You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
07-26-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
Let's see...

Hooked ducks when they dive for the corn I was using for carp...hooked in the wing or swallowed hook. The wing was easy...the swallowed hook I just cut the line.

Hooked seagulls when they dive for the float or baitfish I was fishing under the float...hooked in the wing or hooked on the side of the head. Both were easy to get out after controlling the bird.

Hooked a couple of frogs and they were deep hooked...so simply cut the line and let nature takes its course.

Hooked turtles that picked up my bait. Painted turtles and such...just cut the line as close to their jaws as possible. Snapping turtle...they have long, extending necks and they can strike lightning fast...so stay away from them and cut the line safely.

Hooked a pelican while trolling for tuna...stupid bird dove for the trolling lure and hooked it in its bill...was fighting the bird in the air with the boat at speed...so I just held the spool and eventually the 40lb mono snapped.

Hooked a seal once while fishing for rockfish...stupid mammal grabbed a fish off the top hook and snagged itself on the bottom hook...simply held the spool with my hand and snapped off the 40lb mono.

Hooked into lots of trash...soda cans, lots and lots of bags, couple shirts and pants, big logs, even so nasty stuff like a condom and a diaper. Usually I just use hemostats to take them off.

No corpses yet.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 07:41 PM
(07-26-2013 05:08 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Let's see...

No corpses yet.

Don't give up........ there's always still a chance........smile

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
When I was a kid I hooked a seagull with a spinner. I quickly handed my fishing rod over to my uncle, who did not immediately realize that the tug at the line was coming from above the water's surface. Watching him untangle that poor bird was quite the spectacle.

Last week I had a crayfish grab onto my worm.
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I once had a clam clamp onto my jig in Nippissing.
07-28-2013, 09:38 AM
My mom was sitting on a dock and casting around it when she got it stuck on something under the dock. She gave up trying to free it so I went over to help not wanting to cut the line if possible.

True to her word, it was pretty stuck but after a few minutes of moving around the dock I felt it budge. Then the line went slack and an angry snapping turtle came out from under the dock. Needless to say, I cut the line and watched it swim away.

Luckily, it was just caught on the shell and not anywhere soft but I do harbour significant fears of a turtle with me on its hit list.
07-28-2013, 12:09 PM
yesterday at one of my carp spots, another fisherman hooked a huge snapping turtle. Biggest one I've ever seen! Luckily it snapped his line when he brought it up to shore. It was massive!
07-28-2013, 03:42 PM
(07-28-2013 09:38 AM)hoTTuna Wrote:  Luckily, it was just caught on the shell and not anywhere soft but I do harbour significant fears of a turtle with me on its hit list.

That's OK, they move pretty slowly. Just have to watch out for those which have mastered the element of surprise as you clean dishes in the lake by the campsite....

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Tongue RE: What do you do when you catch something that is not a fish?
(07-28-2013 03:42 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  That's OK, they move pretty slowly. Just have to watch out for those which have mastered the element of surprise as you clean dishes in the lake by the campsite....

Ahahahahahaha it just thought you were being nice and bringing it a meal! Tongue
07-28-2013, 10:32 PM
(07-28-2013 06:07 PM)hoTTuna Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 03:42 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  That's OK, they move pretty slowly. Just have to watch out for those which have mastered the element of surprise as you clean dishes in the lake by the campsite....

Ahahahahahaha it just thought you were being nice and bringing it a meal! Tongue

Yeah you tell me.... that was freaking terrifying. Look up from scrubbing and you see a giant shadow moving up from the abys...

[Image: logobgs.png]
08-03-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 02:13 PM by yakfish.)
I was fishing last year in a river. I was using top water for bass. I group of ducks swim over my line and got it tangled in on one of the ducks feet. I reeled him in and untangled him from the line. He wasn't very happy with me and I was a little wet when it was all over with! Only thing I'd caught that day!!LOL!
Just last week I made a long cast with a spoon and a seagull swooped down after the spoon and somehow got a hold of the line. the line broke in stantly and the bird flew off unharmed.