBait's techniques. I've emailed the TRCA for clarity about deadbait so hopefully I can get a straight answer.
04-29-2013, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 08:08 PM by MikeH.)
(04-29-2013 04:00 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Thanks. Maybe I'll cast without bait or try MuskieBait's techniques. I've emailed the TRCA for clarity about deadbait so hopefully I can get a straight answer.

http://fishontoronto.com/tommy-thompson-park/

TTP is zone 16 (2013 Pike opener is May 11th), Commercial deadbait that is labelled as VHS free is not a problem.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
(04-29-2013 07:51 PM)MikeH Wrote:  http://fishontoronto.com/tommy-thompson-park/

TTP is zone 16 (2013 Pike opener is May 11th), Commercial deadbait that is labelled as VHS free is not a problem.

I really think the thing about zone 16 on that page is a mistake, or rather it's technically correct but misleading... take a look at the legal zone 16/20 boundary map for the Toronto Harbour: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...241378.pdf (see Detail 10). It shows that the boundary follows along the shoreline of Lake Ontario, including along all the lagoons of Leslie Spit. So while it's true that the land of Tommy Thompson Park is in FMZ 16, the waters I'd be casting into are FMZ 20.

And I had assumed that regs go according to the water you're fishing, not the land you're standing on, or else shore fishers could never take advantage of extended season rivers. But if that's not clear, I'll contact the MNR to be sure.
04-29-2013, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 09:49 PM by MikeH.)
I just emailed Wil Wegman to get clarification. I had been told by a CO in the park back in 2011 that it was zone 16.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks - I agree that the park itself is zone 16, but that would only really apply to landlocked ponds within it (and I only know one of those). The lagoons and embayments connected to Lake Ontario should be zone 20 per the boundary map.

I just got a response from TRCA on the deadbait question - "Thanks for your email. We have no big concerns with using dead bait. I hope you enjoy fishing at the park."

I'm not gonna bother asking what "big concerns" means haha