You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Where can you catch Rainbow Trout and SteelHeads in Richmond Hill/Markham
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 09:56 PM by angler1.)
RE: Where can you catch Rainbow Trout and SteelHeads in Richmond Hill/Markham
I was there today, looking for some shore fishing spots. I think the sign said 25 yards. I also parked at the KFC and walked down to the pond. There weren't many spots that were easily accessible by shore. It looked a bit stagnant and polluted and there was an unpleasant smell. I didn't find this to be a very nice place to even talk a walk let alone fish. I still have a hard time believing that there are actually any fish in this pond.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes It is not pleasant, I dont know why the Citizens of markham want to "KEEP" the pond...

You would have noticed the water level is down about 2 feet wich will create a colder water system and help the fish species, if we do not get rain for 2-3 weeks the pond will be almost a river the way the fishway is opened right now.. last friday we had some rain and it filled the pond, the water is clearer and claener than it was even 2 weeks ago...

And to stop all confusion...

the sign suggests no fishing 25 yards, downstream from dam...

which would be near 75 feet, sorry do not know why I thought it was closer to the number 150 feet.

But that wire hole would be closer to 150 feet either way....

there are Rainbow trout above the 6 pound mark in the milne that are stuck there right now, as they are unable to progress downstream.....

It has been windy, you cannot see a real good fly hatch on the water, but when the winds are calm you will see that hatch and you will see the rainbows jumping. I saw one bow jump today only about 6-8 pounds, but they are there...

People always call me crazy when i talk about fish, but I wouldnt open my mouth unless i thought I knew what I was talking about, and yes there are still migratory trout in milne pond that are trying to find their way back down to lake ontario...

i went to frenchmans bay at 7:30 this morning and met a friend to take his boat out,
we fished from 40 fow water, and didnt mark anything until we found 230 fow...

marked tonnes of fish between 230 nd 260 foot of water.

got two bows and one chinook salmon while trolling out there..

With the winds that kind of fishing is not for the faint of heart...

it was cold i had to wear two sweaters and my winter jacket just to survive....

those Bows are in milne, you may not easily catch them from shore when to water level is high, but if the water level drops much further milne will turn into a river and it's Game on Wink .....

06-08-2013, 01:46 PM
John, If steelhead are what you are looking for Ide suggest waiting until Setember and hit up the runs in the great lake tributaries I went for some steelies early May with some luck and then by the end of the month whatever steelies were left were extremely line shy. However there are definitely some trout locations a bit further north that I know of, a bit out of the Markham area but still within an hours drive ide say.
Try catching some resident browns up in the northern reaches of the credit river, The forks of the credit pp is beautiful and produces some real nice fish, keep in mind of the 0-possession limit and no organic baits/barbs allowed in that area. Just south of there around georgetown you can find numerous access points to creeks and streams leading to the credit which are spring fed and cold and hold nice sized (6-12inch) brookies. As far as rainbows are concerned I remember catching some at rockwood conservation area as well as heart lake conservation area some years back, these are stocked fish and I dont remember the fishing to be too good but heard the some nice bows have been taken out of rockwood this season; definately something ide like to investigate further these days if I have the chance. Although these are all a bit out and away from Markham I generally feel that resident trout fishing is best a bit out of the urban landscape both for the quality of the fish (not just talking about size here) as well as for the break away from the urban jungle.

Best of luck =)
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
How can you access the ponds at Woodbine and 16th? I went yesterday with my sons and its all fenced off.
06-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Some parts of the fencing is low, about 3 feet, so it's easy to jump over.
06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
At 16th ave, you can enter where the rouge river flows under...

follow the river up...

06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
(06-19-2013 08:32 AM)angler1 Wrote:  Some parts of the fencing is low, about 3 feet, so it's easy to jump over.

The petro-Canada side is even double-fenced now.Undecided
06-19-2013, 07:18 PM
(06-19-2013 05:39 PM)tangpierre Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 08:32 AM)angler1 Wrote:  Some parts of the fencing is low, about 3 feet, so it's easy to jump over.

I parked where the road is blocked by construction cones, near the funeral home, then walked to the end of the road, about 200m. That is where you'll find the low part of the fence - unless they fixed it since I went fishing there.
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
(06-19-2013 07:18 PM)angler1 Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 05:39 PM)tangpierre Wrote:  

I parked where the road is blocked by construction cones, near the funeral home, then walked to the end of the road, about 200m. That is where you'll find the low part of the fence - unless they fixed it since I went fishing there.

No, they didn't fix it but have outer layer of fence set up instead.
06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I Made a Point to drive by the Area today.

As I mentioned in a past post.

If I go into that area.

I walk along 16th avenue, to the bridge where the rouge river flows under 16th avenue.
If you access it at the right point you will not need to climb any fences.

You can access the river that way and walk north, there are two ponds within a few hundred meters of 16th.

Fishing the river you may find resident trout or brook trout.
They will be spooked very easy, tread lightly.

~Jeremy.