You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic)
10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10
Wow Nice Work! I've been fishing close to 40 hours per week since august and I still have yet to get a bow! Maybe you can PM me some spots? lol
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2013, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 06:19 AM by OldTimer.)
(10-17-2013 07:56 AM)instapump416 Wrote:  Gotcha

[Image: 33o05tk.jpg]

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2013, 04:15 PM
OT, would be helpful to newer member if you explain the point you're trying to illustrate Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-17-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 04:20 PM by OldTimer.)
(10-17-2013 04:15 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  OT, would be helpful to newer member if you explain the point you're trying to illustrate Wink

Lined or perhaps flossed.

OT

See you on the river.
10-17-2013, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 04:45 PM by MuskieBait.)
You know, in this case it is a harder call for me. Hook bend is on the inside of the mouth, hook shank is pointed outward, and if you look at the gum, it is lifted...indicating the hook is set even deeper into the mouth. The hook point is set into the bone of the upper jaw from the inside toward the outside. It looks pretty legit to me...hook point and hook bend are well inside the mouth.

I've had fish hooked barely inside the mouth before in this fashion. It happens more often with worms because I usually thread half of the worm onto the line and leave the other half dangling. Sometimes the fish grabbed half of the worm when it pulls the float down, and with a quick hookset, the fish doesn't have enough time to take the worm deep enough just yet.

I've had steelhead hooked by the tip of the jaw (lower or upper) on roe bags...maybe just millimeters from the tip of the snout...but always inside the mouth (and more often than not the roe bag would be completely crushed...another sign of a real bite instead of flossing).

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

10-17-2013, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 06:31 PM by instapump416.)
I'll keep sharing my vids/pics and you guys can supply your feedback.
I'm prepping my leaders right now and no bead will be used for tomorrow's outing other then the one that's already rigged on my float road.

I'm not trying to line or floss fish.

Can you guys post what a hooked steelhead/salmon would look like.

Thanks
(10-17-2013 02:17 PM)mcfly Wrote:  Wow Nice Work! I've been fishing close to 40 hours per week since august and I still have yet to get a bow! Maybe you can PM me some spots? lol

Any place that has salmon should have bow's.

Good luck on your search.
10-17-2013, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 06:36 PM by OldTimer.)
I am cognisant that opinions can vary. And do so endlessly.

You asked for my call.............My call stands upon repeated consideration of all current facts coupled with my personal distant past misadventures -........ and recent direct well documented evidence and performance in this specific regard.

............ and again................ another reason I do not participate in this quite silly insanity.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-17-2013, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 07:02 PM by MuskieBait.)
I don't usually take pictures until the fish is unhooked...too much to deal with...especially if the fish decided to thrash while still hooked and your rod ended up being dragged or banged on gravel/rocks on the bank.

Here's the only recent one I can dig up...caught with an Estaz Egg fly pattern...well inside the mouth hooked on the roof of the mouth.

[Image: IMG_9161_crop_zps8dbed094.jpg]

I'm borrowing Michael's pictures here...

As certain as it gets...

[Image: DSCN3067.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3068.jpg]

Corner of the mouth...from the inside...you can see where the hook is tied to the line...the hook point is well inside the mouth at the corner of the mouth, the hook is coming from the inside with the shank of the hook twisting to the outside of the mouth. This indicated the roe bag was actually taken fully into the mouth, and when the hook is set, the hook point is driven into the inside of the mouth.

[Image: DSCN3097.jpg]

@OT - I was just curious what you were pointing out with the picture Wink Personally, I think this steelhead is a bit of a grey area. In my experience, it's much harder and less frequent to line a steelhead. Salmon is almost too easy most of the time...but steelhead, I would say 99% of them were definite biters in my own experience. Salmon...flip that ratio around Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

10-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks MB for supplying the pics.

I hope to see my future steelhead's hooked like that.
10-18-2013, 05:57 AM
@ MB - as stated.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.