You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Some questions about tackle and how to use it
09-28-2013, 06:46 AM
RE: Some questions about tackle and how to use it
..............up side............more time to fish!........ smile.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2013, 09:28 AM
LOL Until winter/cabin fever hits! I hate the cold so I don't see myself ice fishing unfortunately!
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 02:30 PM by zippyFX.)
(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  LOL Oh we've seen them there, 4 big bass were just swimming out in a sunny spot, but they just weren't biting that day. Everytime we cast to that spot (with worms) we would scare the crap out of them and they would dive back under the lily pads. After a few seconds they would come back out and we were literally bouncing the worms infront of their faces but they would not bite. We went to a differentr spot and found the same thing was happening with some pumpkinseeds. Just not a good fishing day that day LOL

Yeah, that happens... I found a small pod of carp last week that just refused to even look at my worms or pop corn, just kept swimming right by it.... In the spring I was watching some teenagers bound minnows on the heads of big Pike that were just sunning themselves. They had no interest in biting....

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Speaking of mono or braid...is there a specific reason for using one over the other? I was at the store today and picked up some jigs and grub lures and was checking out the lines at the same time...is it just personal preference?

Mostly preference but last season I kept loosing lures in the snaggy waters I fished. For me it was cheaper to get braid then replace lures. Braid is generally more sensitive but does tend to float more than mono. But then again, hook sets are easier because the line does not stretch. Braid will also last longer than mono and develop less memory. I use braid 10-20 braid on all my medium to medium heavy setups; I use 50 lb braid on my heavy setups (mostly for hurling large weights and lures greater than 1.5 OZ) ; I use 4-6 Fluro carbon on all my light setups.

I used mono on one of my setups but I just never felt comfortable with it.
09-30-2013, 03:37 PM
(09-30-2013 02:26 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  LOL Oh we've seen them there, 4 big bass were just swimming out in a sunny spot, but they just weren't biting that day. Everytime we cast to that spot (with worms) we would scare the crap out of them and they would dive back under the lily pads. After a few seconds they would come back out and we were literally bouncing the worms infront of their faces but they would not bite. We went to a differentr spot and found the same thing was happening with some pumpkinseeds. Just not a good fishing day that day LOL

Yeah, that happens... I found a small pod of carp last week that just refused to even look at my worms or pop corn, just kept swimming right by it.... In the spring I was watching some teenagers bound minnows on the heads of big Pike that were just sunning themselves. They had no interest in biting....

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Speaking of mono or braid...is there a specific reason for using one over the other? I was at the store today and picked up some jigs and grub lures and was checking out the lines at the same time...is it just personal preference?

Mostly preference but last season I kept loosing lures in the snaggy waters I fished. For me it was cheaper to get braid then replace lures. Braid is generally more sensitive but does tend to float more than mono. But then again, hook sets are easier because the line does not stretch. Braid will also last longer than mono and develop less memory. I use braid 10-20 braid on all my medium to medium heavy setups; I use 50 lb braid on my heavy setups (mostly for hurling large weights and lures greater than 1.5 OZ) ; I use 4-6 Fluro carbon on all my light setups.

I used mono on one of my setups but I just never felt comfortable with it.

Once you go braid, you don't go back Wink

20lb braid casts like a dream.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I bought some yesterday and loaded my reels with it. Gonna test it out on Friday Big Grin
09-17-2017, 02:08 AM
(09-26-2013 03:54 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Yes YouTube is good.

...........And many lure manufacturers have use instructions posted on their corporate websites.

More from OSF here:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...-Lures-101

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...in-a-river

Knowing how to fish a lure is good............... knowing WHEN & WHERE to fish a lure is even more important.

Cheers,

OldTimer

That right there is the best advice you can get. I have a tray of top waters and a hand full of them are frogs and the number one thing with them is know when and where to use them. Slow retrieval and popping work great but if it's not natural bait for that area you're just going to scare the fish away.