You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ontario Target Species
11-15-2013, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2013 12:15 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Ontario Target Species
If I'm around that June weekend (which I should be unless it's my convocation weekend...), I'll be there for the 3-day campaign. I've also seen Quillback in that same spot...but I haven't seen them since. There is a much deeper pool a little downstream where I've seen Quillback. The only difficulty there is the number of Rockbass in the same pool.

Will keep Bon Echo in mind. Thanks.

I don't know anyone who has caught a Bloater or Kiyi hook and line. I've some sick obsession to try it one day...but none of my boater friends (with adequate size boats) are interested in such low percentage game...but maybe I can ask my friend Richard to explore such exploit if he takes one of his Point A to Point B pleasure boating trip...maybe I can convince him to drift out in 300 feet for a day. He does have a nice cruiser that can handle some big waters out there.

I would probably need 8oz of weight, 30lb braid, some #12 hooks and pieces of clams for bait (read they eat small clams) Big Grin

Would love to catch a Bloater and post it on Roughfish. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2013, 12:01 AM
(11-15-2013 12:07 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If I'm around that June weekend (which I should be unless it's my convocation weekend...), I'll be there for the 3-day campaign. I've also seen Quillback in that same spot...but I haven't seen them since. There is a much deeper pool a little downstream where I've seen Quillback. The only difficulty there is the number of Rockbass in the same pool.

Will keep Bon Echo in mind. Thanks.

I don't know anyone who has caught a Bloater or Kiyi hook and line. I've some sick obsession to try it one day...but none of my boater friends (with adequate size boats) are interested in such low percentage game...but maybe I can ask my friend Richard to explore such exploit if he takes one of his Point A to Point B pleasure boating trip...maybe I can convince him to drift out in 300 feet for a day. He does have a nice cruiser that can handle some big waters out there.

I would probably need 8oz of weight, 30lb braid, some #12 hooks and pieces of clams for bait (read they eat small clams) Big Grin

Would love to catch a Bloater and post it on Roughfish. Tongue

Lol a photo of you on there holding a stringer of bloater...

On a more serious note, it might actually be possible if you can find out where they spawn and if that happens to be similar to a location where more common members of the whitefish family spawn...shallow windswept lake margins, rocky streams, etc.
If they're deep water spawners, forget it.
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Largemouth and smallmouth buffalo can be found at the whirlpool. We've caught a couple this summer. Very rare though, and we have no idea how to specifically target them. They were all caught by happy accident using 2 XXL Corns (Those huge ones) on hair rigs with feeders when going for carp. One of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen in my life, with iridescent scales and dark black eyes
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
What are you packing into the feeders, mcfly? Breadcrumb and ...?
11-17-2013, 03:25 AM
(11-16-2013 06:04 PM)Eli Wrote:  What are you packing into the feeders, mcfly? Breadcrumb and ...?

Some people on this forum know of my passion for making carp feed lol. Luckily, some of my friends work at restaurants and bring different stuff to mix in each time. We're talking random mix of 12+ ingredients sometimes Tongue Hard to say what was used on the particular times buffalo was caught. I think beans and peas are something we would use at whirlpool but not really in urban carping. Also peanuts and lots of flour lol

I've actually seen the buffalo just looking into the water from the shore too. They cruise around with carp sometimes
11-17-2013, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2013 09:48 PM by Eli.)
That's interesting. Going to have to look into getting some creep feed and making the hike down to the whirlpool this summer...

The problem with the Niagara (and the St. Lawrence for that matter) is that baits that would likely work on buffalo cannot be used in the summer months due to gobies. I never bottom rig nightcrawlers or sweet corn on the St. Lawrence as the gobies strip the hook clean seconds after it settles on the bottom.