You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 10:19 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
(03-11-2012 08:54 AM)Craneboy Wrote:  I'm trying to organize a "Fish-In" for Sunday, March 11th (yes...TODAY!!) @ high noon....til 3 pm or so...

The weather is supposed to be spectacular ??

Location: The sheltered public dock area just west of the Central Ferry Docks (south of 77-99 Queens Quay condos)...aka Harbour Square Park.

Meet by the cute little waterfall.... underneath the willows !!

Cheers..... Rx

P.S. Bring lots o' grubs....and sunscreen !!

Shoot! I downtown today but didn't read this until just now. I would've loved to meet up.

PM me next time =)

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
(03-11-2012 08:11 PM)Craneboy Wrote:  (Yes...you can fish 3' from the dock legally in a vessel....but not from shore !!)

I've run into that rule before at Bronte creek. Shore anglers fight back!!! hahah jk =)

03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
(03-11-2012 08:54 AM)Craneboy Wrote:  Location: The sheltered public dock area just west of the Central Ferry Docks (south of 77-99 Queens Quay condos)...aka Harbour Square Park.

Awesome Carp fishing at this spot from sometime around May, not sure if the water and weeds are Carp friendly in March or not.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Rainbow RE: Illegal to shore fish in Toronto Harbour !!
(03-12-2012 07:32 AM)MikeH Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 08:54 AM)Craneboy Wrote:  Location: The sheltered public dock area just west of the Central Ferry Docks (south of 77-99 Queens Quay condos)...aka Harbour Square Park.

Awesome Carp fishing at this spot from sometime around May, not sure if the water and weeds are Carp friendly in March or not.

Awesome pike and walleye @ Harbour Square !
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
(03-12-2012 01:27 PM)Craneboy Wrote:  Awesome pike and walleye @ Harbour Square !

no idea we had walleye downtown

03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Never fished down that way but losing alot of fishing spot's down this way because of the garbage people leave.I wish people would bring bag's with them to put the garbage in instead of tossing it on the ground.Can't count how many times i have picked up someone elses trash to try and save the few places we can fish.
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to walleyepro1 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-13-2012)
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
(03-13-2012 09:19 PM)walleyepro1 Wrote:  Never fished down that way but losing alot of fishing spot's down this way because of the garbage people leave.I wish people would bring bag's with them to put the garbage in instead of tossing it on the ground.Can't count how many times i have picked up someone elses trash to try and save the few places we can fish.

I noticed this too, I can't believe people just leave their packaging strewn around. It gives fishermen a bad rep.

03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Heres the response I got from The Toronto Port Authority. I believe it is fair and clear..

Thank-you for your question to the Toronto Port Authority.

For your information, a map of the jurisdiction of the TPA can be found at:

http://www.torontoport.com/TorontoPortAu...iction.png

The Practises and Procedures of the Toronto Port Authority state:

http://www.torontoport.com/Port/About-Us...dures.aspx

24. No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs.

25. Afloat Recreational/Commercial fishing is not to be undertaken in a navigable channel, or areas designated for other activities swimming, diving, etc

The vast majority of the waterfront property in the harbour are owned by the City of Toronto or by private companies and NOT the Toronto Port Authority. So the inference of number 24 is that you must have permission from the land owner to fish off of their property.

Number 25 is strictly based on safety and navigation. No fishing in navigation, swimming or related use areas. Each marina will have their own rules regarding fishing so you will need to check with them.

Fishing is commonplace amongst the Toronto Islands which fall under the jurisdiction of the city's Park and Recreation Department.

Chapter 608 of the Toronto Municipal Code deals with Parks. Section 38 addresses Fishing.

ยง 608-38. Fishing.

While in a park:
A. No person shall fish in an area posted to prohibit fishing;
B. No person shall store or leave any lures, bait, hooks, lines, poles or other equipment in the park in a location or manner that may injure other persons or wildlife; and
C. All permitted fishing must be carried out in compliance with all Ministry of Natural Resources Rules and Regulations.

So from Clause 608-38 (A)...fishing is permitted at all city Parks except where posted.

Please contact me if you have additional questions or concerns.

cheers

Michael Riehl
Deputy Harbour Master
& Manager of Customer Relations
Toronto Port Authority
416-462-1227

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-15-2012), MikeH (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2012 02:40 PM by MikeH.)
Good job on getting a clear reply, I got nothing back last year and had to reach out to MNR and city council.

This is pretty much the response I got from MNR last year. They referenced the city bylaw 608-38 and the "private property" signs, such as the ones posted on the floating docks inside Spadina Marina. I was asked to move off from the city side of Alexandra marina wall by rent a cop last summer and I quoted the city by law at him and he just shrugged and left me alone.

The only issues I see are along the Harbourfront centre where they have made it clear they dont want fisherman standing on their shorefront. I dont know if it's private or not. If I fish somewhere like the beach boardwalk at HTO park I usually fish early in the morning when there's no one around and its nice and quiet.

I think its just a question of common sense and manners. If we dont stand around overhead casting 2oz lures with big trebles on them in front of Harbourfront centre on a crowded summer weekend, no one loses an eye or an ear, and I doubt we will see a bunch of no fishing signs springing up. Not dropping line and lures all over the place helps too. Taking a bag and picking up a bit of litter goes a long way.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MikeH for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-15-2012)
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
(03-14-2012 02:35 PM)MikeH Wrote:  I think its just a question of common sense and manners.

Right on Mike,

Class and consideration are very cool in my book.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.