You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Loosing heavy lures to bird's nests
11-25-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Loosing heavy lures to bird's nests
Until you get proficient at casting, you should always set the cast control knob where the bait drops on free spool and stops spinning when it hits the ground with no overrun. The break system should be on the higher side. This cuts down on distance but you won't get birdsnest unless you screw up the cast that is cast into the ground. Try side casting to reduce this. When you can make slight adjustments to loosen the brake system and then the cast control to where you will need to feather the spool. If you never feather the spool, you are likely not in the balance zone were it is just loose enough to cast far and tight enough to reduce birds nests. I personally think you have to have the spool overrun to get distance but feather it to reduce the birdsnest. Feathering will control distance on over casts also so to me you should always be feathering. Trial and error will help out and so will practice. You will find out what is most comfortable to you. I use bait casters for musky or chucking heavy baits or trolling. I love the drag and cranking power of baitcasters.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Loosing heavy lures to bird's nests - gr8tfish - 11-25-2014 11:09 PM