You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cheap/Knock-off lures
03-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Cheap/Knock-off lures
Given that, on Sunday, my friend's Walmart suspending crank outperformed all of my name-brand tackle I'd like to hear what you guys think of cheap/knock-off lures.

I was surfing facebook today and found this online lure shop with free shipping http://wlure.com/specials.php.

Have you guys ever tried the cheap made-in-china stuff?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2012, 08:22 AM
RE: Cheap/Knock-off lures
As a general rule, the cheap knock off lures tend to have crap hooks and split rings. If you buy cheap crankbaits with lips, you are probably looking at bending the lip to get the lure running straight and the cheap ones don't usually come with a guide as to how deep or shallow they run..

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
(03-06-2012 02:08 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Given that, on Sunday, my friend's Walmart suspending crank outperformed all of my name-brand tackle I'd like to hear what you guys think of cheap/knock-off lures.

I was surfing facebook today and found this online lure shop with free shipping http://wlure.com/specials.php.

I’m new to the forum – but hope that I might contribute a few thoughts here:

Offshore Asian manufactured fishing lures are at times much less expensive than many produced here in North America. I prefer to support firms located here, but I do have a budget to follow.

I have found that some of these offshore lures are of value, and do produce results. There is nothing wrong with most such inline spinners, spinner baits, or lipless diving rattling plugs. Plus the colours and finishes are good and have lots of variety. There also are items that are basically garbage, are weak, will never track correctly, or spin endlessly. The key is to test a sample before buying a particular lure in quantity.

I find the better of these less expensive lures great for use in exploring new waters – where we all seem to lose a whack of lures while figuring out the snags and bottom contours………….in this situation I believe it is way better/smarter to lose a $3 lure than a $7 (or more) lure!

I do agree that the hook quality and sharpness can be low, but a quick filing will fix much of that.

I note that as time goes forward the finish quality of imports is getting much better, tougher and thicker.

Furthermore, we must understand that many popular “brand” name lure manufacturers have in the last decade opened or purchased facilities in Asia. Rapala, and its very long list of brands, is one such company with many plants in Asia as well as Europe.

http://www.rapalaworld.com/ir_page.php?s...9BT0ZTRFht

Other Asian products include items from Ugly Stik, Pflueger, Shakespeare, Eagle Claw, Zebco, Red Wolf, some Blue Fox, Ryobi, some Fenwick, some Mitchell………………. The list is long and growing.

We many times pay full pop for Asian imports because of the brand name’s long past reputation.

Read the fine print on your lure packages! Country of Origin must be displayed on all products sold here. You may be surprised how little is made in North America.

I guess the bottom line for me is that my tackle box will contain both the imports and the home grown.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-09-2012)
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Local tackle shops support our sport and deserve our support as well.
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
(03-07-2012 03:33 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 02:08 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Given that, on Sunday, my friend's Walmart suspending crank outperformed all of my name-brand tackle I'd like to hear what you guys think of cheap/knock-off lures.

I’m new to the forum – but hope that I might contribute a few thoughts here:

Offshore Asian manufactured fishing lures are at times much less expensive than many produced here in North America. I prefer to support firms located here, but I do have a budget to follow.

I have found that some of these offshore lures are of value, and do produce results. There is nothing wrong with most such inline spinners, spinner baits, or lipless diving rattling plugs. Plus the colours and finishes are good and have lots of variety. There also are items that are basically garbage, are weak, will never track correctly, or spin endlessly. The key is to test a sample before buying a particular lure in quantity.

I find the better of these less expensive lures great for use in exploring new waters – where we all seem to lose a whack of lures while figuring out the snags and bottom contours………….in this situation I believe it is way better/smarter to lose a $3 lure than a $7 (or more) lure!

I do agree that the hook quality and sharpness can be low, but a quick filing will fix much of that.

I note that as time goes forward the finish quality of imports is getting much better, tougher and thicker.

Furthermore, we must understand that many popular “brand” name lure manufacturers have in the last decade opened or purchased facilities in Asia. Rapala, and its very long list of brands, is one such company with many plants in Asia as well as Europe.

http://www.rapalaworld.com/ir_page.php?s...9BT0ZTRFht

Other Asian products include items from Ugly Stik, Pflueger, Shakespeare, Eagle Claw, Zebco, Red Wolf, some Blue Fox, Ryobi, some Fenwick, some Mitchell………………. The list is long and growing.

We many times pay full pop for Asian imports because of the brand name’s long past reputation.

Read the fine print on your lure packages! Country of Origin must be displayed on all products sold here. You may be surprised how little is made in North America.

I guess the bottom line for me is that my tackle box will contain both the imports and the home grown.

Can you link to some cheap lure sites?
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Try EBay - search on "Lure Lots" in Canada. A few even offer free shipping.
03-09-2012, 12:40 AM
I ordered 3 deep-running cranks from wlure, paid $6. I'll post up more info when I receive the order (should be a few weeks though).

Can't argue with the price.

03-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd change the hooks on any cheap or knockoff baits you have...also, they probably don't "run" right.
Even good quality expense lures are occasionally not tuned correctly. You'll notice it on your retrieve when the wobble or action of your lure just isn't right. usually you can bend the ring the connects your line.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to photo_rob for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)
03-10-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 05:37 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(03-10-2012 01:42 PM)photo_rob Wrote:  I'd change the hooks on any cheap or knockoff baits you have...also, they probably don't "run" right.
Even good quality expense lures are occasionally not tuned correctly. You'll notice it on your retrieve when the wobble or action of your lure just isn't right. usually you can bend the ring the connects your line.

Any suggestions on tuning lures via hooks? If i put a hook that's too small or too big, how will that usually affect the lure?

Also, if my lure is running to my right when retrieving, I bend the loop to the.... left or right?

03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
You'll be suprised by some of the lures you can get at the local dollar store. I have a few in the back of the tackle box that I'll sometimes throw on for newbies to use. A few years ago my buddy got a 12lb Muskie on scugog from shore using a dollar store stick bait. Wow!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-14-2012)