You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

May Pike Fishing
03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: May Pike Fishing
My understanding is that iceout Pike (pre-spawn) is a good time to fish... Might be worth braving the cold. I was hoping for iceout Pike here in Ottawa but it does not look like the weather will be co-operating this year.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 09:26 PM by Nerdastic.)
Any ideas of places to try that are not the Toronto Islands lol? I live in Brampton, and the whole idea of going through the city with fishing equipment is kind of bleh. I enjoy nature much more Smile. I have read about the Orangeville Reservoir (Island Lake), but but also read that there are just a lot of small pike there.. nothing noteworthy to be caught from shore... Any clues?
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
(03-18-2013 09:26 PM)Nerdastic Wrote:  Any ideas of places to try that are not the Toronto Islands lol? I live in Brampton, and the whole idea of going through the city with fishing equipment is kind of bleh. I enjoy nature much more Smile. I have read about the Orangeville Reservoir (Island Lake), but but also read that there are just a lot of small pike there.. nothing noteworthy to be caught from shore... Any clues?

What you read about Orangeville Res is true...just small pike.

Not sure where around you in Brampton...Brampton is kinda bleh for fishing. I would instead try fishing for bass and carp at your local Brampton ponds.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
(03-20-2013 01:20 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 09:26 PM)Nerdastic Wrote:  Any ideas of places to try that are not the Toronto Islands lol? I live in Brampton, and the whole idea of going through the city with fishing equipment is kind of bleh. I enjoy nature much more Smile. I have read about the Orangeville Reservoir (Island Lake), but but also read that there are just a lot of small pike there.. nothing noteworthy to be caught from shore... Any clues?

Not sure where around you in Brampton...Brampton is kinda bleh for fishing. I would instead try fishing for bass and carp at your local Brampton ponds.
Last summer I caught a couple of small pike at Ken Whilans, just north of Brampton. All caught on a spinner. You have to pay a small fee for park access, or you can also buy a membership, which gives you access to all the credit valley conservation areas.

John
03-21-2013, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 10:15 PM by MuskieBait.)
Had two 24"+ pike followed my big 6" lure today down by the Lakeshore. Unfortunately, the lure was too big and didn't fit in the fish's mouth...yes, one attempted to grab it but couldn't get the hook set on the big lure. Wink

Don't come downtown to fish...it is kinda bleh. I had to take the subway with my rod completely visible and people staring at me like I'm crazy fishing today in a blizzard. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
(03-20-2013 01:20 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  

Oh yeah, I like fishing for bass, but... need to wait until the end of June. I have never fished for carp. Might try and go for it. I have seen them in Professor's Lake, but never seen anyone catch them. I have fished there as well with worms, and crankbaits, no hits besides small perch, sunfish, and little rock bass.
04-02-2013, 11:41 AM
(03-27-2013 03:16 PM)Nerdastic Wrote:  I have never fished for carp. Might try and go for it. I have seen them in Professor's Lake, but never seen anyone catch them.

It's worth a shot. You might be skunked a few times, but it's worth it for a relatively hard pulling fish. I'd go at them with corn or bread presented on the bottom, and just let it sit there. Loosen the drag on your reel so that if a fish takes the bait and runs, your rod won't get pulled in.

[Image: logobgs.png]
04-05-2013, 01:01 AM
(03-18-2013 07:08 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 12:23 PM)Nerdastic Wrote:  You can fish for carp at this time of the year? I mean, I know they are open season year round, but can you actually catch anything in March?

I've only done it for a year, but my best carp day so far was April 3rd of last year. And they were already active by that time, so I can imagine they were catchable even sooner last year.

But last year was a strange year.

Confirmed... carp are good to go!!!

[Image: logobgs.png]
04-05-2013, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 01:24 AM by prime89.)
hmm sure..txt me..my job sched is not so bad. i get weekdays off..might avoid packed areas tht way. last year was different. this year i didnt get out for pike early..weather was colder n i believe the ice isnt fully gone.

Born to fish, forced to work.
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 09:31 AM by rich_ace_G.)
I love ice out pike fishing. Water is clear. Had great success using suspending plugs. Very slow retrieve...long pauses. Lots of patience is needed. Some pike follow your lure without taking it...or just waiting for the right moment. I witnessed a pike just watching my lure for 2 - 4 minutes....5 feet away. Finally took it. 3 feet from where I am. Watching it open it's gills and inhale the plug was awesome.

Attached File(s) Image(s)