You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Losing a lot of hooks and sinkers...help?
09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
RE: Losing a lot of hooks and sinkers...help?
I can really relate to that.......... the "watching grass grow" thing ..............

But more to the point of this thread:

In my fishing......... I've found that short shank hooks have been less "snag-able" IN FRESHWATER BOTTOM FISHING than full J hooks or Carlisle/Aberdeen styles............... you?

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Interesting. To be honest, I haven't notice much difference. I typically use baitholder or octopus hooks for bottom fishing (live or dead bait). Both seems equally "snag-able" to me. I usually use 3-way, split shot, sliding egg, sliding bell or the dropshot rig for bottom fishing...and didn't notice much of a difference.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
I think we are likely to scare sonicsink, she asks a simple questions and all the keeners try to one up each other Smile Smile
Find all posts by this user
09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Don't be sacred...there's lots to learn...

And not trying to one up each other...just discussing each others' experiences and opinions. Not everything has to agree..."there's more than one way to skin a fish" Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the ideas (and the math lesson! Confused LOL) I haven't been scared off yet, I've just had to do a lot of googling on all these fish terms. It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

I'll try some of the things suggested, maybe even just use a slip bobber set up and see how that goes, and if I lose too many more sinkers, I'll just raid my husbands work shop Tongue
09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
(09-18-2013 10:54 AM)sonicsink Wrote:  It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

Not really........... It's as complicated as you wish to make it... Just make it fun.

Along the way - A lot of us "so-called" experienced anglers have had out butts kicked by a youngster, or novice, just fishing a simple bait setup.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
(09-18-2013 04:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(09-18-2013 10:54 AM)sonicsink Wrote:  It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

Not really........... It's as complicated as you wish to make it... Just make it fun.

Along the way - A lot of us "so-called" experienced anglers have had out butts kicked by a youngster, or novice, just fishing a simple bait setup.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Ain't that the truth.... This summer my 6 year old caught the big bass swimming around the dock on worm and bobber (I did switch him to a circle hook though) while my brother in law and me were skunked.

He had bragging rights that evening Smile