You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 09:42 AM by zippyFX.)
Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo
http://www.daiwa.com/travelkit/pop_ms.aspx

Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo in Hard Carry Case. You should be able to get it for approximately $30 - $40 in Ontario if you price shop (I got mine for $32 at Le Baron)

I got this for Christmas and like a kid in a candy store I have been chomping at the bit to giver 'er a go. This is a small set up at just 4 1/2 ft and comes in a small carrying case that keeps things self contained. It's small and is easily kept under the car seat.

The rod breaks down into 5 sections and is easily assembled by sliding the pole lengths together. There is a standard reel seat for the small reel that comes with it with suitable for 2-6 lbs mono (I spooled with flouro).

The kit comes with some space for terminal tackle and accessories (geared for light or UL)... For example, I have 4 small lures, some jigs, split shot, maraboos, spinners, small float, small scissors, snaps, etc... that all fit nicely. About the only it's not good for is worms Wink

Positives:
- It's easy to assemble and use
- It's very sturdy; To date I've caught fish up to one pound on it and handled them easily and confidently.
- It fits well under my seat.
- The reel holds ample line for most Light and UL needs.

Negatives:
- Once you figure out how to get the rod into the case it's relativity straightforward to do again and and again.
- The reel always seems to be a struggle to fit in just right. Maybe the should increased the size of the size of the case or decreased the size of the reel a smidge.
- the plastic case has good layout but is little more fragile than I would like. One of the snaps for the lids is already broken and one of the internal compartments has a crack
- The case is a single piece of molded plastic that includes flexible plastic hinges. This can prevent it from lying perfectly flat. I think they would have done better if they had a real metal or plastic hinge screwed in here.

All in all I am pleased with it. I often get breaks in my day and pass a couple of fishing spots to and from work, so it's nice to just be able to pop out and cast a line for 30 minutes and head on my way if the mood suits me.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
KrazyCanuk (04-11-2014)
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo
I had the first version of these - about 20+ years ago...........

Like you I had it in my vehicle all the time, complete with a few lures etc - for use when I was commuting to jobsites all across Ontario............. true it's not a top of the line model - but it worked just fine and was fun.

It was stolen out of my vehicle at TO airport a while back........ otherwise I'd still be using it................

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
That's pretty neat. I think I might pick one up next time I'm at LeBaron.
04-23-2013, 06:48 PM
(04-23-2013 05:02 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  That's pretty neat. I think I might pick one up next time I'm at LeBaron.

Do you drive?

Huh

Big Grin
04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
(04-23-2013 06:48 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 05:02 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  That's pretty neat. I think I might pick one up next time I'm at LeBaron.

Do you drive?

Huh

Big Grin

Lol not yet. But come June I'll be on the road Tongue.
01-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Used this quiet a bit this year and it proved to be generally very good. My brother inlaw who is a bass guy and is only uses 6ft medium poles snickered initially but was impressed by the fact that the rodd would load up and cast light weights quite a distance (for it's length). He lost what would have been his first walleye on this because we was a bit timid with the rodd. He was afraid to set the hook to hard and tried to play the fish to lightly.

I also threw it in the luggage for a couple of trips we used. Really good for fishing off the docks and trout ponds and targetting fish in confined spaces.

My one concern was that the reel kept getting bird nests. I was wondering if it was the line so I respooled it with fresh fluro (have been using 4 and 6lb) but that did not help. I tried scaling up the weights I used and that helped marginally. The only thing I could think off was that the reel lip maybe letting the line come off to quickly. Any ideas?

I may have found another reel that fits in the case so I will give that a try.
01-10-2014, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 07:32 AM by OldTimer.)
With super mini reels - you want the limpest softest line to allow it to wind onto the small diameter with minimum spring.

But I would mention that multiple coil release when using ultralight lures is not uncommon as the small lures do not put sufficient tension on the line to wrap it solidly - both when in the water and when in the air.

OT

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
zippyFX (01-26-2014)
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback....

Actually multiple coil release is exactly what was happening.

I was using fluro so I picked up some supple mono and will be giving that shot as soon as we get soft water.
04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
The mono did the trick! I spent an hour back on soft water today casting a 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs (with a bobber) without any additional weight and I did not get any multiple coil releases or birdnests.

Thanks OT!

I didn't catch anything but I think that's a totally separate problem Smile
04-11-2014, 06:00 AM
(04-10-2014 08:37 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  I didn't catch anything but I think that's a totally separate problem Smile

Yes, I've been having difficulty getting the winter doldrums staleness off me too............. that'll soon change for both of us.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.