You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing in the Dominican
04-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Fishing in the Dominican
I went to Samana, Dominican Republic for March break and did some fishing while I was down there. I fished 5 separate spots but wasn't too successful with catching anything.

The first spot was fishing into the ocean in front of my hotel, it was too shallow and I didn't have access to a boat so no fish were caught.

The second spot was off of a cliff (which was very scary by the way Tongue). The water was about 15-20 feet deep but again no fish were caught.

A pic of my brother with our ATV guide that took us to the spot. They are right at the edge of the cliff.
[Image: BEOHAs2.jpg]

[Image: ZZO3SSE.jpg]

The third spot was in the ocean off of Rincon Beach I waded about 20 feet out then casted into the water... again no luck.

[Image: KJnF7Hf.jpg]

The fourth spot was a freshwater river on Rincon Beach that lead into the ocean. I noticed 4 different species, including one species of Goby (yup they're there too, but little in numbers). And I had a few bites from the Gobies but lost them. And a few chases from a fish that looked like a Discus but wasn't 100% identifiable. The water was so clean, and crystal clear.

[Image: gGmEcgc.jpg]

[Image: YbhCCxe.jpg]

And the final spot was a small Lake located on the hotel premises and it contained only one species of fish, that was used to being fed bread daily by the restaurant workers so I knew exactly what to use. I got a reasonably small hook and a ball of bread and tossed it in, after about 5 seconds I got my first fish but it was only about 9 inches long and I had seen some lunkers in there so I wasn't giving up until I got one. I wasn't able to cast out far because I had forgotten my weights in the hotel so I had to think of a way to get the jumbos closer to shore. A restaurant worker came out a started feeding the fish and left about 5 slices of bread for me to use. I used the first slice to chum up the water close to shore to get the lunkers in the area and baited up, they did not stay long though and returned to deeper waters so I needed to be faster, I quickly ripped up another slice of bread and tossed my line in short after and it worked, I was rewarded with a 15" Mozambique Tilapia. This fish fought harder than any other fish I have ever caught, and it was pretty heavy too. I had caught a few others but didn't take pictures.

9 incher, his dorsal fin was pretty messed up.
[Image: ONAhTUd.jpg]

9 incher number two, his dorsal fin was pretty messed up too.
[Image: gTA6BqW.jpg]

15 incher, his fins were perfect.
[Image: mubCjWj.jpg]

I didn't catch much in the DR but it was a great experience.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 02:14 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Fishing in the Dominican
(04-09-2013 09:18 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  I didn't catch much in the DR but it was a great experience.

....... and you learned much I would imagine......... all to be applied for more success on your next trip there, or to an ocean trip anywhere.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-27-2013, 06:11 PM
(04-27-2013 02:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 09:18 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  I didn't catch much in the DR but it was a great experience.

....... and you learned much I would imagine......... all to be applied for more success on your next trip there, or to an ocean trip anywhere.

OT

Definitely learned a lot. Smile
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Whether or not you caught a lot of fish, it sounds like you had a great time.

I'm sure it was peaceful, nonetheless, and you got to enjoy the fresh air and the sun.

Nothing wrong with that.
Find all posts by this user