You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Synthetic Baits and attractants
12-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Synthetic Baits and attractants
Hey,

I’ve read reports about use of “Fishbites” as bait - mostly regarding its use in saltwater where it does seem to work/help occasionally - according to posts in other forums.

I’ve never tried it.

http://www.fishbites.com/

They do make a freshwater version targeting catfish.

Has anyone on this forum tried their catfish version in freshwater here in Ontario……. or know someone who has?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
RE: Synthetic Baits and attractants
Never tried it but they look really cool! I think I might actually order myself a package of it. I think it'd be a pretty good bait!

Thanks,
Giuga10
12-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I just ordered "Yeh Monn! Freshwater Catfish Bait" from Basspro online (no shipping charges today and tomorrow for those of us who do not have a local one). They seemed like they were worth a shot at less than $4.00 on line and no shipping. I won;t be able to try them out until the spring though.
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2012, 10:41 PM
for catfish, isn't what you just need a segment of fish?
(12-17-2012 10:09 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  I just ordered "Yeh Monn! Freshwater Catfish Bait" from Basspro online (no shipping charges today and tomorrow for those of us who do not have a local one). They seemed like they were worth a shot at less than $4.00 on line and no shipping. I won;t be able to try them out until the spring though.
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2012, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 11:31 PM by Giuga10.)
(12-17-2012 10:41 PM)onwind Wrote:  for catfish, isn't what you just need a segment of fish?

You can use a chunk of fish but it's a little more cruel and it's so much easier to pick up a bag of corn then chop up fish pieces, and there are many restrictions as to what fish you can use as bait or not. And I don't think it would be as effective as corn, dough, worms or these fishbites baits.

Giuga10
12-18-2012, 02:10 AM
(12-17-2012 11:29 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(12-17-2012 10:41 PM)onwind Wrote:  for catfish, isn't what you just need a segment of fish?

You can use a chunk of fish but it's a little more cruel and it's so much easier to pick up a bag of corn then chop up fish pieces, and there are many restrictions as to what fish you can use as bait or not. And I don't think it would be as effective as corn, dough, worms or these fishbites baits.

Giuga10

It depends on which species of catfish you are targeting. If you are after bullheads, you're right.

If you are after channel catfish, or other more predatory species such as blue catfish or flathead catfish, it's hard to beat a large chunk of whole baitfish, or even a live baitfish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
12-18-2012, 04:53 PM
In looking around here and there I've seen that only a few used the "Fishbites" alone.............. but more often as an added attraction to supplement the scent/taste trails in the water.

I think used alone for catfish may result in more bullheads than channel cats........... so I was planning on using them with a big chunk of cut bait - this usually precludes the annoying bullhead hook-ups.

My question was asked - to see if anyone really found a benefit to the fishbites i.e more strikes....................

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.