You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2 Asian carp found in ponds near Toronto waterfront
07-30-2015, 09:34 PM
RE: 2 Asian carp found in ponds near Toronto waterfront
(07-29-2015 11:44 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Well, they could be where Dave saw them...and then the two could be trapped in the ponds.

I worry about them much less than Silver and Bighead Carp though. Grass Carp doesn't do as much damage and they are not even as terrible as Common Carp in my mind.

Exactly. I'd welcome grass carp with open arms. They're harmless.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2015, 11:49 PM
In fact, thinking more about their presence here...

Isn't a net expansion of weed growth one of the main factors that's preventing successful spawning of lake trout on many bodies of water? The weeds are growing progressively thicker and progressively deeper, chocking out the areas required by the trout to spawn. Maybe a few grassers swimming around (and not being able to reproduce) in some of the 'trout' lakes wouldn't be such a bad thing, as they'd eat the weeds thereby opening up spawning beds.
09-03-2015, 07:14 PM
More Asian Carp caught...

Asian Carp at Toronto Islands
09-03-2015, 07:50 PM
So what of the odds that if grass carp are here that they had not been caught by some carp fisherman?
09-04-2015, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 07:36 AM by OldTimer.)
Perhaps some have been caught by anglers not familiar with their identification, or just not reported.

In any case - these fish are all of size and age.

I also find the ongoing more widespread efforts to capture same (over a month now) a clear indication of an unspoken sad reality.

Best we start figuring out some recipes.............

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2015, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 02:58 PM by OldTimer.)
On thinking more about this - I find it quite probable that someone must have caught one of these....... and it went unreported

Here's a few good links on how to ID them, and some info on why they are unwanted here. Worth looking!

http://www.asiancarp.ca/SitePages/Report...IDKey.aspx

http://www.asiancarp.ca/SitePages/AsianC...navcontent

OT

See you on the river.
09-10-2015, 01:36 AM
(07-30-2015 11:49 PM)Eli Wrote:  In fact, thinking more about their presence here...

Isn't a net expansion of weed growth one of the main factors that's preventing successful spawning of lake trout on many bodies of water? The weeds are growing progressively thicker and progressively deeper, chocking out the areas required by the trout to spawn. Maybe a few grassers swimming around (and not being able to reproduce) in some of the 'trout' lakes wouldn't be such a bad thing, as they'd eat the weeds thereby opening up spawning beds.

With our urban Toronto waters so choked with algae in the summer (due to poorer water quality), a few Grassies around to eat the floating algae clumps and the algae on vegetation is also a good thing.

An introduced species can only proliferate if the conditions are right. Toronto waters are perfect for Grassies...and our urbanization of the Toronto shorelines facilitated that.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-10-2015, 06:12 AM
(09-10-2015 01:36 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(07-30-2015 11:49 PM)Eli Wrote:  In fact, thinking more about their presence here...

With our urban Toronto waters so choked with algae in the summer (due to poorer water quality), a few Grassies around to eat the floating algae clumps and the algae on vegetation is also a good thing.

An introduced species can only proliferate if the conditions are right. Toronto waters are perfect for Grassies...and our urbanization of the Toronto shorelines facilitated that.

Perhaps not:

They promote algae growth.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
(09-10-2015 06:12 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 01:36 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  

Perhaps not:

They promote algae growth.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Depends on the density of the Grass Carp population. There are many lakes with proper density of Grass Carp used to control overgrown vegetation that remains super clear with no algae bloom. Don't believe some of the things written about invasive species. They are written based on extreme cases...just like the initial fear that snakeheads can walk on land and remain out of the water for days...and they will eat anything in sight...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Time will tell.

See you on the river.