You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
07-25-2013, 12:36 AM
What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish? Say a frog, turtle, or bird?

Would like to know what you guys do/would do. I've hooked my share fair of non-fish animals and always wondered what the best thing to do is.

For frogs, I unhook them just like a fish as the ones that took my baits hooked on the mouth. Just need to use pliers. But today I caught a large turtle and he swallowed the hook. Instead of trying to pry it out or pull hard I just cut the line. I didn't want to rip his head out of his shell the poor guy! Confused
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
RE: What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
I have a hard enough time catching fish, let alone anything else!

Seriously though, never happened to me. Closest thing was a few crayfish, but they used their claws to grab my hook, not actually hooked.

Glad you cut the line on the turtle...That's what I would have done...Lot of blood? Major damage?
07-25-2013, 12:16 PM
(07-25-2013 10:45 AM)ST_ShoreFisher Wrote:  I have a hard enough time catching fish, let alone anything else!

Seriously though, never happened to me. Closest thing was a few crayfish, but they used their claws to grab my hook, not actually hooked.

Glad you cut the line on the turtle...That's what I would have done...Lot of blood? Major damage?

no blood or major damage, as I was careful not to pull the line too hard. I just slowly brought him close enough to net, then checked him out a bit. He was pretty mad and making scary noises! Saw he was hooked deep in his mouth so cut the line and then lowered him back into the water where he swam away
07-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I've caught a frog on a spinner and just unhooked him like a fish.

[Image: RgDrP2B.jpg]

I've caught a pelican in Florida and immediately cut the line.

My dad caught a seagull and he just got me to reel it in and we found that he wasn't hooked but the line was wrapped around him and we couldn't untangle him so we cut the lure off and we cut the mainline off of him and he flew away fine.

I've hooked my brothers ear once too while fly fishing, thankfully I watched videos on Youtube on how to remove a hook from people Tongue

You did the right thing with the turtle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Hook a duck by it's feet. cut my line and said bye to my $8 floating plug. Caught a turtle in milne...cut my line but not close to the head. for my sake and hers...
07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
I caught two bags of dog poop; I threw them bag.
07-26-2013, 12:16 AM
I've successfully unhooked a turtle, it juts depends on how deep it's hooked. A few years ago, a seagull flew into somebody's cast and got wrapped in the line. He reeled it in and we worked together to unravel it. Unless we're talking about a snapping turtle or an alligator I'd generally prefer to try to get as much hardware out of the animal as possible instead of just cutting the line without trying to have a look at the damage.

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM
(07-26-2013 12:16 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I've successfully unhooked a turtle, it juts depends on how deep it's hooked. A few years ago, a seagull flew into somebody's cast and got wrapped in the line. He reeled it in and we worked together to unravel it. Unless we're talking about a snapping turtle or an alligator I'd generally prefer to try to get as much hardware out of the animal as possible instead of just cutting the line without trying to have a look at the damage.

yeah, when I examined the turtle I hooked, it looked pretty deep. and didn't want to do surgery on him and then have a giant floating turtle in my favourite fishing spot.
07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I had a guy hook me in the scalp on the back of my head with a casting spoon (one night at Bronte)...

...... his technique was to cut his line, not help at all, run to his car, and leave me there with my ball cap pinned to my noggin' by his spoon................

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
(07-26-2013 03:21 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I had a guy hook me in the scalp on the back of my head with a casting spoon (one night at Bronte)...

...... his technique was to cut his line, not help at all, run to his car, and leave me there with my ball cap pinned to my noggin' by his spoon................

Sorry to read that, Oldtimer. That Is a horrible experience, and completely irresponsible on the person that hooked you.....

I was on a family vacation when I was 12 years old.

I was visiting my Uncle in lake wood Ohio.
and rode a bike with a fishing rod over my shoulder and went to "Rocky River"

a place where my father had grown up and had taken me as a 3 year old kid for some fishing.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safar...JkBEPwSMAs

and I fished for anything...

I met a guy that had a fly rod and knew nothing of it, this was the first time i had ever held or tried to cast a fly rod, I knew not what i was doing, But i think i helped him learn a thing???

I ended up tossing my float and worm out, but unfortunatly the people visiting the area had been feeding the ducks with bread and what not.

and i hooked a duck in the bill..

I felt so bad as a 12 yr/ old, and even passer by's looked at me as what the "F" is this guy dong??

growing up in a country setting and knowing animals i was able to understand how to handle a bird, and easily removed the hook from it's bill.