You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Advice on catching summer muskie?
06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Advice on catching summer muskie?
I'm interested in targeting the elusive summer muskie at friends' cottages in Muskoka and Halliburton. Will be fishing from kayak or canoe, possibly a tinny.

I've been reading up and watching videos on summertime muskie fishing, but I'd love to hear any advice I can get!

I am under the impression that big muskie will not bother will small bait. Is this correct reasoning? Now, how big is big enough?

I really don't want to go out and buy a new set of lures if I already have stuff in my arsenal that will work.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
RE: Advice on catching summer muskie?
I've hooked into muskie on many different things - from small cranks while bass fishing - to wow size lures over a foot long when fast trolling specifically for the beasties.

But you will catch more if the lure size meets the muskie's size to expended energy criteria.

What are your largest/longest lures - .............attach a pic?.

Do you have a strong medium-heavy or heavy rod and a beefy reel & matching line?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 09:53 PM by MuskieBait.)
My buddy first time fishing for muskies...we were looking from a high bridge at the river when he saw this muskie...he grabbed my rod and tossed a bass size spinnerbait at it. It was a 37" muskie...

[Image: Haliburton_Muskies_16_07_2006001.jpg]

Later in the day, we were fishing a very shallow bay with pencil reeds and my buddy was tossing a bass size spinnerbait again. You can see the spinnerbait on this 41" muskie...

[Image: Haliburton_Muskies_16_07_2006014.jpg]

I could have pushed him off the boat had I not need him to work the trolling motor while I cast for my first muskie. Rolleyes

BTW, don't sweat it too much...just cast a good enough size lure (bass size) and work the weed edges, drop offs, and weed flats...and you'll find one sooner or later. We'll try hard to make the muskie trip I talked about in the fall. There is a really good population of muskies so you have a good chance at catching them.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
I dont mean to highjack the thread, but are there any areas in the GTA where Muskies can be caught?

Good luck to u MA!
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 09:59 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(06-28-2012 10:56 PM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  I dont mean to highjack the thread, but are there any areas in the GTA where Muskies can be caught?

Good luck to u MA!

hahah, it's not a hijack at all! If I can catch them in the GTA... well that's a leg up for me Tongue

My largest lures are a good 5" red/white spoon (1/2 to 1 oz I can't remember exactly... big enough it doesn't cast well on my Medium rod) and the Mepps Aglia Long number 5 with a single Siwash hook. No dressed hook.

If I put a white grub on the Aglia then I can beef up the presentation a bit.

I take it summer muskie are after... big and loud? Maybe if I pick up a big (white? ) buzzbait I can work it over weedbeds in bays.... but summer muskie should be holding deep, correct?

[Image: Haliburton_Muskies_16_07_2006014.jpg]

Nice fish! What's the T-shirt say? It looks promising.

06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Muskie may hold in deeper water, but will feed where their food source is more plentiful.

The spoon and large Mepps are suitable. It may be wise to research what lures and colours are popular on the specific lake you intend to fish.

Wire leaders or heavy mono shock leaders will minimize cut-offs. I use wire for trolling, and heavy saltwater mono leaders for casting - but wire would do.

Trolling is usually best along the outside edge of main lake weed lines located on the 15 to 20 foot contour range. Trolling velocity should be higher than that used for walleye or trout. Bottom bumping is really NOT necessary. If the Muskie gets interested it WILL catch your lure.

Casting can be good on shallower areas with good structure or along weed bed edges or pockets that are close to deep water. Again a faster retrieve will draw more attention. Top water baits should be fished quite aggressively (finesse is not necessary – I was asked by a friend once “Are you trying to snap that lure off the end of your line?).

There is little confusion if you’ve had a strike in this game.

Keep hooks sharp & set the hook HARD!

Horsing large Muskie is not recommended. A good smooth drag will aid success. If your drag chatters at higher settings – it’s better to back it off a tad and then palm/thumb the spool a bit.

Muskie are like large pike - in that they are boat/net shy. Seldom will you net one on it's first visit to boatside - be prepared for a sudden run or dive.

One last recommendation – if you do land a large one – these fish in spite of their ferociousness - can’t stand a lot of handling, or long periods out of water………… land it, unhook it fast, take your photos quickly, and then release it as soon as possible - after making sure it’s okay (or pump it to and fro a bit to get it awake and going strong).

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
06-29-2012, 11:58 PM
This is great advice, thanks! What's the minimum recomended line strength? I'm planning on using 6" wire leaders, maybe I should pick up some 12" ones?

Also, I will be visiting Bass Pro Shops tomorrow, any lure and tackle recommendations?

06-30-2012, 07:43 AM
When targeting Muskie I don't use anything below 17 pound and go as high as 30 pound. I use mono, but I suppose that you could go higher with the newer "super" lines or braid.

Wire leader length should at least exceed the max length of your lure including the hooks when stretched out.

Being old school - my favourites include:
Large Rebel or Rapala minnow baits
Rapala X-Rap Jointed Shad
Mepps Muskie Killer (black bucktail)
Lucky Strike Wooden Plugs
Rapala Countdown Magnum (size 14, 5.5” body)

and

Top water: Muskie Jitterbug, large Sputterbug (if you can find one), Rebel Magnum Pop R.

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (06-30-2012)