You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

US Fishing Advice?
01-11-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 08:23 PM by fishfight.)
US Fishing Advice?
Instead of going through tons of info on your recent Florida fishing trip posting, Can you guys offer a brief one short page summary or advice on your Florida fishing trip?

1. License cost?
2. Area in florida to fish. Inland or shore? fresh or salt water
3. Timing and Temp of the day
4. Bait , live or artificial.
5. Traveling driving money saving tips.
6. Shortest distance from TO to Florida, I heard two option.
7. What to avoid.
8. Equipment needed?

Maybe a section just to fish US states might be a bonus, so others can also offer their experience. Nothing too detailed, just short to the point.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 02:48 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: US Fishing Advice?
There is so much that a one page summary cannot do any justice, since every species could have a specific way to target them. You do realize that it's like asking someone to summarize fishing in Ontario in one page, right? That's downright difficult! You can write a book just on walleye fishing or pike fishing in Ontario...

...but since you asked, I can try to be brief...

1. License cost?

One year non-resident freshwater license - $47
7 Day non-resident freshwater license - $30
3 Day non-resident freshwater license - $17

One year non-resident saltwater license - $47
7 Day non-resident saltwater license - $30
3 Day non-resident saltwater license - $17

2. Area in florida to fish. Inland or shore? fresh or salt water

Gosh, don't even know where to start with that...basically just find water and just fish. There are fish everywhere in Florida...but...

Tampa Bay - Saltwater inshore and offshore
Tamiami Canal - Freshwater
Miami/Dale Canals - Freshwater
Indian River - Saltwater inshore
Space Coast to Miami Beach - Saltwater inshore and offshore
Florida Keys - Saltwater inshore and offshore

That is really not saying anything at all though...every canal in Miami is different...every bridge in the Keys is different...every section of the Tamiami Canal is different...every section of beach along the Space Coast is different...You just got to put in the leg work and explore areas when you are there. Michael and I had some sure-fire spots suggested to us that were devoid of fish...I mostly trust my own instinct after and just fish areas that I think may hold fish (or I knew the area held fish before). Just go and check out a certain area that you think looks promising...if not, just drive somewhere and check another area out. Gas was cheap...you can afford to drive around to check different areas. I did have a list of potential areas to explore so we were mainly focused on certain canals and areas to explore. Much of that were pretty fruitless though...I believe the cold weather shut the fish down...they were either inactive or left the canals completely for warmer water.

3. Timing and Temp of the day

For freshwater exotic, try not to fish in the winter. I strongly believe the cold weather shuts the fish down. Spring and fall is likely all day affairs. Summer really depends on your heat tolerance. It's probably best to fish only morning and evenings for your own health sake. Exotic species do like warm water though...and the heat of the day could be good for fish like Peacock Bass and Cobra Snakehead.

For saltwater, spring and fall is best since that is the major migratory times. However, depending on the species, timing can be different. For example, some areas of Florida will have great tarpon fishing in March/April, while other areas of Florida is prime for tarpon in June/July/August. Likewise areas of southwestern Florida is great for spotted seatrout, redfish and snook in the winter while summer is only great for these species in the Jacksonville area. Then again, you have to understand the tidal influences for saltwater fish, and realize that each spot could fish differently on certain tides. It is hard to summarize.

Climate and temperature ranges changes very rapidly from northern Florida to the Keys. In fact, we went from 6C near the border of Georgia to 20C in Orlando from just 4.5 hours of driving...and from the 20C in Orlando to 28C in the Keys in just another 7 hours of driving.

Really hard to summarize...the state is huge and opportunities are everywhere...and too many different species with different prime times in different areas...I can write a one page article for each species in each area easily...

4. Bait, live or artificial.

Anything you like really...freshwater is mainly worms, golden shiner and small sunfish, and you can use lures if you like. In the saltwater, it depends on your target species, but it is hard to beat squid, frozen or live shrimp, herring and mullet. Again, too many species...too hard to generalize...

5. Traveling driving money saving tips.

Gas is cheaper in the US...you'll be saving money anyways. Stay in cheap hotels, cook your own food...etc...same old travel saving tips as any trips really.

Or you can eat at McDonald's. Michael didn't believe me that you can get a pretty healthy meal at McDonald's for $6...until he tries it (Side salad - $1, two Grilled Chicken Snack Wraps - $1.59, Yogurt Parfait - $1, Large Unsweetened Ice Tea - $1 or Chocolate Milk - $1...you get enough calories and have a balanced lower carbohydrate, high protein, high fibre and high dairy intake at a low fat and sodium intake. Treat yourself to a Baked Apple Pie - $0.89 if you like. Breakfast you can get a Fruit Oatmeal and a Yogurt Parfait for under $5.) McDonald's are everywhere and many are opened 24 hours.

6. Shortest distance from TO to Florida, I heard two option.

Route 1: Toronto to Detroit to Florida via I-75. This was the route we took as the driving conditions are better in the winter. It does take an extra 1:45 hours.

Route 2: Toronto to Buffalo to Florida via I-95. This is a shorter route, but it is hazardous in the winter driving through the Appalachains in the winter. That area is prone to sudden snowstorms and the steep, windy roads are difficult to navigate in winter conditions.

7. What to avoid.

You'll know when you drive into a sketchy neighbourhood. It's hard to say where to avoid...you can often turn a corner and be in an unsafe area. Trust your gut instinct.

In grassy areas or around bushes, look out for snakes. Cottonmouth aka Water Moccasins are poisonous. They often coil up and display their white mouths as a warning sign, but since they just sit there with their display, you may end up approaching too closely without any visual or auditory warning. They will strike when approached. This is why you have to look out for the snakes.

