You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Provincial Bait Policy Review
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Provincial Bait Policy Review
Just saw this in another forum:

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Externa...anguage=en

I have not had time to read yet.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 04:26 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Provincial Bait Policy Review
I take from this release that they are not seeking comments or presenting any plans as yet.

I did see this - if you are interested in the process going forward:

"If you would like to be notified of Environmental Registry postings associated with the Provincial Bait Policy Review, please send your email or mailing address to: bait@ontario.ca"

Aside from that - I'd say things will most likely evolve eventually to the point where the use of live, or dead, minnows or cut bait will be totally banned provincially

- which is logical,............... and even though it's a tad rough on the minnow sellers, it is not unheard of in areas of this country already.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2014, 02:48 PM
I hope not...
I can totally understand the logic behind banning LIVE minnows, but banning the use of dead/cut bait just going too far IMHO. Could they ban the use of worms? That's crazy.
What I do want to see is a total ban on the use of frogs as bait, as I think it's an overly cruel practice that really gives angling a black eye from the perspective of the general public.
11-13-2014, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 04:23 PM by OldTimer.)
(11-13-2014 02:48 PM)Eli Wrote:  I hope not...
I can totally understand the logic behind banning LIVE minnows, but banning the use of dead/cut bait just going too far IMHO. Could they ban the use of worms? That's crazy.
What I do want to see is a total ban on the use of frogs as bait, as I think it's an overly cruel practice that really gives angling a black eye from the perspective of the general public.

I really hope not too Eli.

Worms are already banned in some Ontario waters. (artificial lures only = no bait at all......... about half the Grand River is this way now). And...... out west - and out east - a great majority of the fresh waters have been artificial lures only for quite some time.

Furthermore re disease/virus spreading problems - I have read that Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia can be transmitted in a dead fish or in its parts (cut bait).

And......... on a lighter note........ please advise why maiming/slow-killing a frog is worse than same to a minnow or worm? Or is it those pesky "frog huggers" causin' problems agin..... yeehaw

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Dang! Just when I started getting interested to try trapping my own minnow and using minnow.
If total ban, this will be tough on shore angler where every little bit help.

Hmm.. Current regulation states you should label your bait trap with name and address. Really? Is that safe in urban area?

I believe frog is mostly used for bass. My experience with bass is if they are there, they will take any arificial lure. I thought frogs are harvested for food only. Smile