You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Smallest fish yet
07-17-2016, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 03:32 PM by Fossil Fish.)
Smallest fish yet
So after having to work yesterday, the first Saturday in a long time, I went to my usual area for small fish (with credit to Muskiebait for telling me about it). There is a creek near the pond I usually go to, but due to road construction, yesterday was the first time I got to try it. As soon as I got to the edge of the creek, I see a large carp swimming by. The red ants were nasty, but I was able to stand in a couple of inches of water to deter them. All I got there was 1 creek chub and several good scares. There were a pair of beavers a few feet away under the bridge and with minimal traffic, the spot was quiet except when one of them decided to dive.    
I soon gave up and went back to the pond. My original spot from June is now totally weed choked, although I tried in the few openings that were left. Lots of very small fish were visible, but none had interest in my offerings. I then tried the spot where I caught my first fathead minnow at the beginning of the week, but there was nothing there now (that I could see). One more spot a bit further along was also fruitless, so I gave up and tried another creek closer to home that had fish, but they were also small and I'd gone 0 for 2 there already.
First area I try and the fish are still there. I put a tanago hook on (Owner smallest) and a tiny piece of worm and finally, the fish are interested. Before now, they avoided my offerings but almost immediately, I was getting bites. Getting the fish to stay on long enough for me to land them was a challenge, I lost several in mid air, but I did get a couple into the photo box. I was initially excited thinking I had one of the striped shiner species, specifically blackchin, but looking at the scales, I'm thinking these are juvenile creek chub. With the larger one at maybe 1.25" and the other about 1", they are my smallest fish yet, and if they are creek chub, they are still too young for the distinctive dorsal fin spot. What do you think -new species for my list or do I have to settle with the satisfaction of finally getting some of these little buggers?            
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2016, 05:05 PM
RE: Smallest fish yet
Yeah, those are small Creek Chubs.

Have you try some areas with woody structure? I find more variety around areas with wood and weed mix.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply