You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New light retractable travel rod
02-04-2014, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 07:21 PM by fishfight.)
New light retractable travel rod
Just got this for under $20, excellent for travelling.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1X-270CM-...24396.html

Very light rod at 130 grams, I was impress with the backbone of this rod. not too flexible at all . Actual size is 100inches long. Retracted to 17inches, looks short upon initial receipt of this rod, I was surprise how long it could extend. Quality not bad, once retracted very similar to many of my regular long rod, but this rod was even lighter than most of my 9ft trout rod. I have no time to test it on water yet, casting with 1 oz lures for niagara river fishing should work in most cases. The small issue with retractable rods, we have to ensure all guides are aligned properly, this one has 8 guides. Too bad , it does not come with a cover to prevent the top section guides from coming out.

I reviewed another slightly heavier retractable rod. This lighter version rod is more suitable for most of our local fishing condition, from fishing for trout, salmon and carp. The other heavier duty retractable rod for fighting bigger fish and coarse fishing.

At aliexpres.com , if you put something of interest stored on your wish list, price will drop at least 5%-10% in a few days time, to entice us to buy. I am contemplating buying an aka GOPRO camera. For $42. a 10% off right now.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-720P-M...16844.html

PC tablet cost $100 for Quad core chip + 1G ram model + sim card to call.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Ship...66528.html
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: New light retractable travel rod
I've never used that particular rod, but I can tell you that every telescopic rod I've ever owned fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle.
02-04-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 10:51 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(02-04-2014 09:18 PM)Eli Wrote:  I've never used that particular rod, but I can tell you that every telescopic rod I've ever owned fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle.

I've owned 3 telescopic rods, all fiberglass/graphite composite (aka garbage). The tip broke off one kind of like a toothpick would snap. The other one broke in half. The last one got stuck in the closed position. Perhaps the higher quality Shimano telescopic rods do not have these issues, but never tried them. No need for a telescopic rod, when portaging I have to carry the long paddles anyways. I just strap the rods to those or carry them along with the paddles.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2014, 08:55 AM
(02-04-2014 10:49 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 09:18 PM)Eli Wrote:  I've never used that particular rod, but I can tell you that every telescopic rod I've ever owned fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle.

Perhaps the higher quality Shimano telescopic rods do not have these issues, but never tried them.

My last one was a $120 Shimano and it snapped like a dry twig just below the middle guide.
I don't think it's possible to build a telescopic rod with any kind of structural integrity that can still cast and play fish like a normal rod.
02-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I have several good quality telescopics, basically you need to find Carbon Fibre ones.

My 12ft and 18ft telescopic interline rods (line up the inside) travel well and handle deep water Lake Mead Carp or Colorado River big stripers no problem.

I had a Shimano tele that got trashed by a psycho Goose over at Tommy Thompson, but I cant really fault the manufacturer for that....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
02-05-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 04:02 PM by OldTimer.)

Agreed........... most are not high quality.

I think telescopic rods have a place in my tackle - as convenient space saving and "outing saving" backups in case of primary rod loss - or as a "lets throw this in the suitcase just in case" thing.

But I have yet to see a telescopic that performs as well as a standard design unit or is as robust.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Another good alternative that's not telescopic but multi-section, is the Rapala Baja Magnum series. I picked one up at Le Barons a while ago.

Unlike most other teles or travel rods they come in sizes from 7.5ft to 13.5ft and casting weights all the way up to 4-6 ozs. So this is a travel rod you can use for big stripers, carping or deadweighting a zig rig in moving current, beachcasting etc.

I went for the middle range 9.6ft as an alternative option to my 12ft tele. It's way heavier than the tele, but so far it has worked out really well for piers and larger rivers etc. It comes in a hard travel tube which fits into my larger case ok.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
02-06-2014, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 12:49 PM by MuskieBait.)
(02-06-2014 10:06 AM)MikeH Wrote:  Another good alternative that's not telescopic but multi-section, is the Rapala Baja Magnum series. I picked one up at Le Barons a while ago.

Unlike most other teles or travel rods they come in sizes from 7.5ft to 13.5ft and casting weights all the way up to 4-6 ozs. So this is a travel rod you can use for big stripers, carping or deadweighting a zig rig in moving current, beachcasting etc.

I went for the middle range 9.6ft as an alternative option to my 12ft tele. It's way heavier than the tele, but so far it has worked out really well for piers and larger rivers etc. It comes in a hard travel tube which fits into my larger case ok.

Interesting rods. Looks like great options!

Two questions:

1) Does your 9'6" rod cast decent on the extreme ends? What is the sweet spot?

2) Do you like the backbone on those rods? Say...can the 9'6" hold a 25lb salmon in the current fairly well?

Looking for options to replace my 9' travel in the future if it goes "snap" one day...TFO promised me that these lifetime warranty rods will continued to be honoured and supported...but I wonder for how long...

Good to hear from you, Mike. Show us some pics of what you've been up to. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-06-2014, 11:05 PM
These are newer technology material rod being produce these days from China. This particular rod are made from Carbon material, I plan to use them on Bass and trout, mostly fish under 15lbr. I seldom use line more than 20lb, and ensure drag is set properly. With today's strong braided line, many rod will break regardless of the brand if drag not set properly.

I fish with rod rated 12 lb max when I fish for salmon at times, then only with 12 lb mono. No line ever broke on me due to being cautious fighting with even 20lb+ salmon.

The other retractable rod I posted earlier on this section is way more heavy duty made for sure. 25 lb fish is defintely not an issue with that other rod. I just do not know if one cast and retrieve for lots of times with the heavier rod, we might get tired easily . how far the fish is in front of us will also determine how cautious we should be with our rod. We should avoid allowing any of our rod to flex too close to a U shape, unless they are noodle rods. Once the fish is close to shore and tired, if I do not have room to go back, I would at times hold my rod at mid length to ensure the rod does not curve too much. Most accident happens not from equipment failure but from mistake by the angler.
02-07-2014, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 05:53 PM by MuskieBait.)
Carbon material touted by the Chinese rod manufacturers are really just graphite. I have a tenkara rod from a Chinese rod manufacturer that also use the word "Carbon" to describe the rods. I'm just putting it out there so people are not confused with woven carbon fiber clothes that some rod manufacturers use now to reinforce their rods.

While there are good telescopic rods out there, especially ones of Japanese and European manufacturers, Chinese products are still lagging behind. I don't speak from personal experience, but through product reviews from friends of mine in Hong Kong who regularly uses telescopic rods for coastal fishing.

The rods they use range from 10-20 feet in length, with most typical length ranging from 13-15 feet long. They have landed some impressive catches with their rods including 15lb+ Snubnose Pompano (think Permit) and even Kawakawa (tuna) off the sea cliffs. However, the rods they commonly use are priced between $150-200 (if not more)...not the sub $50 rods off the internet.

I don't have experience with these long telescopic rods...but I'll take a 4-piece travel rod over an 8-segment telescopic rod any day. The more segments, the more weakness areas along the blank. 4 breaking points are enough...I don't need 8...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html