You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Top 10 big fish
09-20-2012, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 10:31 PM by MuskieBait.)
Top 10 big fish
I realize that many here are just starting their fishing journey. I've been fishing for about 20 years and I had great fortunate to fish in some really damn nice places in the world, thanks to work conferences and family around the US. I also had great fortune to meet some very nice friends in many of these places...and a lot of times they are spot on with their fishing (not to mention some of them have boats). It's a combination of these factors that this collection of big catch was possible.

Don't be fooled though...I fish HARD and I saved like a maniac so I can afford these trips. It takes a lot of sacrifices in life sometimes...no eating out, no going to movies, no going to the bar or club, no beer in the fridge, no shopping for new clothes...etc. But it's totally worth it in my books.

So here goes some "showing off" I guess. Keep at it guys...if your passion is in it, and you don't mind sacrificing a little in life to make it happen, you can achieve it too!

#10 - Common Carp - 34", 20+lb - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

[Image: Center_Island_Common_Carp_34in_24in_2010_08_14.jpg]

#9 - Giant Barb (Siamese Carp) - 25lb - Koh Samui, Thailand

[Image: IMG_1847.jpg]

#8 - Chinook Salmon - 25lb - Lake Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

[Image: DSC03777.jpg]

#7 - Bat Eagle Ray - 43" wing span, approx. 40+lbs - San Francisco, California, USA
(Also caught another bay ray with 41" wing span an hour later - second picture)

[Image: IMG_7239_adj.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7251_adj.jpg]

#6 - Common Dolphinfish - 46lb - Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii, USA
(Joint catch with my friend Todd on his boat)

[Image: Hawaii_Cali_2009048.jpg]

#5 - White Sturgeon - 59" Fork Length, approx. 65lbs - Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008162.jpg]

#4 - Giant Mekong Catfish - 70lb - Koh Samui, Thailand
(also caught a smaller 60lb model the same day - second picture)

[Image: IMG_1858.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1877.jpg]

#3 - Redtail Catfish - 80lb - Koh Samui, Thailand

[Image: IMG_1889.jpg]

#2 - Samsonfish - 88lb - Rottnest Island, Perth, Australia

[Image: IMG_1948.jpg]

#1 - Yellowfin Tuna - 120lb - Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii, USA
(Joint catch with my friend Todd on his boat)

[Image: 2007_05_15_120lb_Yellowfin_Tuna.jpg]

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
RE: Top 10 big fish
Awesome post! Reading this has made me really want to go to Thailand now Smile.
I really need to target some bigger fish Tongue.

Thanks,
Giuga10
09-20-2012, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 10:25 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-20-2012 09:58 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  Awesome post! Reading this has made me really want to go to Thailand now Smile.
I really need to target some bigger fish Tongue.

Thanks,
Giuga10

If you want to catch a big fish, go to Australia or Hawaii or Cabo San Luca. Wink

If you fish in Perth at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a Samsonfish that is at least 50lbs...but the charter is about $250 per person per day.

If you fish off Kona at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a common dolphinfish (dorado, mahimahi) that is at least 20lb...and if you fish at least 4 days, you have a realistic chance of catching a yellowfin tuna that is at least 50lbs...but the charter is at least $500 per day.

If you fish at Cabo San Luca at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a roosterfish that is at least 30lbs or a marlin that is at least 70lbs...but the charters is at least $400 per day.

Thailand fishing is pretty cheap actually...you could go fishing for a day for about $200-300 per day, but the flight cost about $1300 on the low end.

But then again, people spend $5000 to go salmon fishing in British Columbia for a week...which I still can't understand why...for that price, I can fish for a week TWICE in Cabo San Luca in an all inclusive resort with 4 days of fishing...and you catch roosterfish, yellowfin tuna, mahimahi, striped marlin, Pacific sailfish...etc that are much bigger than the usual 20-35lb chinook salmon caught at Queen Charlotte Islands...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
(09-20-2012 10:22 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  If you want to catch a big fish, go to Australia or Hawaii or Cabo San Luca. Wink

If you fish in Perth at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a Samsonfish that is at least 50lbs...but the charter is about $250 per person per day.

If you fish off Kona at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a common dolphinfish (dorado, mahimahi) that is at least 20lb...and if you fish at least 4 days, you have a realistic chance of catching a yellowfin tuna that is at least 50lbs...but the charter is at least $500 per day.

If you fish at Cabo San Luca at the right time of year, you will certainly catch a roosterfish that is at least 30lbs or a marlin that is at least 70lbs...but the charters is at least $400 per day.

Thailand fishing is pretty cheap actually...you could go fishing for a day for about $200-300 per day, but the flight cost about $1300 on the low end.

But then again, people spend $5000 to go salmon fishing in British Columbia for a week...which I still can't understand why...for that price, I can fish for a week TWICE in Cabo San Luca in an all inclusive resort with 4 days of fishing...and you catch roosterfish, yellowfin tuna, mahimahi, striped marlin, Pacific sailfish...etc that are much bigger than the usual 20-35lb chinook salmon caught at Queen Charlotte Islands...

