You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Not all Grass Carp hit the news
02-03-2017, 04:42 PM
RE: Not all Grass Carp hit the news
(02-03-2017 03:50 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 02:30 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  sigh............ guess we'll have to sort out how to target these thing.

Does anyone know if the MNR has stated a position on the destruction (termination) of these should one haul one in? (as they have for Round Goby)

None of these efforts has ever been successful on invasive species...

Round Goby, Rudd, Silver Carp, Northern Snakehead, Bullseye Snakehead...just to name a few off the top of my head...not even trying hard.

The Great Lakes is a HUGE watershed (so is the Mississippi). Once something gets in, it is not likely to be getting out...unless environmental conditions isn't right for the species and Mother Nature gets rid of them.

On the other hand, catch-and-kill has a huge impact on native species that were considered as "trash fish" or "nuisance"...

Gar, Buffalo, Sucker, Bull Trout, Pikeminnow...just to name a few of the top of my head.

Is that a yes or a no?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 06:22 PM
(02-03-2017 04:42 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Is that a yes or a no?

Cheers,

OldTimer

Sorry, what's the question. Not comprehending...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-03-2017, 10:17 PM
(02-03-2017 06:22 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Sorry, what's the question. Not comprehending...

"Does anyone know if the MNR has stated a position on the destruction (termination) of these should one haul one in? (as they have for Round Goby)" - OT
02-03-2017, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 10:56 PM by MuskieBait.)
(02-03-2017 10:17 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:22 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Sorry, what's the question. Not comprehending...

"Does anyone know if the MNR has stated a position on the destruction (termination) of these should one haul one in? (as they have for Round Goby)" - OT

"Don’t release any live fish into Ontario lakes or rivers. If you are fishing and incidentally catch an Asian carp, you must destroy it. Do not return it to the water."

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/...sian-carp/

That has been the MNR's position for a long time.

Yet, my position stands. None of these efforts to ask anglers to kill invasive species has ever helped to stop the invasive species. It just ends up with the killing and wastage of fish since 1) you can possess invasive species and 2) you can't consume invasive species. Once a species in the Great Lakes, only Mother Nature can get rid of it.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-04-2017, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 07:20 AM by OldTimer.)
(02-03-2017 10:49 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  "Don’t release any live fish into Ontario lakes or rivers. If you are fishing and incidentally catch an Asian carp, you must destroy it. Do not return it to the water."

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/...sian-carp/

Thanks that was the answer I was looking for. I doubt any of us needs an expensive fine, or a crowbar hotel stay, for throwing them back in.

.pdf  S15022_e.pdf (Size: 392.02 KB / Downloads: 2)

WOW! from the act:

"Penalties
44. (1) A person convicted of an offence under this Act is liable,
(a) in the case of a first offence under this Act,
(i) to a fine of not more than $1,000,000, in the case of a corporation, or
(ii) to a fine of not more than $250,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or to both, in the case of any other person; and
(b) in the case of a second or subsequent offence under this Act,
(i) to a fine of not more than $2,000,000, in the case of a corporation, or
(ii) to a fine of not more than $500,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or to both, in the case of any other person
."

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
08-17-2017, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2017 07:13 AM by gthnk.)
In the linked article (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/gr...1.3954946)

Quote:"Grass carp have been in the Great Lakes for ... probably 30 years or even more but they've been sterile," said Mark Gaden,

I see this a lot. We think we can bio-engineer a species to fix the problems caused by run-off or another species and we think we can sterilize them and control them. But nature always finds away, thats the entire point of nature: reproduce.

So we have grass carp. And like all carp, they're stigmatized. We won't know, good or bad, until we've peaked at the point of no-return. Thats how these things work out. The carp will establish an equilibrium, or we will see them overtake native and naturalized species.

In the meantime, I suspect the MNR will keep wasting money restocking browns and rainbows which do not seem capable of any kind of equilibrium and should be allowed to die off, and continue to ignore populations of fish that were native but have been mass culled as "garbage fish" or "Invasive species" in the past, like gar.
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2017, 08:25 PM
(08-17-2017 07:12 AM)gthnk Wrote:  In the meantime, I suspect the MNR will keep wasting money restocking browns and rainbows which do not seem capable of any kind of equilibrium and should be allowed to die off, and continue to ignore populations of fish that were native but have been mass culled as "garbage fish" or "Invasive species" in the past, like gar.

I do agree with getting away from stocking Browns and Rainbows, however a lot of people fish for them and in some cases it helps take pressure off of natural systems (aka Rainbow stocking in Haliburton to ease pressure off of Brook Trout). You could never stop stocking them (along with Chinooks and Cohos) without all the charter boat captains creating quite the stink, even if the lakes may be changing to a point where they have changed and the fish can't sustain themselves much longer.

And as far as I know Gar are doing pretty well everywhere they're found (since very few target them), don't really think the MNRF should really do anything in terms of Gar work unless it's Spotted Gar
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to garfisher for this post:
gthnk (08-25-2017)
09-24-2017, 07:29 PM
FYI....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/evidence-of-...-1.3603062
03-28-2018, 03:41 PM