You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

04-09-2014, 07:24 AM
baits
Hello everyone, it's been an year since may last posto. Lots of thing happened.
Anyway, this year I want to go back to fishing as I used until a few years ago....uhm.
So, my question is. I a not a great live bait angler, since I have spinned most of my life. However, I would like to do it more in order to catch all kind a fish I am curious about: channel, big native minnows, suckers and trout.
Back in my home country (Italy) lots a fishermen use maggots, but I can't find here: unfortunately, since it's an incredible effective bait (it is banned in many locations due to its effectivenes).
Other baits I am curious are the mealworms and waxworms: anyone has used them? I did when I was younger, for brown trouts and several other minnow-like species, such as chubs, barbels, carps, tenche, perch etc.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 07:51 AM
RE: baits
You can buy wax worms at most pet shops. They're like larger maggots. They work well but don't stay alive as long.True maggots are readily available in a lot of bait stores during the ice season.
04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Yes, waxworms are great bait. They can be used to imitate some of the larger aquatic nymph.

Another bait you can readily get at pet shops is red wriggler. These are small red earthworms. Because they are thinner and smaller than the nightcrawler, it is easier to cut red wriggler into smaller sections that are prime baits for minnows and anything small.

As Eli said, you can get maggots during the ice season. If you put the maggots in the fridge, they may be able to last 2 months before turning into cocoons.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Thank you guys!
I live in North York, do you think I would have chance to find some store selling maggots?
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Pretty unlikely at this time of year and I'm almost certain you won't find it in North York. I've only seen maggots for sale in locations immediately next to icefishing areas (Simcoe, Cambridge...etc).

Your best options are waxworms and red wrigglers. You may be able to find freeze dry maggots at pet stores...but I don't think they work as well.

Another option is to look for Gulp! Maggots and Gulp! Waxies. These are biodegrable scented plastic that do work.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
(04-09-2014 10:04 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Another option is to look for Gulp! Maggots and Gulp! Waxies. These are biodegrable scented plastic that do work.

I tried these last summer when I brought my little kid fishing.....uhm, quite disappointing I should say.
04-09-2014, 11:17 AM
The Gulp! cannot compare with the real maggots...but in some cases they do work and have worked wonders for me in the past.

Malama o ke kai

04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
(04-09-2014 11:17 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  The Gulp! cannot compare with the real maggots...but in some cases they do work and have worked wonders for me in the past.

this for sure. The power of maggots is also in their continuos movement and in the attractant power
04-12-2014, 08:23 AM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Eco-frie...m-Maggots/

This works.

I recommend using the cantelope slices and not the stinky meat though. You will have to wait a little while as its still a bit cool for the flies.

Word of warning....If you put one of these out on the balcony, and think the missis won't notice......you would be wrong Dodgy

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Leeches !!! I swear buy them . They will catch any species of fish. You should try them if you get a chance

All fisherman are liars except you and me, and I’m not so sure about you…