You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Reports
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: Fishing Reports
(02-01-2013 07:43 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(01-31-2013 06:57 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Simply replying to someone's report will not count. It is only when a new report is posted by the member would the contribution count.

Good thoughts.

also.........This got me thinking that perhaps "thread" count might also be a variable useful in establishing long term access and privledges. In this way the forum does not penalize currently inactive past contributors who in the past authored threads of significant value (we do have some).

That can be implemented maybe even with current system via "Thanks Received" and "Reputation"....maybe?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 03:41 PM by Giuga10.)
(01-31-2013 11:31 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  If you know somebody who can do it, let me know. I'll also keep searching and learning about how to implement this.

This should help. You can ask questions and gain some knowledge from this and they're usually really nice and helpful.

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/

Giuga10

(02-01-2013 12:19 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  That can be implemented maybe even with current system via "Thanks Received" and "Reputation"....maybe?

That'd be a pretty good idea but I'm not sure about the Reputation one, people don't tend to give +reps like they do thanks. Look at your account for example you've been thanked 110 times but +repped only 4 times. Unless we raise the value of reputation like 1 rep is equal to 10 thanks ect..

Giuga10
02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Step back a moment………

In my mind it’s not about who’s got so many “thanks”, or what your reputation is………….. If your contributions are of value here (as anywhere) such will come naturally and without want.

This site has many “visitors”………. Who, I would imagine, are members that haven’t signed in, or “others”. This will always be the case.

The goal is to establish a fair and equitable system that prevents selfish taking without an ounce of sharing - while promoting all to join up, and then to step up and display their success. You don’t have to say “where” …….. Just share your methods and techniques to help others………. And in turn we all benefit.

The reason we all take pics is to show/share our success…….. otherwise …………why bother…………..

Ponder this a while…………………………..dig?

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
(02-01-2013 05:41 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Step back a moment………

In my mind it’s not about who’s got so many “thanks”, or what your reputation is………….. If your contributions are of value here (as anywhere) such will come naturally and without want.

This site has many “visitors”………. Who, I would imagine, are members that haven’t signed in, or “others”. This will always be the case.

The goal is to establish a fair and equitable system that prevents selfish taking without an ounce of sharing - while promoting all to join up, and then to step up and display their success. You don’t have to say “where” …….. Just share your methods and techniques to help others………. And in turn we all benefit.

The reason we all take pics is to show/share our success…….. otherwise …………why bother…………..

Ponder this a while…………………………..dig?

OT

Hey OT,

Sorry, I must not have communicated that properly...

I'm just saying that a system like "Thanked" or "Reputation" can be used as metrics to tract contributions. If these "Thanks" and "Reputations" come naturally and without want, isn't that then the real measure of a member's value on the board? These are not self inflated measurements...rather "respect" that other members had given. I don't think it should be a stand alone criteria, but it can be use as additional measurements (or at the moment, as a "temp" fix until something is implemented).

For example...

1 new report post = 1 accruable month permission
1 thanked post = 1 accruable weeks permission
1 additional "Level" of reputation = n times the current sum of weeks of permission based on the current level (ie...if you are at Level 2, it is 2 x current total, Level 6 is 6 x current total...etc)

Total time of permitted access is then the sum of all of these metrics.

Reputation level up can increase based on accumulated contributions (article contributions, general discussion topics, reports...etc) and the number of thanks received...

That's just how I would set it up...but this is MA's forum. Smile

As an aside..."accruable" shows up as an incorrect word in the spell check...what the heck? Someone needs a spanking!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
(02-01-2013 06:07 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  For example...

1 additional "Level" of reputation = n times the current sum of weeks of permission based on the current level (ie...if you are at Level 2, it is 2 x current total, Level 6 is 6 x current total...etc)

All this, and then the same person makes 2 accounts and boosts themselves Tongue. Easy to catch though.

Regardless, that's not a bad system. Perhaps I can study the database and see if I can implement something that makes sense.

[Image: logobgs.png]
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
(02-01-2013 07:00 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 06:07 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  For example...

All this, and then the same person makes 2 accounts and boosts themselves Tongue. Easy to catch though.

Regardless, that's not a bad system. Perhaps I can study the database and see if I can implement something that makes sense.

That's why a "thanks" is worth less than an actual report contribution. Wink

You can't think someone 4 times...I hope not...

I think you should be able to track account by their IP's, no?

Malama o ke kai

02-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Some provider services assign you a new IP (dynamic) each time you connect through. Routers and stacked servers can mess with this too I believe, or make one invisble or lost in a crowd below a certain level.

