You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Show off your Tackle and Storage Area?
08-09-2013, 09:18 PM
RE: Show off your Tackle and Storage Area?
(08-09-2013 03:23 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Here's where I've stored 1000's of my lures, hooks, and sinkers over the last half century and then some:

On the bottom of lakes, rivers, ponds, in trees, on rocks, or attached to fish or mysterious monsters.

........... smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

LOL! If only we could all find the lures we have stashed over the years!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 08:07 PM
(08-09-2013 12:04 PM)DonFisher Wrote:  I keep everything in my car .. not sure if lazy to take out or lazy to pack when go fishing..... might be both LOL

I keep everything in my car also you never know when the opportunity will arise to go fishing ,, your by a lake the fish are jumping ,,,awww you have no rod ,,if you leave it in the car your always prepared now mater what ,,, Just sayin ,,,, Cool
11-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi to everyone, Quick question on storage? Is it okay to leave rod reels in the garage over Winter? Garage is not insulated. Do I need to bring them in? Thanks
11-11-2013, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 04:33 PM by MuskieBait.)
It should be fine.

Do realize that the cold weather could lower the viscosity of your grease and oil. Grease and oil could get thick enough to inhibit motion in your reel (anti-reverse, bearings, even some gears). If you happen to play with the reel, or just checking things out, and notices that your reel is not turning smoothly, DO NOT force it! Some reels have plastic parts that could snap, or screws that are screwed into the plastic housing that can strip with excessive force.

Warm up the reel before you turn the handle.

I suffered complete reel failure once while icefishing when the grease in the reel froze solid. I cranked on the reel too hard and the screw holding the little lever that controls the anti-reverse switch was stripped from the reel body. There was no way to fix the screw since plastic was completely stripped off the body and the hole was now much wider than the screw. Aside from that, I've also had reel drag seized since the oil in the felt washer froze.

If you don't intend to use your fishing rods and reels until spring, you shouldn't need to worry to much. And to be honest, the gear in the garage is not exposed to the full coldness, so it is somewhat protected.

Although theoretically rods can also get brittle in the cold, I've yet to have a rod snapped in the winter due to temperature. Guides, especially ceramic such as aluminum oxide, could also get brittle and crack easier in the cold. That's why many icefishing rods use stainless steel guides.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
^^^^ ditto...

... but not wise to leave items that can rust (carbon steel hooks, etc) due to possible condensation induced oxidation of the iron.......... or items that can freeze (pork rind or plastics in a water base solution), in the sub zero temperatures.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Never too late to say thank you for the replies.... sorry never bothered to check answers to my question until today... Thanks everyone.
06-13-2016, 10:44 PM
(08-09-2013 03:23 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Here's where I've stored 1000's of my lures, hooks, and sinkers over the last half century and then some:

On the bottom of lakes, rivers, ponds, in trees, on rocks, or attached to fish or mysterious monsters.

........... smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

Hmmm makes me wonder if they make waterproof metal detectors. Would love to go sweeping the local waters for underwater stuck lures.
06-20-2016, 02:54 PM
I really need to get better organized!