You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

perch and trout fishing
04-20-2016, 12:42 PM
perch and trout fishing
Good day everyone I usually fish in port dover and port Bruce I recently relocated in Brampton I was going to check lake Ontario bear bishop airport for fun but I was told Orangeville has a great pond for perch and trout? Is this correct also is it a private pond? I see only conservation area is that it? Minnows around where can I get some? Am looking for a large white minnow net can someone help me thank you all am yes am a lady who loves fishing too
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2016, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2016 12:54 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: perch and trout fishing
I think you are referring to Heart Lake Conservation Area, but it is in Brampton, not Orangeville. Trout used to be stocked into Heart Lake...not sure now.

There are two other areas you may be thinking about operated by Credit Valley Conservation. One is Ken Whillans right next to Hwy 10, the other is Terra Cotta in the town of Terra Cotta.

There is no trout in Island Lake Conservation Area. The Northern Pike in that lake simply will not allow any trout to live in that lake for too long.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Thank you I will check it out am mostly after perch
04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
If you are after perch, then Island Lake in Orangeville does have perch. Mostly small (less than 10") in my experience. All the other places I mentioned has perch as well. Heart Lake is probably the best out of all of them.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Pep2020 (04-14-2017)
04-27-2016, 08:50 AM
To try to clear up some confusion: the fishing spot in Orangeville is the reservoir in Island Lake Conservation Area as MuskieBait says. It does have perch, but is better known for other species, especially pike. I once saw a perch there check out my bait while ice fishing, it was a small one and that was my only contact with perch there. I've caught pumpkinseed there that were of decent pan size, and I know people catch crappie also but I don't know what sort of sizes they are. There are also largemouth bass in the lake which the CA encourages voluntary live release of.

But there are no trout in Island Lake, unless one occasionally wanders in from the surrounding streams. Not sure where you heard that.

It's possible you're getting confused with Ken Whillans Resource Management Area, a conservation area off Highway 10 just south of Caledon Village. It has a pond stocked with rainbow trout, and there are also perch there. That's the closest trout pond I know of to the south from Orangeville.
05-04-2016, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 08:47 AM by tweedwolfscream.)
OK, one more thought. It's possible you were thinking of Monora Park, a Town of Mono municipal park on the northern edge of Orangeville. It has a pond with lots of perch and a few brook trout, according to this video on youtube.

It might be helpful if you told us where or how you heard about this pond... I'm not sure how you would have heard about what species are in this pond but not whether or not it's privately owned.

Oh and by the way they sell minnows at Island Lake Conservation Area. If you're fishing there, the only live minnows you're allowed to use are the ones they sell on-site. If you're not fishing there, I suppose you'd want to buy them somewhere else, wouldn't want to have to pay the conservation area entry fee just to buy minnows.
06-23-2016, 02:56 PM
(04-20-2016 01:00 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If you are after perch, then Island Lake in Orangeville does have perch. Mostly small (less than 10") in my experience. All the other places I mentioned has perch as well. Heart Lake is probably the best out of all of them.

Can confirm that perch are tiny as heck! Didn't catch any longer than 4 inches aha.