You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tackle/Fishing Supplies..Tips/Tricks
07-08-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: Tackle/Fishing Supplies..Tips/Tricks
"Dont store a jig, rigged with a plastic, back into a bag of plastic, especially if they are salted baits. They will rust the jig"

Learned this the hard way!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 04:19 PM by OldTimer.)
Here's a tip I've kept forgetting to post.......

I play guitar...... and have found that used Electric Bass Guitar Gig Bags make great rod cases for multiple rods (2 pc 7 foot and under, with equal length sections) with the reels attached. (a full size electric bass is about 44 inches long).

Keep an eye out at garage sales etc........ you can usually get a beater one for $5 to $10. They are padded, most are somewhat water resistant, and even have a shoulder strap and pockets.

Not intended for air travel - but real handy in your car or truck for the trips - and/or when you don't want to strip down yer gear.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
sometimes the hooks on the rig tamer will hook everywhere and cause a mess, I put the rig tamer in the cylinder box of Lay's potato chips.
(05-09-2012 12:28 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 10:35 PM)Limeyangler Wrote:  I go to the wine making store and buy bags of loose corks...i make a slit in the top, press the line of my walleye spinner rigs into the slot.....then wrap the rest around the cork and secure by pushing the hook through the cork. Neat, tidy, secure and tangle free way of storing.

Didn't think of that. I got myself a Lindy Rigger for $4 after I saw MikeH packing one

[Image: 1002259_1.jpg]

Great for storing rigs, $4 well spent I think. Much better than the ziplock bag method I was using before that Tongue
10-26-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 04:19 PM by OldTimer.)
Here’s a handy little tool for the tackle box. I’ve used these for years for a multitude of purposes. Used one just recently to tweak a side planer I bought.

- Torch tip cleaner.

They’re really made for cleaning out the gas and oxygen ports of acetylene cutting torches.

It’s basically a set of a dozen different fine wire reamers, plus a small flat file. Think of them as minature rat tail files.

Great for cleaning the dried bait gunk out of hook eyes, the paint out of new jig head eyes, de-burring a small opening, opening up the size of a small hole.

(also great for deepening the groves in guitar bridges and nuts.....smile)

CTC $6, Princess Auto 4$............. or if you know a welder or metal worker possibly free……….

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
SAIL in Ottawa currently has a bargin bin sale on crank-baits. Everything less than 2.99 lots of brands and styles. Diving minnows, craws, frogs of various sizes.

The Dollarama stores also sell lunker-hunt Education kits for 3$ which is worth it just for the plastic baits alone.
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
(10-28-2013 04:10 PM)MichaelGA Wrote:  SAIL in Ottawa currently has a bargin bin sale on crank-baits. Everything less than 2.99 lots of brands and styles. Diving minnows, craws, frogs of various sizes.

The Dollarama stores also sell lunker-hunt Education kits for 3$ which is worth it just for the plastic baits alone.

I find that every time I buy lures from the bargain bin, I end up never using them. Most of the lures I use, I use because I've directly seen other people catch fish on them. I have tonnes of tackle that I probably will never use that has come out of "bargain bins".... regretful purchasing decisions.

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 03:16 PM by MuskieBait.)
(10-28-2013 08:03 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I find that every time I buy lures from the bargain bin, I end up never using them. Most of the lures I use, I use because I've directly seen other people catch fish on them. I have tonnes of tackle that I probably will never use that has come out of "bargain bins".... regretful purchasing decisions.

^ Yeah...that's exactly WHY I have trays after trays of lures that were brand new and unused...

Sometimes, you just can't argue with the tried and true lures.

Experiment all you like...after 20 years of testing out lures, I came to the conclusion that I'll let OTHERS test out lure (most of the time)...unless I see something really compelling that I just have to try out myself.

Most bargain bin lures are there for a reason...because they don't sell as well as the lure hanging on the racks (at full price)...and those lures don't sell as well for a very good reason. Wink

Here and there, you may get some goodies in the bargain bins...like 6" Rapala Skitter Walk for $5 each at BassPro I found once. There is very limited applications here for that large a lure locally (in Ontario)...but it doesn't mean the lures are useless or badly designed. Mine are still new in package...but they are waiting for the day to be munched by Giant Trevally or a BIG Barramundi. Angel

Another very good lure I found in the bargain bin, which I haven't seen ever since, is a 2" Yo-Zuri crankbait. They look a little like Pins Minnow, but the lip design and angle is different. I've caught quite a few fish with them...but unfortunately I lost one and only had one left. They were $2 at the time...and you can't even get Pins Minnow at that price.

You just gotta know what you are getting. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-07-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 04:15 PM by OldTimer.)
(11-07-2013 03:11 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(10-28-2013 08:03 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I find that every time I buy lures from the bargain bin, I end up never using them. Most of the lures I use, I use because I've directly seen other people catch fish on them. I have tonnes of tackle that I probably will never use that has come out of "bargain bins".... regretful purchasing decisions.

^ Yeah...that's exactly WHY I have trays after trays of lures that were brand new and unused...

Sometimes, you just can't argue with the tried and true lures.

Most bargain bin lures are there for a reason...because they don't sell as well as the lure hanging on the racks (at full price)...and those lures don't sell as well for a very good reason. Wink

Here and there, you may get some goodies in the bargain bins...
You just gotta know what you are getting. Wink

Yeah, no kidding - I have a BIG bunch of duds kicking around too.... enough to completely fill a few tackle boxes........ which I've been considering doing for our next family garage sale.

Yes there's the occasional deal in a bargain bin - but it's rare. The stuff that sometimes is ok is discontinued models of high end lures - or damaged packaging or opened stock of "Brand Name" tackle.

Buyer beware........... If it seems like too good a deal, it usually is.

OT

See you on the river.
11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Sell it on Kijiji OT...you get much better returns for your brand new lures than at a garage sales. Smile

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
(11-07-2013 05:19 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Sell it on Kijiji OT...you get much better returns for your brand new lures than at a garage sales. Smile

Seconded. Throw an ad up there!

[Image: logobgs.png]