You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Licensing Exams?
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
RE: Fishing Licensing Exams?
"... it is ours."
True.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I must say, I found something about this thread fundamentally disturbing. I agree with what OldTimer said... I don't want more government breathing down my neck, and making me pay more for fishing... I say ABSOLUTELY NOT to a fishing license test. The reason we have license tests for driving a car and hunting is for our own and others safety. If you go down the slippery slope to introduce licenses for conservation education, where would it end? Would I need a license to go for a hike in the woods?!

Be careful about the "user fee" mentality... it's a trick the government uses to get you to pay more taxes without going through the proper way of increasing taxes. I'm not so sure I trust the government to use the funds they raise through user fees for the intended purpose. They seem to use it as an excuse to reduce funding for something because the user fees are supposed to pay for it.

I don't think that the fines for breaking the regulations are trivial; perhaps they once were, but there has been some pretty serious fines dished out lately. The regs are complicated and getting more so, and I'm not sure I want anyone to suffer jail time just for making a mistake when they are out trying to enjoy the outdoors.

Also, more regulations won't help anything... the key is enforcement of existing regs. Adding more regs will more than likely discourage people from becoming involved in fishing. What makes you think that having a test will result in better adherence to the regulations?

I think it is silly to blame immigrants for fishing problems... almost all of us *are* immigrants (or descendants of immigrants). Complaining about immigrants just seems racist to me.

Do you really think it is that bad??? I really find it hard to complain about the state of fishing in Ontario when within minutes of my house I can fish for many different species of fish and expect to get good catches virtually every time I go out.

If any of you guys are serious about being fishing ambassadors, then I suggest that you quit wining and start leading by example and put forward a positive image. Get involved and educate fellow anglers. Become a big brother and take a kid fishing. Set a good example by organizing clean-ups. Join a local chapter of trout unlimited or some other fishing organization. Complaining about how bad things are will only lead to fishing being shut down... it's playing into the hands of the antis.

If you must focus on a "bad guy" then look don't target fellow fisherpeople... go after the real threats to fish populations. The reality is that urbanization, commercial fishing, habitat destruction, pollution and introduction of invasive species are a much bigger threat to native fish populations than any amount of angling.

I'll get off my soap box now... ;-)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to woolyworm for this post:
Giuga10 (01-05-2013), grubman (01-17-2013), Jeremy Ray Green (01-17-2013)
01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't think a test is necessary. We've all been fishing since we were kids and know the do's and dont's and we have guidelines for that. I find that most people who don't follow the rules are the ones who don't really understand it or just don't care. All we really need is vigilance and report those who break rules in front of us, AND, MNR to get thier bums when they get the call.
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
(01-16-2013 11:12 AM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  We've all been fishing since we were kids and know the do's and dont's and we have guidelines for that. I find that most people who don't follow the rules are the ones who don't really understand it or just don't care.

I've been fishing since I was 5, I'm 15 now and in September I made a huge mistake by breaking a certain rule that I didn't know was a rule until the members on this forum let me know, I thought it was just frowned upon. In turn I learned from my mistakes and am now able to share this knowledge with other new and old fisherman who don't know this.

I completely disagree to what you said about ''We've all been fishing since we were kids and know the do's and dont's'' we are always learning no matter what age, just because we've been fishing since our childhood it doesn't mean we know it all.

I like to use my dad as an example because he has been fishing since the day he could walk and I am still correcting him and teaching him about fishing laws that he never even knew existed.

Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
MuskieBait (01-18-2013)
01-18-2013, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 12:25 AM by MuskieBait.)
(01-05-2013 12:50 AM)woolyworm Wrote:  I think it is silly to blame immigrants for fishing problems... almost all of us *are* immigrants (or descendants of immigrants). Complaining about immigrants just seems racist to me.

I'm an immigrant myself...1st generation Canadian...originally from Hong Kong...

I still think some (not all) immigrants are fishing without license or with disregard to the law, and it is still an issue to address. Some of the things that I overhear from my ethnic group is appalling. I've also seen people of my culture rape and pillage a certain lake. Just a couple of years ago, I saw Lake Scugog turned from slab crappie producer to a dead state in one location due to the spread of word and unethical fishing from certain ethnic groups. Some "anglers" tossed undersized fish on the ice to die, some "anglers" kept fish of ANY size since cultural cuisines include fish soup (they argue fish of any size can be used to make soup), and large individual prime spawners never get the release. I was a sad state. I don't like stereotype, and I don't like targeting certain ethnic groups...but as a Chinese-Canadian, I was ashamed to associate myself with "those people"...

