You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Strangest Baits that Work
06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Strangest Baits that Work
What're the strangest things you've seen fish taken on?

Top of my list so far is probably WD-40 as a scent attractant. Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
RE: Strangest Baits that Work
I once caught a small catfish on a gummy worm candy.

What were you trying to catch with the WD-40, and did it work?
Find all posts by this user
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Here are a few odd things I have actually caught fish on:

Pieces of a canned super-hot & spicy jalapeno cocktail wiener………………….. Bullheads

Bare chrome plated safety pin (on twine tied to a stick)………. Chubs (got a bunch) - won the bet too!

Small Vaseline soaked pieces of a well-used yellow bathroom sponge……….. Several good Rainbow Trout

And my oddest:

Leader wind knot………………… Smallmouth Bass…………………………….. I was fly fishing in the Muskoka’s with very small cork poppers in a heavy breeze, - on one cast I managed to both snap off my wee popper on an overhanging tree branch, and at the same time got quite a birds-nest of a wind knot in my leader. The line was just lying on the surface when a half decent size smallmouth hit the floating wind knot. A loop of the wind knot got around both the fishes lower jaw and its gill cover – I did land and release this fish, totally unharmed……………. Now that’s barbless!

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-16-2012, 11:27 PM
I tried wd40 for my steelhead fishing not sure it is working. But I remember was pretty excited
This September I want to try pautzkys products.
06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
I once covered a hook in dirt from a worm box and i was catching small bass off the dock!
06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Cod liver oil capsule on a salmon egg hook.....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 02:00 PM by crisbobo.)
We were at the dollar store on Friday. My daughter bought a bag of small stretchy frogs for a dollar. As a joke I put one on this Saturday and caught a couple of bass. The kids loved it and wanted to fish with them. May have to add them to my tackle box LOL. I have caught fish when I was younger on Salami and pasta. Being half Italian I had to try what was handy.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to crisbobo for this post:
OldTimer (06-26-2012)
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

I am new to the board. I'm on other boards (OFNCommunity) as well. I live around Brampton, Ontario but have grown up through the years fishing around Mississauga, Toronto even as far as Picton.

Anyway, here is my 2 cents...

Try Aluminum Foil on a small Micro Jig. (or even "drop-shot" style)

Works AMAZING for PERCH, SUNFISH and other panfish. Just make sure
the Aluminum Foil looks like (in terms of shape) the minnows imitated off a Sabiki Rig Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to A2F for this post:
MichaelAngelo (08-03-2012)
08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
funniest bait i have used was a spoon with the handle cut off. was using it as a top water bait on the saugeen river casting for muskellunge. you had to real it in fast to keep it on top but it mad this sweet wake on the water and bubbling sound . got the only musky on the trip plus sum small mouth bass on it. funny part was it was one of my moms good silver spoons lol still have it to this day good times!!! Smile
08-03-2012, 12:50 PM
(08-03-2012 10:08 AM)A2F Wrote:  Try Aluminum Foil on a small Micro Jig. (or even "drop-shot" style)

Works AMAZING for PERCH, SUNFISH and other panfish. Just make sure
the Aluminum Foil looks like (in terms of shape) the minnows imitated off a Sabiki Rig Smile

Welcome! I can attest to foil working Smile. What do you mean by "minnows imitated off a sabiki rig?"

(08-03-2012 10:24 AM)mountain man Wrote:  funniest bait i have used was a spoon with the handle cut off. was using it as a top water bait on the saugeen river casting for muskellunge. you had to real it in fast to keep it on top but it mad this sweet wake on the water and bubbling sound . got the only musky on the trip plus sum small mouth bass on it. funny part was it was one of my moms good silver spoons lol still have it to this day good times!!! Smile

LOL that's great! Catching the only muskie on a trip with cutlery is well worth a silver spoon Smile... to me at least. Your mother probrably thought otherwise Smile

[Image: logobgs.png]