You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Licensing Exams?
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012 10:55 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Fishing Licensing Exams?
Just got off the phone with a service rep at the MNR. She gave me an email address that can reach the office responsible for the outdoors card and licence distribution. She told me the ministry is moving away from using print copies of the regulations to save money and that they wouldn't be interested in handing out the full regs book to everyone with a liscence.... but surely we can make an effort to at least include something standard issue with every liscence.

May it be a smartphone QR code that can be scanned or a slimmed-down version of the regs... I think something can be done to improve knowledge of regulations from a licencing standpoint.

Send an email with your suggestions to mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca. We can try a to improve the situation at hand...

edit: I just sent them an email summarizing some concerns noted in this thread and linked them here. Hopefully somebody from the MNR has a chance to respond to our concerns. Smile

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012 02:45 PM by OldTimer.)
Just amazing is'nt it............. throw 1 billion bucks in the toilet by cancelling two needed power plants (in order to look good to voters basically)....... then stupidly attempt to save a couple hundred thousand cancelling things used to help reduce crime............ like I said we certainly dont need any more of this kind of big brothering................ wow.

.................just wow............. again..............

OT
(10-26-2012 10:44 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Just got off the phone with a service rep at the MNR. She gave me an email address that can reach the office responsible for the outdoors card and licence distribution. She told me the ministry is moving away from using print copies of the regulations to save money and that they wouldn't be interested in handing out the full regs book to everyone with a liscence.... but surely we can make an effort to at least include something standard issue with every liscence.

May it be a smartphone QR code that can be scanned or a slimmed-down version of the regs... I think something can be done to improve knowledge of regulations from a licencing standpoint.

Send an email with your suggestions to mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca. We can try a to improve the situation at hand...

edit: I just sent them an email summarizing some concerns noted in this thread and linked them here. Hopefully somebody from the MNR has a chance to respond to our concerns. Smile

I agree MA............. it would'nt cost a whole bunch for a simple letter size leaflet to be sent with licences. This size leaflet could easily contain cautions against the most prevalent violations and net links or QR codes to the full regs. In fact they could make this the usual piece of cardboard/paper that your licence is gummy glued too......... and would'nt cost them a dime extra.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
10-26-2012, 04:13 PM
(10-26-2012 01:51 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I agree MA............. it would'nt cost a whole bunch for a simple letter size leaflet to be sent with licences. This size leaflet could easily contain cautions against the most prevalent violations and net links or QR codes to the full regs. In fact they could make this the usual piece of cardboard/paper that your licence is gummy glued too......... and would'nt cost them a dime extra.

OT

Print it at the back of the plastic license...

5 slots for annual tags, but you renew the card every3 years...so why 5 slots???

Instead, put the tag slot on the front, and put simple regs on the back. Or at least have the website to the regs printed at the back of the card. So simple...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Great idea........... and there'd even be room to do it in three or four of the most prevalent languages........................

See you on the river.
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
(10-26-2012 04:20 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Great idea........... and there'd even be room to do it in three or four of the most prevalent languages........................

I know they do have regs in Chinese. I've read them Big Grin

But 3 or 4 most prevalent languages...isn't that discrimination against other minority languages? ......Smile Tongue

I love being Canadian....Smile

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

10-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Well then just.............. do it in the two so called official Canadian languages............. if that floats your boat.

Already.......... english is a minority langauge on this planet and has been for quite some time, and french is far far behind that.

I have always loved being Canadian. Particularly during the hockey season........... smile.

How's the China hockey league doin'.............. smile.

OT

See you on the river.
10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
(10-26-2012 06:12 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  How's the China hockey league doin'.............. smile.

OT

The table hockey is very good since we're great with our chopsticks. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

10-27-2012, 06:34 AM
I like it.......... good one.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-06-2012, 04:56 PM
This is my first post, and thank-you, MichaelAngelo, for the warm welcome.
I'm writing about Grenadier Pond in High Park, Toronto.
Birds and turtles get killed by monofilament. About 10 signs went up around Grenadier Pond in June to warn anglers of the danger, asking them to make sure to pick up their line and other gear, and since then there have been more incidents than ever. Volunteers pick up monofilament every day, never visit the pond without scissors and tweezers to free entangled wildlife, and are on a first-name basis with Toronto Wildlife. Toronto Wildlife spends a couple of weeks rescuing some poor animal, performing specialized surgery, and then have to release it right back to Grenadier Pond. A pond that is an important migratory bird stopover. The MNR has actually made a few visits this year but, as many of you have noted, enforcement is woefully inadequate.
It would be really nice if the angling community were part of the solution. (This recommendation actually dates from 1995.) Obviously, most people are not bad apples. But Grenadier Pond is very small and very popular and only needs a few bad apples to make the place unsafe for wildlife.
So what would you do, if Grenadier Pond were yours?
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Backfill & Condos................smile.

But more seriously - it is ours.

See you on the river.