Just my $0.02...telling it like it is...you can't hide skin colour...Rolleyes

Again...not all Chinese anglers are bad...but some of them are so very darn visible...and make the rest of us look so very darn BAD!!!

Better ethnic program is still needed...maybe commercials in various ethnic TV stations in the respective language...more community involvement...education programs...etc.

However, I think a fishing license exam should still be considered.

(01-17-2013 08:07 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 11:12 AM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  We've all been fishing since we were kids and know the do's and dont's and we have guidelines for that. I find that most people who don't follow the rules are the ones who don't really understand it or just don't care.

I've been fishing since I was 5, I'm 15 now and in September I made a huge mistake by breaking a certain rule that I didn't know was a rule until the members on this forum let me know, I thought it was just frowned upon. In turn I learned from my mistakes and am now able to share this knowledge with other new and old fisherman who don't know this.

I completely disagree to what you said about ''We've all been fishing since we were kids and know the do's and dont's'' we are always learning no matter what age, just because we've been fishing since our childhood it doesn't mean we know it all.

I like to use my dad as an example because he has been fishing since the day he could walk and I am still correcting him and teaching him about fishing laws that he never even knew existed.

Giuga10

I also have to say that some of the worst offenders are the older generation who are either ignorant to look at changes to the regulation...or those who simply don't care.

Things I sometimes hear...

"I've been fishing for (this many) years and I've always kept 4 trout. There are still as many fish today as (this many) years ago"...when the limit across the region was reduced to 2 lake trout for seasonal license

"My family's been fishing here since grandpa got the cottage and you never need a license"

"You can always keep walleye as long as they are big enough for the pan"...where there is a slot limit on the lake

Ever heard of the phrase "the blind leading the blind"?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-18-2013, 04:09 PM
sterotyping old folks?............ unlike other groups......... we all become one, no matter what (or die), sooner than you think............smile.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 04:45 PM by rich_ace_G.)
Not here to say old folks don't break rules. Like i said. We have all the resources available that would make our fishing experiences in accordance to angling laws. That is why they hand out MNR reg magazines to new anglers, no? Honest mistakes go hand in hand with learning curve. And kudos to people who realize mistakes and correct them.
Rules change depending on what MNR thinks is best for fisheries. Some people are updated some are not and some just ignore it.
01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
More seriously though......... sadly - the MNR does NOT hand out regulations to new anglers as standard practice. You must ask for them or seek them out.

Re: MNR.............. in addition to long term goals and associated helpful regulation adjustments............the MNR also considers current public needs & pressure .......... albeit slowly...... but it does.

Part of it's mandate is to provide better fishing opportunities where less or none would exist via it's stocking programs.

Do remember that a lot of the stocking done is 100% "put and take" and in no way is a long term investment.

In all avenues of life - No one notices or recalls the mild guy following the rules............ the real jerks, toxic loudmouths, and criminals stand out in our memories. ----- PHOTOGRAPH & REPORT THEM!

...smile

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-20-2013, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 12:13 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(01-18-2013 04:43 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  That is why they hand out MNR reg magazines to new anglers, no?

They don't and I called them up to discuss it. They front-line rep said it would be too costly to print out a new copy of the regulations for each new fishing liscence purchase (OK and it would use up an excessive amount of paper).

I also emailed them, but no response (as expected).

But like OT said before, a simple QR code or link to the online regulations and a WARNING about potential fines on the back of the card.

For example, on the back of the card above the tag slots:

Infractions to fishing regulations may cost you up to $50,000.
Learn the regulations for your zone today:
(link)

So simple!

[Image: logobgs.png]
03-20-2013, 06:34 AM
I totally agree with Woolyworm. We need to speak up and tell the offender in an educational manner what they are doing wrong rather than just complain. If we take just a few minutes to pick up just a bit of garbage some one left and if we all do it, that will make a difference. It is like the broken window theory which really works.