You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Reports
04-04-2012, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 12:08 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Fishing Reports
(04-04-2012 09:09 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Perhaps Mike should consider waiving the post limit if someone posts a decent report in return for access to the reports section? (its not like most of the reports in the locked forum here are not also posted over at other forums on open boards...lol)

I thought about doing this. In my opinion it's too easy for anybody to submit a phony report "oh we went out to the river and caught nothing" and add some more details to make it sound better.

I'm thinking about it like this:

The internet is made for mass exchange of information, so anything posted in a public area on the internet will get maximum exposure. Now, requiring registration on the forum cuts out about 90%. Requiring the 16 post count cuts out even more.

Effectively that makes the report section a more intimate place, which it should be. In my opinion the 16 post count will cut out more traffic than the submission of 1 report, which can be phony.

Also I'm using this as an incentive for new users to get involved in our threads here and build up this new forum.

I'm open to debating of course. What would you guys rather have?

edit: Maybe lowering the post count to something like 5 would be less of a hurdle for new users. It would be a goal most could tackle instead of give up on? This would lead to more posts in the long run.

edit2: On the other hand, I chose a larger number like 16 because it can't really be done in one sitting. It involves building a relationship with the board. And people that have built relationships with the board are the ones who should read the reports.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2012, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 07:15 AM by OldTimer.)
(04-04-2012 09:09 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Perhaps Mike should consider waiving the post limit if someone posts a decent report in return for access to the reports section? (its not like most of the reports in the locked forum here are not also posted over at other forums on open boards...lol)

Sure - why not......... make the report subject to MA apparoval and thankful support from other qualified members.........

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-13-2012, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2012 12:49 AM by MuskieBait.)
I actually like the idea of contribution to receive benefits. As in a real society, there is no free handouts. You work hard to receive reward (salary, respect, fame...etc), nothing is freely given.

There are lots of lurkers on message forums and it's annoying that there are lots of freeloaders. That's why I reduce posting pictures with lots of background anymore. Too many people are just looking for the hot bites to chase and not sharing their own successes.

My ideal forum will have a contribution meter. As long as the member contributes fishing reports to the forum, the access to read the report forum is maintained. If the member stops contributing after a certain period of time, the access to view report is revoked until a new report is posted.

It encourages participation. Sure, it's not a forum for everyone (since people like to freeload), but the quality of the members is greatly improved. It's just a matter of quality vs. quantity. It's useless having 5000 members when only 50 of them are contribution anything worthwhile to the forum. I'd rather be on a forum where members are active contributing and helpful to each other, both online and in person.

My favourite fishing forum (a California fishign forum) grew very rapidly in a few years with more than 5000 members and a large fraction of those are contributing everyday. On any day, you can expect at least 5-10 new fishing reports. The number of fishing related and non-fishing discussion is almost too much to track some times. In fact, I'm flying there this summer to visit SF, LA and SD and to specifically fish with some of these members. That's the atmosphere the forum had fostered and quality members are what helped the forum flourish.

JMHO.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (04-13-2012)
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes....... but ............not everyone is comfortable in their abilities to express themselves a whole bunch on a public forum.

I am - you are - but we are part of the minority - right here and right now.

As you - I don't want freeloaders.

BUT............ I'd like to think perhaps I can help a "good" someone (or two) enjoy the sport I've loved for half a century ++.

oh well..............Maybe I'm not a "quality member".

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
LOL...i am replying to this thread because i want to get into the reprts section for a browse and post a report with pics and video...definitely not spam!

I can see where the 16 post thing is coming from...but like somebody else said it is a little frustrating....oh well..i guess it has encouraged me to get involved in the conversation which is what the rule states it sets out to do.
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Limeyangler for this post:
manitoubass2 (05-08-2012)
05-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I can vouch for Limey. You won't be sorry letting him write reports. He does very enjoyable videos as well.

Welcome aboard BTW!!!
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
(05-08-2012 12:11 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  I can vouch for Limey. You won't be sorry letting him write reports. He does very enjoyable videos as well.

Welcome aboard BTW!!!

Thanks MB...i will keep replying to random stuff to aquire the keys to the kingdom....bwahahahaha
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
lol, sounds good Limey
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
OK...i am gonna have to say something now.

Done my 16 posts....and tried not to just be spammy to gain access...but it still wont let me post a report...i am patient...but i also have other things to do with my time.

Ciao!
05-11-2012, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 01:08 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(05-10-2012 10:12 PM)Limeyangler Wrote:  OK...i am gonna have to say something now.

Done my 16 posts....and tried not to just be spammy to gain access...but it still wont let me post a report...i am patient...but i also have other things to do with my time.

Ciao!

This isn't the first time somebody's been confused about this. This is what the no access message states:

"Please Note: You must have over 15 posts in order to view Fishing Reports. Please see here. Feel free to join in on our discussions, we pride ourselves in maintaining a warm and welcoming fishing community. See you on the boards!

If you just made your 16th post, please log out and log in again to gain access.
"

I'll edit the error message so hopefully it doesn't get overlooked again.

[Image: logobgs.png]