You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

baitrunner reel for under $20
04-04-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 06:08 PM by fishfight.)
baitrunner reel for under $20
I just ordered this baitrunner reel for under $20, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale...31073.html

Another model is around $16 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Superior-...71956.html

These companies do not yet have positive feedback so they are selling for $10 less than others, I took a plunge since ALiexpress- guarantee them , money does not get release unless we confirm we have received the item. Ali has been good in customer service, keepingup with ebay. EBay has been getting bad reputation, Ebay protects sellers more than buyers, and buyers cannot give negative feedback to sellers any more, Ebay + paypal charges up to 20% in commission these days. I sold a product and was shock to have to pay almost 20%. Many vendors have left EBay and joined AMazon and Aliexpress or DHgate.com

Most famous brand baitrunner reel are going for more than $150.

New arrival of Dollarama crankbait lures have already gone up to $2, and quality are not as good as those I bought from Aliexpress for $1. Some for $1 are from their old stock without the $2 sign. Only the larger 5-6" crankbaits are still decent, the rest are way too light and hard to cast for distance.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: baitrunner reel for under $20
Cool, let us know how it worked out.

I bought the Okuma ABF-40 Baitrunner from LeBaron for $55 this winter with some Christmas money. I also picked up an old tidewater baitrunnner (full spooled with 50lb braid) for $40 last month off of kijiji.
04-05-2014, 03:29 PM
You get what you pay for when it comes to reels (within reason), especially baitrunners.
04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Going cheap for baitrunners is fine IME, I think it's even better, that way if a fish takes your rod & reel (which is definitely going to happen) it won't cost an arm and a leg. I have the Penn baitrunner and almost lost it about half a dozen times last year due to what I think are issues with my particular reel (baitrunner locks up from time to time). Also could be user error (test the baitrunner again and again while setting your line). Only time I've ever ran into a duck poo filled pond is to save my rod & reel from measly 15lb carps LOL and it's happened more than once. I've also seen many people lose rods & reels at the whirlpool as those carps fight the hardest!
04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Hey - I think we all have a few reels that are worth less than $10 .......................................... now.............smile

But more seriously........... I'd also like to hear how this works out.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2014, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 12:55 PM by Eli.)
(04-06-2014 10:35 AM)mcfly Wrote:  Going cheap for baitrunners is fine IME, I think it's even better, that way if a fish takes your rod & reel (which is definitely going to happen) it won't cost an arm and a leg. I have the Penn baitrunner and almost lost it about half a dozen times last year due to what I think are issues with my particular reel (baitrunner locks up from time to time).

You pretty much proved my point in your second sentence.
Cheapass baitrunners put together in some sweatshop are not going to last and will probably fail when you most need them.

Had my shimano 4500 for going on 10 years and it's yet to fail me in any way...and I use and abuse it on St. Lawrence carp.

$70 gets you a perfectly reasonable Daiwa with baitrunner feature that will last. $20 gets you Chinese trash.

BTW, the main reason I'm a little (just a little) bothered by this is because it's a situation that is likely to result in a fish swimming around with a rod attached until it dies, not because I care how someone happens to spend their money.
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 07:30 PM by fishfight.)
Same reel is being sold for around $40 at ALiexpress.com I just shop around and took a chance on this new seller trying to establish a rating. Ali guarantees the goods refunded faster than Ebay.

Do you guys know how many chinese sell their stuff to recover funds , including stuff sold to Dollarama or walmart? IT IS called MONEY LAUNDERING ! Item can be sold below cost as long as money paid get deposited in USA or other countries bank system. In China, regardless how rich a person is or how much a person makes, government only allows a maximum of $50,000 per year can be wired out of the country. So if one successful businessman made US$100,000 a year, the money is still useless since China banking system and government can still control or tax that amount, unless the person can sent the money out and ship it elsewhere. One other way is to sell product cheap or be partners with other sellers in other countries. item sold can then be deposited offshore.

Goods sold inexpensively does not necessary mean cheaply made today. Vice versa! Many Apple products sold at a high price of $500 does not mean it was a top notch product either. The technology depreciate so fast and become useless in a few years. What happen to the first Iphones? Was there not weak battery issues? Where is Apples and Nike, or Shimano MADE? In China! I would always hold off to owning the latest technology gadget just to keep up with the latest trends. I do not have a data plan on my phone , nor get involved with facebook, too much personal information gets revealed to the public. I just saw this documentary yesterday on CBC, sad to know the price for some attention yearned by today's generation of vulnerable kids. http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2013-20...manda-todd

Some people might want to buy a $50,000 Mercedes benz , while others would rather own 3 Ford focus, rotating them every so often. Which type is considered a better investment and for longevity? For image or for gas mileage purposes?

Did you guys know that RMB (chinese money) has more buying power today compared to CA$ or US$ buying power? North American currency have depreciated so much within the last 10 years compared to what it could buy years ago? What it translate for each Chinese citizen today who saved or even place their money under the mattress without having to earn any interest in a bank? Their money have grown the strongest, more buying power, resulting in improving on their standard of living, and demand for better products, they have more disposable income compared to other countries' citizen, many are buying better quality stuff and owning more US, CA and other international properties.

