You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Back and forth drilling motion when using an auger?
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Back and forth drilling motion when using an auger?
I've heard a few people mention that they drill holes by moving the auger 1/2 turn one way and then 1/2 turn the other way instead of simply rotating in a constant circle? Is there any advantage to this?

Michael

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 10:07 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Back and forth drilling motion when using an auger?
That's terrible...don't know who you hear that from...

Every time you back it off, and then turn again, your blade bangs against the tiny edge of ice that was formed from the last cut...fastest way to dull the blade...

Imagine going through 24" of ice doing that the whole time? You'll never get a hole drilled.

You really only back it up if you're close to the last tiny bit of ice until you hit water...sometimes the ice gets a bit "sticky"...and as water seeps up, it makes the last bit of ice difficult to shave off. That's when you don't want to force the blade through (bend the angle of the blade)...but rather back it up and try to find a new spot for the blade to grab.

The rotation of the auger blades is really just designed to shave off the surface of the ice layer by layer. You need a constant rotation with downward pressure to shave off the ice. You accomplish nothing by doing 1/2 rotations...

Don't even try that messed up method with my auger...or you'll be buying me new blades...I'm serious...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 12:24 AM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
What MB, Said, Careful with those blades.

not Even a Full Ice season, and I either need to get mine sharpend or Get replacement blades,
I had one friend actually think he had to hammer it down into the ice before he started drilling...
I guess I'm nicer Than MB, Or maybe its just his good looking daughter?? I dunno ....

The blades of your auger should be treated as razor blades. Keep them protect from cutting you and from getting dull

~Jeremy

Find all posts by this user
01-24-2013, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 02:05 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Got it.

I probably misunderstood what I was overhearing... or I was overhearing other noobs... blind leading blind style.

01-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Lol Jeremy.

1:Bang bang bang!
2:"What're you trying to accomplish over here sir?"
1:"I'm drilling a hole. What does it look like I'm doing?"
2:"With a hammer? Well, the best of luck to you."

4 hrs and many fish later a sound can be heard in the distance... Bang bang bang....

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. –Koos Brandt
01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
(01-24-2013 12:22 AM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  I had one friend actually think he had to hammer it down into the ice before he started drilling...

Brutal. I would have been livid.

...but yeah, the only time for back and forth is in the last 1-2" of ice before you break through.

Did you end up getting the FinBoreIII, Michael?
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
(01-24-2013 10:00 AM)Eli Wrote:  Did you end up getting the FinBoreIII, Michael?

Took her for a test spin this morning at a local pond Wink.

Now that I have proper winter attire and the weather is bitter cold, she's going to see plenty of action in the coming weeks.