You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Reports
05-11-2012, 01:17 AM
RE: Fishing Reports
(04-13-2012 12:39 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  My ideal forum will have a contribution meter. As long as the member contributes fishing reports to the forum, the access to read the report forum is maintained. If the member stops contributing after a certain period of time, the access to view report is revoked until a new report is posted.

It encourages participation. Sure, it's not a forum for everyone (since people like to freeload), but the quality of the members is greatly improved. It's just a matter of quality vs. quantity. It's useless having 5000 members when only 50 of them are contribution anything worthwhile to the forum. I'd rather be on a forum where members are active contributing and helpful to each other, both online and in person.

MuskyBait when I was first drafting a plan for the reports, this was my ideal. I haven't learned to program it yet, and I'm not sure it's entirely possible on the current MyBB platform OSF runs on.

If you ever hear about a method to implement this, let me know.

I haven't looked into the programming enough to say yay or nay yet.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
(05-11-2012 12:59 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 10:12 PM)Limeyangler Wrote:  OK...i am gonna have to say something now.

Done my 16 posts....and tried not to just be spammy to gain access...but it still wont let me post a report...i am patient...but i also have other things to do with my time.

Ciao!

This isn't the first time somebody's been confused about this. This is what the no access message states:

"Please Note: You must have over 15 posts in order to view Fishing Reports. Please see here. Feel free to join in on our discussions, we pride ourselves in maintaining a warm and welcoming fishing community. See you on the boards!

If you just made your 16th post, please log out and log in again to gain access.
"

I'll edit the error message so hopefully it doesn't get overlooked again.

I have access now...thanks. I just want you to know that i tried logging in and out several times...even turned my computer off and on /cleared cookies you name it and it would not let me in even though my post count was at 16.
Find all posts by this user
05-22-2012, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2012 12:30 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
New members can now submit reports in the "Your First Report" subforum. Posts made in this forum are invisible to all other users except moderators.

If the report is of quality and demonstrates effort on the part of the new member -- an eagerness and enthusiasm towards angling -- access will be granted.

We're going to try this new option out and see how it fairs. It solves the problem of diligent newcomers not being able to share reports. It also solves the problem of new members posting reports and locations in the General Discussion section.

05-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Good idea!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
05-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Right on.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
In light of very recent activities perhaps this "pre-qualification" process needs a tweak to slow up the 16 "one sentence posts" thrown up by new visitors within an hour, or so, of joining.

Perhaps a calendar based time delay qualifier should be added to the 16 posts thing.

How does 2 weeks sound?...................... while still maintaining the ability to gain quicker access via a QUALITY first report.

OT

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Giuga10 (01-31-2013)
01-31-2013, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 06:59 PM by MuskieBait.)
I always think about implementing a contribution-required privilege to maintain an account...that is, a member can only maintain an active account with privilege to access certain forum features (such as reports) if they themselves participate in contributing to that section. In essence, if members do not post their own report every so often, they lose privilege to view reports until a new contribution is made. Simply replying to someone's report will not count. It is only when a new report is posted by the member would the contribution count.

Contributions "points" can be saved up for rainy days...such as for member who (for example) do not icefish so they are dormant for 3-4 month period, but they should have enough spring/summer/fall time contributions "saved up" to continue access.

I don't think minimum posts or calendar base will really encourage CONTINUED PARTICIPATION in a long run. You often gets these members who reach a certain post limit at a given time...and then disappear forever...

That's also why I don't share a lot in my reports...a lot of people just lurk in the background to take, take and take...but never contribute back. I have fishing buddies that I will share all...but we understand and respect that we make mutual contributions to our collective knowledge that will benefit BOTH of us. It is never a one way street with me.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-31-2013, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 11:38 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
A system that tracks continued participation is ideal. A while ago, I looked into getting this programmed (proof: http://community.mybb.com/thread-123110.html ) and it is currently out of my reach, requiring the hiring of a programmer. If you know somebody who can do it, let me know. I'll also keep searching and learning about how to implement this.

The MyBB platform supports user permissions based on post counts, reputation, number of referrals, and time registered. Perhaps I can do something with time registered.

Continue to keep reporting freeloaders. I also periodically go through and remove Reports access to no-shows and send them a PM welcoming them to come back.

01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
I am working as a IT consultant.I believe this system is written in PHP. and I am planning to learn PHP this year, if we're not in hurry. I can study this system and customize it.
(01-31-2013 11:31 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  A system that tracks continued participation is ideal. A while ago, I looked into getting this programmed and it is currently out of my reach, requiring the hiring of a programmer. If you know somebody who can do it, let me know. The MyBB platform supports user permissions based on post counts, reputation, number of referrals, and time registered. Perhaps I can do something with time registered.

Continue to keep reporting freeloaders. I also periodically go through and remove Reports access to no-shows and send them a PM welcoming them to come back.
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
(01-31-2013 06:57 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Simply replying to someone's report will not count. It is only when a new report is posted by the member would the contribution count.

Good thoughts.

also.........This got me thinking that perhaps "thread" count might also be a variable useful in establishing long term access and privledges. In this way the forum does not penalize currently inactive past contributors who in the past authored threads of significant value (we do have some).

See you on the river.