You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbie Question - Foul Hooked Salmon
09-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Newbie Question - Foul Hooked Salmon
Another newbie question - foul hooked salmon - if you have an obviously foul hooked salmon, what are your thoughts on how to best release:

-cut your line right away - leaving your hardware on the fish (3/4 oz spoon and 10+ yards line)?
-bring in the fish and remove all your hardware and then release?

Am I understanding the regulations correctly that I can bring in a foul hooked fish as long as I release it properly? I have read in other forums where bystanders will start yelling at the fisher with a foul hooked fish to cut the line - not sure if this is because they want to ensure that the fish is not kept or if they believe that the fish must be release right away.

I know I may be simplifying this situation as there can be many variables - but I am inclined to think that it would be better to quickly bring in the fish if I can do so without causing injuries and then remove my hardware before releasing than cutting the line leaving all the hardware on the fish which is liable to handicap the fish on its journey upstream. Thank you for your thoughts...
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2014, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 06:30 AM by OldTimer.)
RE: Newbie Question - Foul Hooked Salmon
(09-19-2014 04:18 AM)Boatless Wrote:  Another newbie question - foul hooked salmon - if you have an obviously foul hooked salmon, what are your thoughts on how to best release:

-cut your line right away - leaving your hardware on the fish (3/4 oz spoon and 10+ yards line)?
-bring in the fish and remove all your hardware and then release?

Am I understanding the regulations correctly that I can bring in a foul hooked fish as long as I release it properly? I have read in other forums where bystanders will start yelling at the fisher with a foul hooked fish to cut the line - not sure if this is because they want to ensure that the fish is not kept or if they believe that the fish must be release right away.

I know I may be simplifying this situation as there can be many variables - but I am inclined to think that it would be better to quickly bring in the fish if I can do so without causing injuries and then remove my hardware before releasing than cutting the line leaving all the hardware on the fish which is liable to handicap the fish on its journey upstream. Thank you for your thoughts...

The 2014 Ontario regs say it is illegal to:

"Catch" implies landing, "released" implies previous possession, "immediately" is crystal clear.

Do note that it is also illegal to attempt to foul hook fish. Use of a 3/4 ounce spoon on a pier is fine............. use of a 3/4 ounce spoon (or such) upstream is a snagger's tactic.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2014, 11:17 AM
A good trick is to point your rod towards the fish and simply pull straight back a bit. It will either pull the hook out of the fish, or break your leader (which is what the leader is there for in salmon fishing, to save the rest of your rig and float in the event of a break off). But I understand, once in a while you foul hook a salmon and she ain't coming off. In that case you should land it as soon as possible and quickly get that hook out (preferrably while the fish is still in the water). If it's foul hooked in the mouth, it's all good brother! (for salmon that is lol)
09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
bring it in...bonk it...bon apetit
seems to work for the ruskies
09-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Like Toasty was saying, once you see it's foul hooked you can point your rod to the fish and hold your spool to break it off. When stream fishing you should use a leader that's lighter than your main line. Your floats and shots stay on the heavier line so you don't lose them if you snag a tree, branch, rock, whatever. Muskiebait taught me this and it's saved me a lot of tackle. You'll rarely loose your rig.

People yell at other to break off snagged fish because, if the fish is eventually landed, it'll be more exhausted. That, and it takes up their fishing time and space.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-19-2014, 03:56 PM
(09-19-2014 02:52 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  People yell at other to break off snagged fish because, if the fish is eventually landed, it'll be more exhausted. That, and it takes up their fishing time and space.

Plus...fighting a fish will spook the pool of fish. If the fish was fair hooked, then so be it...the pool gets spooked. If a fish is snagged, there is no reason to fight the fish out and spook all the other fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses and your patience to a newbie - I want to make sure that I do the right things - observe the regulations and equally, behave in an ethical manner that does not violate the unwritten code of ethics of a responsible fisherman.

I have been fishing at a western tributary pier for the last three weekends early in the morning and the people are starting to stack up - it has been a great way to relax so far. I am not yet addicted as OldTimer warned but it has been a great experience to date and I am starting to accumulate tackle and I fear that my wife is going to start asking questions.

Anyway, I will be back at the pier again this weekend and I hope that I will be able to catch a salmon cleanly and be able to make a clean release.

Good luck to everyone who will be fishing this weekend! Thank you,
09-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Where is the west trib? Is that credit river? Where on the river?
09-21-2014, 03:27 PM
(09-20-2014 09:10 AM)dahliablue Wrote:  Where is the west trib? Is that credit river? Where on the river?

Hello dahliablue - I am not sure if we are supposed to be naming rivers but I will PM you with the name...
09-21-2014, 07:12 PM
(09-21-2014 03:27 PM)Boatless Wrote:  
(09-20-2014 09:10 AM)dahliablue Wrote:  Where is the west trib? Is that credit river? Where on the river?

Hello dahliablue - I am not sure if we are supposed to be naming rivers but I will PM you with the name...

there is no official rule against naming rivers on this site, but some people still are as uptight as the 'other' forum. Except on the 'other' forum, "west trib" simply means credit or humber. "east trib" basically means duffins, bowmanville or port hope lol