You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fish consumption guide
02-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Fish consumption guide
As of I think this past friday, there's an updated version of the MOE's (sorry, MOECC's) fish consumption guide. Not sure how much new there is by way of locations or species tested. The major difference in this reboot is that while the recommended meals per month previously maxed out at 8, it now goes higher in some cases, I think up to a maximum of 32.

The URL seems to be different now. The interactive map version is at http://www.ontario.ca/environment-an...g-ontario-fish and the shortcut is http://www.ontario.ca/fishguide
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tweedwolfscream for this post:
OldTimer (02-10-2015)
02-10-2015, 11:36 AM
RE: Fish consumption guide
Thanks for this post - I was wondering when this guide would be updated.

In the short time I spent looking about re waters I fish - I noticed that recommended number of meals had increased, some quite substantially to the 32 meals per month you mention.

Perhaps this is good news - in that the quality of some waters is improving.

I also noted that goldfish are listed in a few locations............ I don't believe they were before.

.... and some waters don't list species previously covered. (ie mooneye)

Lastly I noted that the maximum size of fish listed in certain locations is not as great as it once was.......... which could be a function of a smaller population ........... or (hopefully) just a case of no whoppers getting netted during the most recent surveys.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Most of those things I can't explain... but I think the raising of the maximum from 8 to 32 was a deliberate decision meant to accommodate people who eat sport-caught fish every day or close to it. The 8 meal/month maximum was based on the medical idea that one should eat fish twice a week, but since the medical community probably meant that as a minimum rather than a maximum, it makes more sense to indicate which fishes can be eaten more often than that. Of course, there may be some cases in which recommended consumption has gone up due to quality improvements.

I don't have a hard copy of the previous version so I can't do a case by case comparison but I *think* I spotted one case where the size range for a fish has actually increased upwards.
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I also noted that there is now only one listing for the Quillback Carpsucker, and that the sizes reported is a more narrow band than previous (from editions 2012<)... lower and higher lengths now missing.

I've never caught one of these - though have seen others do it............... below Dunville, and the river mouth to Erie.

Tough to target.

But I'll keep hoping...........

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-14-2015, 07:11 PM
OT, probably because not enough samples were collected. The guide mentioned that data requires at least 10 individuals from the species.

I know people have caught them at Dunnville while fishing for carp or catfish. More of an incidental catch.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html