Did you know the latest Chinese Military fighter Jet was faster or comparable to US newest fighter jets? Did you know that some parts of US military weaponry were compose of Chinese made parts and technology? Sad to say but true!

Which race felt they are more superior based on their productivity, demands for their products, growing personal disposable income, and job growth? The Chinese! Luckily, the Chinese conceded in the Hockey sport, they are laughing that we are so distracted with the illusion of our Maple Leaf Hockey team could still win someday, so even if our city is wasting so much money and paid close to a Billion dollars for a losing team. How about our Mayor ROB FORD representing TO city standard for the world to see? I do not need to say more. While the Americans citizen are losing trillions of dollars in military spending, making their citizen believe an illusion, they are still the super power of the world. With all the distraction we have happily received from our government, the Chinese just quietly innovate, improve on standard, and sell inexpensively one reel or one lure at a time to North Americans growing demands for their so called ............CHEAP CHINESE TRASH!
04-07-2014, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 11:13 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Mcfly's got a bling baitrunner and he's almost had it pulled in. What happened when it started getting pulled in?

The only thing I can think of is if a birdsnest forms on the spool and catches on the guides.

[Image: logobgs.png]
04-08-2014, 12:32 AM
That's all well and good, fishfight...and yes, it is sad to see a growing demand for cheap Chinese trash. Those of us who enjoy such things as human rights, biodiversity, labour code, personal space, patent laws, and the ability to see the fucking sky -- definitely think it's sad.

Rob Ford got nothing on Bo XilaiWink

Here's one for perspective: http://deathbychina.com/

My Shimanos are stamped Japan. My Daiwas are stamped Taiwan (and no, Taiwan is not a Chinese province). Basic maintenance and they are yet to fail me. I'm the last guy to give brand loyalty to any one manufacturer but as much as possible I avoid Chinese-made products.
04-08-2014, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 11:01 AM by MuskieBait.)
Wow...I just had to reply...

fishfight...GO CHINESE GO! Dodgy

Before you start mouthing off everything and putting Chinese manufacturing and government on the pedestal...

1) Chinese online sellers do not innovate...they STEAL original designs from other reputable companies like Shimano and Daiwa and produce cheap replicas of junk with poor material and workmanship. Support these crooks and you sell your integrity for a cheap discount.

2) Yes, Chinese online sellers use the internet to launder money. Yes, let's support dirty money and more of it...because it will make a better world and benefit the honest Chinese workers who earn next to nothing while these crooks take advantage of everyone that works for them or with them.

3) Yes, China has buying power and Chinese are taking over international properties and assets. So were the Japanese post war. Read a little about what happened to the Japanese when they spend most of their hard earned money to own Manhattan and the US...and see how that affected the failure of their economy and banking system. History lessons should be learned.

4) As someone working in the medical research field, and coworker with many Chinese-Canadians who used to hold prestigious positions in China including radiation oncologists, cardiologists, professors...etc, none of them are willing to conduct research in China...in a field where integrity is demanded and expected. Time and time again examples were shown where published results from China were fabricated and false results were reported. So much for improvement in quality in a field where human lives are at stake. If these professional cannot uphold integrity, forget the crooks such as businessmen.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid...

I'm not saying Chinese is not gaining economic and political positions in the world...but to say that supporting these online business is helping innovations and improvement in standard...it is laughable. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

And yes, I AM CHINESE and I do have family in Hong Kong and China and I do watch the CHINESE GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED news. The things that goes on in China scares me...and that's why I have very little interest in returning to and working in China unless for reputable international companies as a rep in China.

Did you know...the Boston Red Sox took 88 years to win another championship? Did you know that the Vancouver Canucks has NEVER won the Stanley Cup in their 44 year history since they joined the NHL? Did you know other Canadian teams such as Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and Ottawa Senators are also teams who had NEVER won a Stanley Cup in their teams' history since joining the NHL? As a feverish Leaf fan, and as a person who has character, I know the team is terrible now and in the past so many years, but a home team is a home team and you support it regardless. You stand by the team when it is suffering, and you celebrate wholeheartedly when they are successful. That is what is called a true fan. It is not a disillusion. It is call loyalty. Think of it as supporting your child. The child can be a terrible hockey player...but you do not ever disown that child because he/she cannot play hockey. You support, nurture and encourage. You don't jump on the bandwagon to support another child just because your child is terrible. At the same time, you should not accept mediocracy. True Leaf fans do not support mediocracy. At the same time, true Leaf fans cannot outweight the corporates that buys up season tickets in advance. True Leaf fans want change but we have so little voting power in terms of the effects on the economics of the team. You simply do not know the complex issues behind the Leafs. It's okay...one day, there is a seat on the bandwagon for you too, but for today, don't fall off that bandwagon too fast...the ground is pretty hard.

BTW, I'd like to see your $20 baitrunner take on this guy. My Shimano Baitrunner 4500 was worth every little bit I spend on it...and it doesn't even need any kind of overhaul after the catch. It worked just the same before and after the shark...and all I had to do was to rinse out the reel with freshwater.

[Image: Elasmobranchii_Orectolobiformes_+Ginglym...8_post.jpg]

Michael can tell you all about his experience with cheap Chinese braid.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html