You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Possible Fishing Ban at Grenadier Pond
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
RE: Possible Fishing Ban at Grenadier Pond
Summary of Feb 25 Meeting.
Fishing is not Banned in Grenadier Pond!
The Kids Catch Fishing Day in July will continue.
Two line recepticals for waste line will be installed by MNR
North End of Grenadier Pond will be Restricted from fishing.

Solutions to the poaching problems and the injury to birds and wildlife are being proposed for further study.

Municipal By-Laws would have to be made and enforced.

i will not get into the proposed ideas as most will not be implemented.

The biggest change would be the restricted areas.
The areas proposed are bird nesting areas and places with excessive snag potential. A comprimise that makes the other partners at High Park happier and less likely to attack fishing.

If TUFA puts some effort into this i think we will be sucessful at a workable solution.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
(02-25-2013 09:57 PM)tangledline Wrote:  Two line recepticals for waste line will be installed by MNR

I'm intersted in this as I've tried getting some support from Berkley (and others) to get something like this happening in Canada (like they do in USA) ....... to no avail.

Has the MNR placed such receptacles at other places?

Do they have a program for this?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
(02-25-2013 09:57 PM)tangledline Wrote:  i will not get into the proposed ideas as most will not be implemented.

just curious. Can you elaborate why you think most will not be implemented?
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
re recepticles...the mnr is introducing a pilot project at Lake Simcoe this spring as well as at Grenadier Pond as a favour.

some of the proposed ideas they want to implement can not be enforced easily enough without violating peoples rights.

can the average person tell if you are using lead for a weight or some other material...only an MNR enforcement officer can ask to see your tackle and if they are not there everyday people will use lead weights.
02-27-2013, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 03:55 PM by OldTimer.)
(02-26-2013 07:25 PM)tangledline Wrote:  re recepticles...the mnr is introducing a pilot project at Lake Simcoe this spring as well as at Grenadier Pond as a favour.

some of the proposed ideas they want to implement can not be enforced easily enough without violating peoples rights.

can the average person tell if you are using lead for a weight or some other material...only an MNR enforcement officer can ask to see your tackle and if they are not there everyday people will use lead weights.

Thanks for the info. Good stuff re the boxes.

But I must note for others reading this that lead sinkers and jigs are NOT currently restricted in most of Ontario - except as noted in the 2013 regulations- and that would be Canada's National Parks and Canadian National Wildlife Areas which are not much acreage in southern Ontario.

clip from 2013 Ontario Fishing Regulations:

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-03-2013, 12:49 PM
(02-26-2013 03:17 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 09:57 PM)tangledline Wrote:  Two line recepticals for waste line will be installed by MNR

I'm intersted in this as I've tried getting some support from Berkley (and others) to get something like this happening in Canada (like they do in USA) ....... to no avail.

Has the MNR placed such receptacles at other places?

Do they have a program for this?

Good to know we're getting some fishing line collection in Ontario. Hopefully the pilot project takes off and they'll be ready to expand it.

[Image: logobgs.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
OldTimer (03-03-2013)
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi,
I hope the ban doesn't go through.
I sent the following email to Highpark management expressing my opinion...

Mr Ture,

I was just reading about the potential fishing ban at high park's grenadier pond. I have great memories fishing grenadier pond as a kid, and hope for my kids to share new memories there. Please find ways to protect native wildlife from abandoned fishing line, that punishes the offenders, and not everyone else who fishes your waters respectfully.

If the pond is being overfished, charge a small fee for fishing the pond as some conservation areas do. This will not only reduce the overfishing, but would generate income to help boost resources to manage the offenders who are leaving behind abandoned fishing line.

I'm sure there are other viable options to deal with the probrem, a ban should be a last measure. And to start a ban in order to research the problem seems absurd.  Do the research first to prove a ban is required, not the other way around.

Please don't ban fishing at grenadier pond.

Thanks,
Pimentel family.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Pimentel for this post:
tangledline (03-19-2013)
03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Stupid how some people ruin it for everyone else. And I agree with MuskieBait that the idea of wearing your license around your neck is ridiculous...
03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I stole Ken's wonderful post and placed it here.
Stewardship is a must of every urban shoreline angler!

Shoreline cleanup at High Park - April 28, 2013

The Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassador program is organizing a shoreline cleanup at Grenadier Pond. You can follow the link below for information and to sign up.

http://www.shorelinecleanup.ca/en/cl...pond-high-park

This event is a critical step forward and a "show of force" to demonstrate that anglers do care about the environment and welfare of Grenadier Pond and High Park. Do attend if you want to preserve our continued access at Grenadier Pond for fishing purposes.

Ken
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
(03-19-2013 07:47 PM)tangledline Wrote:  I stole Ken's wonderful post and placed it here.
Stewardship is a must of every urban shoreline angler!

Not my wonderful post...but our wonderful event. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
tangledline (03-21-2013)