You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Port Dalhousie/NOTL
06-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Port Dalhousie/NOTL
I'm gonna be in the Niagara area this week and might have a chance to fling some tackle, maybe at Port Dalhousie. I've heard some shore fishing goes on there off the harbour, is it particularly good? What would people be targeting this time of year? Are any other spots in the region better bets?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2013, 10:38 PM
RE: Port Dalhousie/NOTL
Port "D" Is Great for spoon chucking in The Fall, for the Pen Salmon that are coming back every year.

Not sure what people are catch there at this time of year.

06-27-2013, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 07:13 AM by OldTimer.)
Hey,

Here’s a video on the November fishing at Port Dalhousie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dys8pwHWW7A

In summer Carp, Sheepshead, Perch, the odd Bass or Catfish, and lottsa goby can be caught off the harbour front channel walls.

I might caution you that fishing in the main channel is discouraged in summer due to the VERY busy boat traffic.

Most anglers fish the main lake this time of year.

Parking is available on both sides………. but usually this time of year the east side (Lighthouse side) is congested with boat owners.

The west side (where the beach also is, and where there is an actual HUGE Old Time Carousel (5 cents a ride) )has lottsa of parking, and is where most fisherman go – but also sees lots of people………. Go early.

A few shots from the east side:

Nice spot to relax.

43.208888,-79.26428

Martindale Pond (which is fair size) is also right there – above the dam – south of the Port.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files...17916.html

I haven’t fished these two spots ……………..YET………. – but as you can see I’ve been researching this place and did go there and look all around - on a drive by in May. I think it has promise, and may go there later this year come fall.

Never really heard much about fishing at/around NOTL.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks! Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond before my trip to Niagara.. but based on this advice I decided not to bother bringing the fishing gear, figured the time could be better spent in more wineries. But I'll bring the rod if I go back in the fall.
07-04-2013, 12:41 AM
(07-01-2013 11:31 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  figured the time could be better spent in more wineries. But I'll bring the rod if I go back in the fall.

Time well spent, it's gorgeous around there.

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-03-2013, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 03:32 PM by OldTimer.)
(07-04-2013 12:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Time well spent, it's gorgeous around there.

Even better starting now.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/hot-spots/port-dalhousie

OT

See you on the river.
11-03-2013, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 05:54 PM by MuskieBait.)
(11-03-2013 03:26 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 12:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Time well spent, it's gorgeous around there.

Even better starting now.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/hot-spots/port-dalhousie

OT

"Brown trout; Large numbers of feeding fish"

Notice the semicolon...unfortunately, the semicolon was used correctly this time. The way it was written is true...The statement does not mean that are a large number of feeding brown trout. Yes, there are brown trout, and yes there are large number of feeding fish (likely hungry Round Gobies from hell)...but not combined together (otherwise we get hungry Round Brown Goby Trout from hell). I've fished ever fall of my undergrad years there...and some days you get 2-3 fish...but many days are skunked more than anything. If there is a pattern to knowing when and where to fish it, I haven't pattern it yet. Undecided

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-03-2013, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 04:37 PM by OldTimer.)
(11-03-2013 04:05 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If there is a pattern to knowing when and where to fish it, I haven't pattern it yet. Undecided

Few have........ The wild cards are: the power facility combined with operating canal system back flow surges which are both totally unpredictable. Then toss in Mother Nature's rains..............

..... heads or tails.........?................. some times it comes up square tails............ smile

OT

See you on the river.
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 08:47 PM by MuskieBait.)
(11-03-2013 04:24 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 04:05 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If there is a pattern to knowing when and where to fish it, I haven't pattern it yet. Undecided

Few have........ The wild cards are: the power facility combined with operating canal system back flow surges which are both totally unpredictable. Then toss in Mother Nature's rains..............

..... heads or tails.........?................. some times it comes up square tails............ smile

OT

^ That's exactly it. Wink Even when we tracked the weather, current flow, air temp (affecting power facility), wind direction...it always seem like heads or tails...so usually we just throw all of that out the window and just go.

Some trips, we froze like ice cubes and risk getting blown off the slick ice concrete by the mother of all winds...but we wouldn't trade anything for it...Some trips we suffered instant sunburn turned skin cancer while roasting in an ore smelter and still wouldn't trade anything for it...just saying...Wink

But most trips we are there just exercising our arms while "legally" dumping more lead and slow-to-degrade plastic into our drinking water source...without so much as a fish breath. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 07:08 AM by OldTimer.)
(11-03-2013 05:52 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  ...........still wouldn't trade anything for it...just saying...Wink

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on fishing any place my friend......here or afar........ or far afar....... and I'm sure you'll agree.

........... just saying................smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.