MB - my last post here was not directed you way.

Hang on............ this new system may be great for a seasoned angler who does have some success............ but what about the good upstanding person who is totally new at the sport and is suffering through back to back skunks and is not real thrilled about having to post reports saying so to the world.................this is the angler who needs to see the reports and perhaps learn better methods etc.

And, as I said long ago...... some persons may not be real comfortable posting big reports, or be language capable, or own a camera, or be real computer literate.......................etc. Do we penalize them?............ I hope NOT.

All I think we need is to institute a system which slows down the "dine and dash" jerks to the point they'd forget even trying. The system is close to this right now.

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Giuga10 (02-02-2013)
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 08:01 PM by MuskieBait.)
Don't worry, OT, even if things are directed my way, you and I have established a good communicating relationship. It's all in good discussion.

In my opinion, everyone starts somewhere. We all go through stages of skunks. Even now, I go through lots of skunks (today is a good example).

Even if you are skunked, it's worthwhile to report certain things. For example, I can report on weather conditions, ice conditions, water depths, current, water clarity, techniques and lures used, reaction of the fish to these presentation...etc.

All of the above, even if there is not one bite or fish caught, is important to review and to examine. Not only for the angler himself, but for the community to learn. There is a reason why it didn't work today...there is a reason why others that were out there today were successful (a very limited few people through personal contacts).

There are many things that people can learn from a report. If you take the time to pick through the details (which many people simply can't bother to...or don't have time to), then you can learn a lot. You have to put in the time and work to improve and advance...it's the same for everything in life. There is no substitute for hardwork and continuous learning.

A good report needs not to be long...here's what I could write for a short report.

"We were fishing at Kempenfelt Bay today. We decided to fish at the deeper depth of 126 feet of water since that's where we had success last time. After the warm spell, the ice held up great and we measured 5" of black ice. We fished from 7:30am until 3:30pm. The current was weaker this time and we were able to keep our lines more vertical. Our group of 5 did not have much luck, but 2 people from our group did hook up a lake trout each. One trout was caught on the Williams Ice Jig, the other was caught on a Lindy rattling lure. We fished a collection of lures. Here is the summary of lures used and reaction from fish:

Badd Boyz (jigged slowly inches from bottom with the occasional rip) - fish were intrigued by the commotion and come over to investigate, a few of the follow the lures if you lift the lure slowly, but they would give up the chase a few feet off the bottom.

Swedish Pimple (bounced on bottom, jigged vigorously or retrieved up the water column to about 50 feet of water) - fish did not respond well to all the presentation.

Williams half-and-half (fished similar to the Badd Boyz) - fish responded in the same way as the Badd Boyz. It did not work to get many more follows or bites, but we did get one good bite from a lake trout.

etc...etc...etc..."

Maybe someone haven't tried these lures before and don't know how to use them. Maybe someone more experienced would comment and suggest a better technique on how to use the lure to the poster. Maybe someone has a different experience today and it was just based on the area that was fished, or the timing.

In any case, it adds to the collective knowledge when a report is put up, and everyone can learn from it.

So what I'm trying to say is: even for a complete beginner, there are always things we can learn from this beginner. Relative to my experience, Michael is still a beginner, but I am still learning much from him. There are things that I observe (quietly and discreetly Tongue) that I can learn from him. And even going microfishing with Guiga10 I'm learning the habits and preferred holding waters of certain minnows.

I guess in conclusion, I still believe contributions should be measured fairly and equally whether we're talking about a beginner or a seasoned angler.
As I often say to Michael...

A good angler is one that pays attention to details.

A good angler is one that constantly learns and asks questions and adapts new information into their knowledge and technique toolbox.

A good angler is one that constantly reviews and reevaluates the current fishing conditions, techniques and presentation, and adapts what he/she know from past experience and knowledge to the current needs.

So...if we want to be a helpful and informative board, members need to post reports and techniques used, whether skunked or successful, so we have a collection of data to review and reevaluate, to learn and to question and to pick at all the little details that helps the not-so-successful angler to become a successful angler.

Malama o ke kai

02-03-2013, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:54 AM by OldTimer.)
You're absolutely correct in that we learn, and remember, the most from our mistakes.

And on the positive side............ when ya get skunked........ you just devised sure fire methods on how not to do it...................smile

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
16 posts!!!! It is difficult to rich if you are new as an angler and new in forums as well.
Find all posts by this user