You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bringing out the big fish?
09-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Bringing out the big fish?
Hi, I constantly fish local stormwater ponds (like on a daily basis) and am always amazed at what these ponds produce. One thing that I've always wondered is why the big fish dont bite. In 2009 I used to be able to consistently catch 1 LB Largies but ever since these ponds have gotten attention from people who fish for keeps, you're lucky to catch a few baby Bass and Pumpkinseed's. I know that the fish are in there because I can see them occasionally jumping out but not to be caught. I've also found a 3 LB Bass carcass that had been torn up so the big fish are obviosly there. The ponds around my house contain Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Koi, Carp, Bullhead Catfish, and many other common species. The Carp I have no problem with because those are the only fish that can be caught big but I do have trouble bringing out the big fish. I have tried for an entire week trying to catch a Koi at one of the ponds and have failed every time, but have had fisherman right beside me pull out 2 LB'rs but I've had no luck (Michael you know which pond this is).

I'm just hoping for some tips to pull out good sized fish in these ponds. I've tried everything from Corn to Pike lures but NOTHING.

Hopefully someone can help,
Thanks,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
RE: Bringing out the big fish?
If I promise I will catch and release in these ponds, will you tell me where are these ponds and where I can find panfishes?
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2012, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 11:11 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(09-27-2012 10:45 PM)onwind Wrote:  If I promise I will catch and release in these ponds, will you tell me where are these ponds and where I can find panfishes?

Honestly it isn't a big deal. All fisherman should 1) Use Google Maps to find water, and 2) go fish that water. If you follow this pattern you will find fish. Fishing is a journey, that may be my favorite thing about it... the adventure... the risks of being skunked. Using that 1 - 2 step process I've discovered some spectacular spots that will stay with me and my closest friends! I hope you will to Smile. All of us eventually do.

You tell one guy your specific spot, they tell 5 other people and those people tell 5 other people each. So now 27 people want to fish where only 1 guy wanted to fish. Maybe that other guy doesn't tell 5 people, but other people see him fishing there. That's more exposure.... any angler who sees him fishing there will try it out too.

Sharing is caring... but I guess in the fishing world it can go wrong... very wrong.

You should participate in Giuga10's pond project Big Grin http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...nd-Project

Guiga10, I've wondered this before and a lot of people have told me:

The big fish are the hardest to catch. Small fish are like hungry teenagers and will feed all day and feed on anything. Big fish are more temperamental, pickier, and thus harder to catch. There are also less of them.

So, I guess it takes a lot more know-how to catch the big fish. I haven't figured it out yet... and haven't bothered to yet because I've been focused on just catching ANYthing lol Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes, I totally agree with you.
I am a new immigrant to Canada and I just came here three months ago. there are a lot difficulties for me to advanture finding fishes by google map. firstly I am not familiar with the road and the signs. I am afraid to break regulations or offense the owners. secondly I don't always have a car to navigate around the city. all what I want is to find a place not far away from my home and I can fish there when I have free time. now I am looking for one sport as my base.
I have visited some places according to MNR's urban fishing opportunities in toronto, but I cannot find the fishes said in that guide. so I am wondering perhaps I can borrow some experience from all of you. if you don't want to tell me where you fish, Can you tell me whether it is good place for fishing when I found a possible spot in google map if you happened to visit there before?

(09-27-2012 10:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Honestly it isn't a big deal. All fisherman should 1) Use Google Maps to find water, and 2) go fish that water. If you follow this pattern you will find fish. Fishing is a journey, that may be my favorite thing about it... the adventure... the risks of being skunked.

You tell one guy your specific spot, they tell 5 other people and those people tell 5 other people each. So now 27 people want to fish where only 1 guy wanted to fish. Maybe that other guy doesn't tell 5 people, but other people see him fishing there. That's more exposure.... any angler who sees him fishing there will try it out too.

Sharing is caring... but I guess in the fishing world it can go wrong... very wrong.

Guiga10, I've wondered this before and a lot of people have told me:

The big fish are the hardest to catch. Small fish are like hungry teenagers and will feed all day and feed on anything. Big fish are more temperamental, pickier, and thus harder to catch. There are also less of them.

So, I guess it takes a lot more know-how to catch the big fish. I haven't figured it out yet... and haven't bothered to yet because I've been focused on just catching ANYthing lol Tongue
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2012, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 11:19 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-27-2012 10:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  You tell one guy your specific spot, they tell 5 other people and those people tell 5 other people each. So now 27 people want to fish where only 1 guy wanted to fish. Maybe that other guy doesn't tell 5 people, but other people see him fishing there. That's more exposure.... any angler who sees him fishing there will try it out too.

Very good grasshopper. Now you're learning the art of "Ninja Fishing" Wink See, I don't just say things sometimes...years of experience and observing other people and their behaviour...most people say they can keep a secret but really they just want to brag or "share" all these spots to catch fish with their friends...and spilling all your secrets...and thus attracting too many people to sometimes a very small spot that can't tolerate that level of fishing pressure. That's why I've always said be helpful, share techniques but don't share spots with people you haven't learn to trust.

Stay under the radar and you'll have your pristine spot for a long time...tell no one, show no one...except me of course Tongue Big Grin I have your spots that I can hold you ransom...and you have my spots that you can hold me ransom...we're good on both sides. Tongue Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
(09-27-2012 11:13 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(09-27-2012 10:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  You tell one guy your specific spot, they tell 5 other people and those people tell 5 other people each. So now 27 people want to fish where only 1 guy wanted to fish. Maybe that other guy doesn't tell 5 people, but other people see him fishing there. That's more exposure.... any angler who sees him fishing there will try it out too.

Very good grasshopper. Now you're learning the art of "Ninja Fishing" Wink Stay under the radar and you'll have your pristine spot for a long time...tell no one, show no one...except me of course Tongue Big Grin

Hahahah Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
(09-27-2012 11:13 PM)onwind Wrote:  I have visited some places according to MNR's urban fishing opportunities in toronto, but I cannot find the fishes said in that guide.

From my experience, that guide is LIES Tongue lol. If a place you want to fish is listed there, avoid it! That's just what I've found, maybe someone's actually had success with that guide.

There has to be water near your house. Any small pond or stream will have some kind of fish - river chubs at least. Unlikely places can be surprising... that's why the MNR urban fishing opportunities guide mislead me for a few months.