When you are around water, there could be alligators just about anywhere. Keep a safe distance and do not feed the alligators. They can run on land faster than you think...and they can move up from water onto land faster than you can run back. If an alligator approaches your location from water, it is best to begin backing up from the shore. Have a very healthy respect of these creatures, even the smaller ones can pack a good bite.

8. Equipment needed?

I took 7 rod/reel combos with me from light action rods to 6/0 reel and 50-80lb boat rods. It really depends on what you want to do. I was tempted to bring the fly rods as well...but with the weather we had, it would have seen no use anyways. You really have to be more specific. However, spinning combos, baitcaster combos, heavy saltwater spinning gear and heavy saltwater conventional gear gets my nod. I can write 4 pages just on gear prep alone. Rod and reel combo is one thing...and then you have to consider how to match the combo to the lines to be used, then the possible rigs to fish with each combo, then the necessary leader line, weights and hooks for each. I had hooks from tanago hooks smaller than a #32 to 10/0 circle hooks with me...and weights from steelheading split shots to 10oz egg sinkers. Just to illustrate the insanity of gear we brought, I had split shots, egg sinkers, bell sinkers, bank sinkers, pyramid sinkers and torpedo sinkers...I probably had 5lbs of lead sinkers alone...and we were losing them and running out by the end of the trip. Ask Michael how heavy my saltwater tackle bag was...and that's not including the freshwater tackle bag. If you want to catch everything down there, you have to prepare for everything and be prepared to bring A LOT of gear. Certainly, you can buy gear down there. But when you are at a fishing spot, it sucks not to have certain hooks or line or sinker if an opportunity arises.

If you just want to be specific for certain species, then you have to be more specific on your questions. If you figure out what you want to fish for, and where you want to visit, I can help with more specific info.

** I take these fishing expedition seriously and the main goal always is to catch as many species as possible...whether the target is a 1" mosquitofish or a 5' shark (within reason...we will never have appropriate gear for 8' bull shark). I try to prepare for every fishing situation (well almost) so I bring a lot and prepare a lot. It really depends if you are just as interested in species hunting as we are...and have as many available combos as we did. Between Michael and I, we brought down 13 rods and reels with two other Shakespeare Wonder Pole that didn't see action.

PS...if you don't read the report, you miss out all the little subtle tips, rigging techniques and thought process regarding what we used, why we decided on a specific technique, or why we selected to fish a certain species in a certain location. It's all there for you to learn from...if you choose to spend the time to read, understand and learn Wink Taking a one-page short cut is really missing out all the detailed info I'm trying to share. There is no reward without hardwork...so read on my friend.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 06:57 PM by fishfight.)
Thanks for being patient , it helped to summarized just some basics knowledge one need to fish certain areas of florida. I am planning a trip sometime before summer months.

I drove 7000km round trip back and forth to Florida on Aug 2012 it was a tiresome trip, we stopped at many states along the way, the trip took my family 9 days total time to fully explore the features of each states on our way to Florida.

Fishing was not a priority when I travel with my family, cause once I start fishing, it will be hard to stop. Only fishing place I tried was in Jacksonville, Florida. Couple of hours on Guana Dam. This area has both fresh and salt water fishing separated by the dam , fresh water trout(has small sharp teeth) up to 4lbers on the fresh water side, while the saltwater side of the dam had thousands of 4 inch bait fish, and some other bigger fish jumping while eating them, bait fish were used to catch crabs or other bigger fish on the fresh water side. I will have to buy casting nets the next time I go back there to catch these bait fish.

I waded up to my waist area while fishing at Guana Dam, the water temp was 80 degree warm that day. Did not took us long to get sun burned. Lots of 1 lb Blue crabs were landed by locals. They gave me basic pointers on how to catch these crabs, changing fresh cut-up bait fish every half an hour is the key, just tie the bait with a small rope, and let it sit at the bottom, once the rope started to move, the crab is there, they will not let go even after pulling them out of the water. They even sold them for $1 each, since hundreds were landed. It was the time of the year for these crabs to spawn close to shore lines. I was surprise many of us we were not stepping on top of these crabs, or getting bitten. The white sandy beach was only 10 minute walk from the Dam, some anglers were surf fishing, I was told 4 ft shark can be landed fishing that way. This particular beach was not too crowded during weekday when we were there, it had a fresh water shower, a convenience store, and clean washroom, all Free to the public. One can do 3 types of fishing, Surf, salt and fresh water fishing, just need 3 types of license.

At Emery Island, another 45 minutes drive north of Jacksonville, I witness 50+lb tarpon catapult out of the water just casting distance from shore, I did not fish here due to time constraint, right before it got dark, and thunder showers headed our way, I just observe the locals landed 2 lb mackerel, and a 3 lb shark fishing on shore.

Last June, 2012. I visited state of Maine, fished for couple of hours and landed 1lb mackerel using shrimp. Lot of fish were landed by everyone that day, maximum of 4 hooks can be on a line while fishing for them. I also saw lot of seal where we were fishing. Many kids were successful fishing that day. Surf fishing saltwater license at Maine cost $1. Will be going there again around June 2013. My 20 year old daughter travels to Maine to perform her yearly classical music concert.
Find all posts by this user
01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
If surf fishing Florida is your plan - I'd suggest joining a Florida local forum dedicated to the sport.

This one is the best I've seen, good bunch of guys.........:

http://www.surfishingflorida.com/Forum/t...fault.aspx

You'll find that ocean fisher's are not so "hush hush" and share information freely, and daily ------------ you see- in the surf - conditions and fish location are fleeting, and constantly changing ........endlessly.......... so secrets may vanish in a heartbeat......

It's the techniques and bait discussions you'll find invaluable.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user