You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Targeting species
10-03-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Targeting species
(10-03-2015 08:34 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 10:12 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 03:54 PM)TASPL-Designs Wrote:  Question, I've been seeing it a lot lately online.

Why do people catch carp, Is it just for sport/the fight or do people eat it too? (I'm just curious)

I caught one by accident when I was a kid, and it was one of the heaviest fights I've ever had fishing, was really fun.

Most people fish carp for the sport of it... The fish, though, is perfectly edible; that being said I have never tried it.

I catch most of my fish for sport and rarely keeps any. I've tried Common Carp a couple of times...OK, but not great...so I don't keep any of them.

Like MB, I too release 99% of my fish.

For me Common Carp is about the fight on light tackle. They are edible, I've eaten it five or six times along the way (fried, baked, and smoked) - but not something I prefer.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Lots of great info and tips in these posts. Thanks all.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2015, 08:27 AM
(10-02-2015 10:12 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 03:54 PM)TASPL-Designs Wrote:  Question, I've been seeing it a lot lately online.

Why do people catch carp, Is it just for sport/the fight or do people eat it too? (I'm just curious)

I caught one by accident when I was a kid, and it was one of the heaviest fights I've ever had fishing, was really fun.

Most people fish carp for the sport of it... The fish, though, is perfectly edible; that being said I have never tried it.

For the sport only man. I have tried eating carp and all you have to do is move the letters around to get the taste- C R A P
10-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Carp definitely has a distinct taste and to some extent its palatability is a cultural thing... it's considered a delicacy in parts of Asia and Eastern Europe and not very popular around these parts. Aside from taste there's the issue that carp are prone to heavy contamination when in polluted waters, such as the Great Lakes harbours where they're most often found. But according to the MOE fish consumption guide, there's nothing wrong with eating carp from cleaner, inland waters such as the Kawartha Lakes, Lake Simcoe/Holland River/Holland Marsh canals, and even Grenadier Pond.
10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
One of the times I had it - the fish had been taken by commercial fisherman in the deep waters of northern Georgian Bay off the French River/Bustard Island area - it was not bad actually. The fillets had been butterflied into thinner slabs floured, then deep fried amazingly fast in wow hot lard over a camp fire................. the beer may have helped too.............smile.

If it was excellent - you'd see it farm raised locally and sold in Sobey's and Fortino's.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
10-14-2015, 04:03 PM
As Tweed said, it is all a matter of taste. Carp does not align with typical North American taste, but it certainly aligns with European and Asian taste as they are farm raised and sold at markets, especially Asian markets.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-20-2015, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 01:24 AM by fritzy.)
Targeting carp is extremely easy. Other purists will tell you otherwise...

My advice, you have to use common sense when targeting these fish. What I mean by this is....

Let's say you're fishing a harbour (Pier 4 in hamilton) well, this a huge body of water and what exactly can you do to get the fish to come to you? Oh, I should mention, location is everything with carp - if they just aren't there you won't have a hope in hell.

With that said, bait up HEAVILY - at ALL times. Now, I realize some will disagree but this is just my opinion. For places that are infested with gobies, shy away from sweet corn at all costs. Instead, get a bucket, some instant oats (red bag from quaker) or large flake oats (yellow bag from quaker) and mix with 1 can of creamed corn for every kilo of oatmeal. No other flavourings are necessary really, but you can add them if you like. (Vanilla, cinnamon, chili etc.) I typically don't, I find the creamed corn gives it enough of a smell and attractant power. Mix it all together, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. It will become nice and sticky and you make it into balls. You can mould it around your sinker and cast it out, but it may fall off mid cast. So, I usually just chuck it out. Carpet bomb the area, and then cast over it with your hookbait. Works the treat for me everywhere I go, and it's cheap.

How much you ask to throw in? Use common sense, if the fish are steady use the idea of "a little and often". If it's dead, go a bit heavier. That's how I've done it.

As far as baits, the best ever, most instant carp bait EVER is sweet corn right out of the can. No flavouring added. However, nuisance fish like gobies and catfish will also take this. However, in areas where these populations are low sweet corn is straight up deadly.

In gobie / catfish waters, use boilies or maise (feed corn). Go to your local bait shop and they should have carp bait by now as the sport is starting to catch on here.

Rule of thumb for flavours - fruity in the summer/spring, and fishy in the winter/autumn (I.E. Pinapple in the summer and a mussel/halibut flavour in autumn/winter.)

Rigs? Don't let the purists fool you here, you can fish the sweetcorn or manufactured corn straight on the hook without issue - i've caught loads on this method. However, if you are using boilies or other harder bait (maise) use a hair rig. These are super easy to tie and always result in a solid hook hold. Keep it simple, and don't get blindsided by how the europeans complicate this rig. YouTube is your friend in this situation.

Next, you will want to use a heavy led/sinker. I advise 1.5 ounces plus - the heavier the better really. The idea is, that once the carp feels the prick of the hook it will bolt and hook itself. YouTube "bolt rig". This is almost mandatory. I use this style of rig 100% of the time and it results in a good hook hold with no hook-set necessary!

Rod / reel wise? Well, a baitrunner is handy. Or, a simple spinning reel/baitcaster with the drag all the way down. Why? Well, once the carp feels that prick of the hook it will go on an instantaneous run. This run, will and has pulled rods into the water. I've seen this happen many, many times. It's a great laugh actually. So, get yourself a cheap baitrunner, or use your current reel with the drag all the way down and then adjust as necessary when the fish is hooked.

Carp fishing in general is a circus. Please don't get blindsided by all the euro tackle, baits and rigs. All you need is a hair rig/hook, a heavy sinker, chum and a silky smooth drag and you're good to go. A rod pod is nice (I have one) and a bite alarm makes it all that much more exciting but none of it is necessary.

All depends on how far you want to take it... don't blame me when you're bass tackle starts to collect dust!
10-22-2015, 08:46 AM
hello new here

for lm bass i use top water mice frogs and wacky rig senkos
sm bass i use crank and jerk baits
pike i just love my spooks and lt baitballs and husky jerks midday seems to work good for me

last but not least channel cats fresh cut bait