You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tsunami Travel Kayak Inshore Rod
07-06-2013, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 01:11 AM by MuskieBait.)
Tsunami Travel Kayak Inshore Rod
You know I love to travel and fish...and I do abuse my gear quite a bit.

Finding a sensitive but powerful rod is often difficult when you're talking about 3-piece models. 1-piece and even 2-piece rods are nice...but checking in a rod tube as the second piece of luggage is not often economical. It is especially bad traveling in the US when you have to pay for 1st and 2nd piece of checked luggage flying economy...and now a lot of airlines don't allow travelers to carry on rods Angry. At $25 for the 1st luggage, and $15 or more for the 2nd luggage, I easily pay $100 each trip just to bring my fishing gear around. Having rods that can fit in my rolling duffel certainly helps to save some money. And for the amount I had traveled, 3-piece rods had saved me a lot of money!

For my trip to Belize, I bought a Tsunami Travel Kayak Inshore Rod. Here's a link on Tackle Direct.

http://www.tackledirect.com/tsunami-trav...-rods.html

For $80, it was a very nice rod. It has a very strong backbone and a soft enough tip to feel a tarpon sucking up a live sardine. It cast beautifully within its rating (3/4oz - 2oz) but to be honest I didn't really lean on the rod to see how much I can give it. 50 yards is an easy feat with a spinner though.

I've caught a 4lb Horse-eye Jack, a 3' long Tarpon and a 2' wing span Southern Stingray with it so far. With all the fish, I had full control of them during the fight and there was not a moment I worried about the rod snapping or being too stiff for the job. It simply felt like an extension of my arm.

They have 5 spinning options but only 1 casting option. At this point, I'm so impressed I may order the heavy casting rod (15-25lb, 3/4oz - 2oz) as a "light" pike and muskie rod...and to have it for traveling too.

The only downside is that the rods do not come with a travel case...so you'll have to figure something out. I'm sure PVC pipes cut to size would do nicely. I'm still trying to figure out what to do to carry these in my luggage...

Time will tell how durable this rod may be. They do come with a 5-year limited warranty. And at the price of $80, it's not so bad replacing one even after warranty. I just hope they don't get discontinued like the TFO rods that I love so much Sad

Check them out if you need travel rod options! They definitely have my seal of approval! Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: Tsunami Travel Kayak Inshore Rod
With the travel rods, did you make it to Belize with just carry-on? I can see how they'd pay for themselves in 2 or 3 trips.

How did you come to decide on these particular rods?

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 01:57 PM by MuskieBait.)
Nope...still have to check it into luggage. No rods can be carry-on anymore with Air Canada or United Airlines. Fishing equipment is considered sporting equipment and all sporting equipment must be checked luggage.

I almost had my reels confiscated in Paris...line on the reel was a strangling hazard...luckily the security tested the 8lb mono and snapped it easy...if he had tested my 30lb braid, my reels would have been gone. Now I put all the reels into checked luggage as well.

It's not simple traveling and fishing anymore Sad It used to be so great when you can just put a rod in a tube and carry-on...it's ancient history now Sad

I came across these rods by accident. I wanted the heavier Kayak Boat Rod but it was out of stock...and lucky it was because the Boat Rod would be much too stiff and heavy for these smaller tarpon. It would be difficult to pitch live sardines with the Boat Rod. I've used a Tsunami Air Wave 9' for surf fishing striped bass before (a loaner rod from a friend). It was an awesome rod for the price...so I figure I give these rods a chance. Also read some decent reviews on these rods.

Love it so much I may get the casting model from this same series...and maybe get one of the Boat Rod later if Eli and I can make March happen.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

01-10-2014, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 05:26 PM by MuskieBait.)
Since everyone is updating their product review...here's my update on this rod...

[Image: Actinopterygii_Elopiformes_Megalopidae_M...n_post.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0391_post.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0831_post.jpg]

[Image: Elasmobranchii_Orectolobiformes_+Ginglym...8_post.jpg]

...enough said...

Now I have the casting model of this rod, plus the Tsunami Travel Kayak Boat Rod in the casting model. All three are awesome and they will no doubt continue to catch me big fish in the future somewhere in the world.

Malama o ke kai