Awesome thanks!

Right now I'm 15 so maybe in the future those will be some destinations. Right now I go fishing to places that are within a 15 min bike ride or wherever my parents can take me. But I still manage to go fishing about everyday and am lucky that I have a decently diverse area with lots o different species. I just have to find some honey holes that can produce a jackpot (most likely carp or trout). My search continues haha.

I did manage to catch a 7 inch Creek Chub today which was pretty awesome but I've got lots of improving to do. Tongue

Thanks again,
Giuga10
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 11:17 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Inspirational post Muskiebait! Loved seeing the big fish! You lucky duck, you've gotten some great chances to pull hard on some BIG fish!!

Med school in Australia is sounding more attractive....

LOL

Everything you wrote above is true. It's all about priorities. I can go and blow my cash on mindless activities that I will soon forget and won't add much value to my life. All of the movies that come out today are total mindless garbage. I could go out for dinner with friends once or twice a week, but it's something that would become routine and wouldn't add any value to my life.

Spend your money on creating memories! That's all we are right... we are just a collection of our MEMORIES. That's what life should be about. Wink

edit: Ken what ever happened to that circle hook necklace of yours LOL

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-20-2012, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 11:43 PM by MuskieBait.)
I would say time with family and friends are money well spent...but buying the latest fashion for a $100 shirt that is all fashion and poor material/durability is just a waste of money. I never get designer jeans...I have enough ripped and well worn jeans to be very fashionable...and they were not intentionally made to look faded and ripped. Those jeans actually has character. Big Grin Buy 2 less designer clothing items and you have your $200 charter.

Watching the latest movie in the theater as soon as they come out is also a waste of money in my eye...I can always watch them at a fraction of the cost online later...or watch them for "free" on TV later. I just want the plot and acting...I can care less about sound or visual effects. $12 a movie ticket (don't get me started on the 3D thing)...plus drinks, snacks...etc...easily $25 for a night out at the movie. A movie night out is 1/8th of a $200 charter...of if you watch one less movie a month, you save $300 a year.

Don't get me started with the $6 mocha with non-fat soy milk, honey instead of white sugar, a splash of vanilla, a shot of Bailey's and a sprinkle of cocao powder. Even if you get a Tim Horton's coffee a day at $1.50...in a year, you would have saved $550 if you don't buy coffee every morning. Now you have a plane ticket to Florida. Save for 2 years and you can go to Cabo San Luca. Save for 3 years and you can go to Thailand or Brazil. Save for 4 years and you can go to Australia or Africa. Tongue

Getting wasted on liquor or getting a rush on rec. drugs are also a big waste of money. Want a rush? Pull on a 100lb yellowfin tuna...and you'll get a rush you'll never forget. Unlike a 40oz bottle on a Saturday night...which you will definitely forget the next day...plus feels like crap the next morning Tongue A case of 24 is at least $40 now for some better beers...A case every other weekend...that's $1040 a year...easily a trip right there. Wink

So...just cutting out a few things in life a year, you can easily save $1500-2000 for a major fishing trip a year. It really is that easy. Wink How do you think I can do it? Tongue

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (09-21-2012)
09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
(09-20-2012 09:54 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  #6 - Common Dolphinfish - 46lb - Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

[Image: Hawaii_Cali_2009048.jpg]

Now that's a fish I'd like to catch. I understand they are spectacular.

Great Post!

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-22-2012, 12:01 PM
(09-22-2012 11:32 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  [quote='MuskieBait' pid='3626' dateline='1348192458']

#6 - Common Dolphinfish - 46lb - Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

Now that's a fish I'd like to catch. I understand they are spectacular.

Great Post!

Cheers,

OldTimer

Spectacular in all aspect! If you find a school, they are fairly easy to get to bite. Cut some chunks of bait, throw them overboard and see the school swarm on the bait. Then you put a chunk on your hook, toss that at the school...and hold on! After they are hooked, they jump, fights hard and light up beautifully in the water...all emerald, sapphire, violet, gold...just a swirl of colours blended violently by the determined fish. They are great tablefare as well according to most...but I just find them too bland for my taste (I like fishy tasting fish like bluefish, kingfish and other fatty fish). I will take mahimahi sashimi any day though.

Take a trip to Cabo San Luca...it's stupid fishing for mahimahi and football size tuna most of the time there.

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
OldTimer (09-22-2012)
01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Now those are big fish! Wow truely an accomplishment.
Find all posts by this user
01-23-2013, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 09:06 AM by MikeH.)
Is that dolphinfish also known as Mahi Mahi?
I used to catch fish that look identical to that just offshore in Aruba, but it was called Mahi Mahi.....and delicious. Smile

Just wondering if it's the same fish, due to the distance between Hawaii and the Caribbean.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com