You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tic Tic Tic - Trout Opens Saturday in ZONE 16
04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: Tic Tic Tic - Trout Opens Saturday in ZONE 16
Trout Season Opener 2012:

I did get out today on Bronte Creek – in the mid/upper stretches (2nd side road, 4th side road, etc…..)

Weather was a wee bit cool, but a clear sky… and a thermos of piping hot black coffee, and a bag of Schneider’s pepperoni sticks - made things just grand.

Water was crystal clear, and quite low (far below usual opening day levels that I recall).

Even though I was at the water within an hour of sunrise, many had preceded me – in fact a few had apparently already done their “tour” and were leaving as I arrived.

I would like to report I was fantastically successful, but…… nope……………..but the 5 gents I spoke to were sharing similar levels of achievement.

Never did see any trout, had a few strikes, did see a few small carp, and did have more than a few smallmouth chase my spinners, or other offerings.

However - I did see two forms of “anglers from hell” in my travels:

Type 1: “Best Dressed, Best Equipped, Worst Manners A..Hole” – with his $300 waders, Orvis custom float rod, imported float reel, blue-toothed, and apparently (in his mind) the owner of the universe. This specimen endears all by his disregard for any common courtesy, or base line respect - by fishing almost right over top of you, and floating his stuff directly in front of you… and then is appalled and disgusted when you calmly suggest that he give you some elbow room. …. (but I’d bet those teeth are not his…… smile)

Type 2: “Pack Hunting Cletus’s of North America” - They came in two’s this year for me. They are happy go lucky sorta guys with lots of energy, very loud, big smiles, have the biggest net I’ve seen in my life, and empty noggins. They are quite adept at marching at a fair pace right up the center of the water…………… However they report that they never seem to see any fish…….. well - isn’t that strange? YEEEEEEEHAW!

Barring the above – I did see many other regular guys who were out for fun, having it, and were quite pleasant.

I’m happy……….

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2012, 02:28 AM
(04-28-2012 03:01 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Trout Season Opener 2012:

I did get out today on Bronte Creek – in the mid/upper stretches (2nd side road, 4th side road, etc…..)

Weather was a wee bit cool, but a clear sky… and a thermos of piping hot black coffee, and a bag of Schneider’s pepperoni sticks - made things just grand.

Water was crystal clear, and quite low (far below usual opening day levels that I recall).

Even though I was at the water within an hour of sunrise, many had preceded me – in fact a few had apparently already done their “tour” and were leaving as I arrived.

I would like to report I was fantastically successful, but…… nope……………..but the 5 gents I spoke to were sharing similar levels of achievement.

Never did see any trout, had a few strikes, did see a few small carp, and did have more than a few smallmouth chase my spinners, or other offerings.

Type 1: “Best Dressed, Best Equipped, Worst Manners A..Hole” – with his $300 waders, Orvis custom float rod, imported float reel, blue-toothed, and apparently (in his mind) the owner of the universe. This specimen endears all by his disregard for any common courtesy, or base line respect - by fishing almost right over top of you, and floating his stuff directly in front of you… and then is appalled and disgusted when you calmly suggest that he give you some elbow room. …. (but I’d bet those teeth are not his…… smile)

Type 2: “Pack Hunting Cletus’s of North America” - They came in two’s this year for me. They are happy go lucky sorta guys with lots of energy, very loud, big smiles, have the biggest net I’ve seen in my life, and empty noggins. They are quite adept at marching at a fair pace right up the center of the water…………… However they report that they never seem to see any fish…….. well - isn’t that strange? YEEEEEEEHAW!

Barring the above – I did see many other regular guys who were out for fun, having it, and were quite pleasant.

I’m happy……….

Cheers,

OldTimer

OldTimer this MADE MY DAY!!! Halarious!!!!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

You've pretty much summed up the river-bound characters!!! Hahahah I've had guys park right up next to me to fish a hole LOL ... a hole Tongue

And the zoo of the opener was not limited to Bronte. Northern duffins had a parking lot overflow onto the road!!!

[Image: logobgs.png]
04-29-2012, 02:29 AM
(04-26-2012 02:20 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(04-25-2012 07:35 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  [quote='MuskieBait' pid='1384' dateline='1335376855']
Fly fishing this weekend for my little brookie friends. I seriously miss them a lot.

I have an extra rod at home...so if you want to try out fly fishing one day before you go and buy something, let me know. May is pretty busy for me, but June or July could be a possibility.

This would be wonderful Ken, I'll pm you in June.

04-29-2012, 10:49 PM
let's fly
Find all posts by this user
04-22-2013, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 03:19 PM by OldTimer.)
(04-29-2012 02:28 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-28-2012 03:01 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Trout Season Opener 2012:

I’m happy……….

Cheers,

OldTimer

OldTimer this MADE MY DAY!!! Halarious!!!!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

You've pretty much summed up the river-bound characters!!! Hahahah I've had guys park right up next to me to fish a hole LOL ... a hole Tongue

And the zoo of the opener was not limited to Bronte. Northern duffins had a parking lot overflow onto the road!!!

Well - this year should be a different opener with much higher water levels and a very good chance that some fish will be up stream.

Think I'll avoid the insanity this time round - and save my gas for much bigger quarry next week...........meow.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm gonna be hitting some smaller practically unknown creeks that I've been keeping an eye on. If they stay the way they do, it' gonna be a great opener Big Grin
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
I would try Rouge River this Saturday.
04-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Now's getting to the time when I can have a blast fishing just 10 minutes from my house...

I'm just a little excited!

OT... I know where you're heading... Tongue

04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Was a Great Day for me,

I Think It was even better for Onwind and michael...

I fished toogood pond milne rouge south of milne and robinson creek.

We managed to catch trout at all stops, with a few Smolts, which could most likely be some of the hatchery raised trout.

Lets here what onwind and michael have to say about their day...

~Jeremy

04-28-2013, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 06:58 AM by onwind.)
It's really a good day for me. 4 fishes hit on my bait and I landed 2 of them successfully.
Last night I caught a dozen of night crawlers in a muddy grass near my home. and I set up the alarm clock at 5:30 before I went to bed. however when I woke up I found the day had been bright then I was surprised to find I have set my cell phone in silent mode and it was already 5:45. so I got up quickly and went straight towords rouge river.

when I get to the river side, there are not many people and I only saw two people from east Europe fishing near me. firstly I tried the night crawler and after a few casts a very small rainbow which is around 8 cm was landed. I believe this fish is one of those we stocked. In the photo the red hook's size is 14, and there was blood near the fish's eye. I was wondering whether my hook had hurt its eye.

then I move to another spot and landed a small chrome steelhead which was around 1 pound weight. I probably played this fish too hard, when I release it, it swam back lamely just like looking for help to me. So I picked it up and helped it move back and forth in the water for a couple of times then it swam away happily.

then I moved to the 3rd spot but no fish was willing to bite
then I moved to the 4th spot, in a hole near a falling tree a very beautiful steelhead hit my roe bag, it's around 6 pounds and it jump out the water around 1 meter high. after fighting with him for more than 5 minutes. I decided to change a direction to pull my line, however this action make the line loose and the fish escaped. then at the same spot another steelhead of the same size hit my roe bag again. this time it managed to escape in 2 runs.
when I wanted to move to the next spot, my wife called me and asked me to go back home. it's a very good start for this year. It's the first time I land more than one rainbow in the same day.