You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Abu 401 cut my braid!
02-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Abu 401 cut my braid!
Super annoying... was out on the ice on Saturday and my brand new Abu 401's line roller cut my 14 lb Fireline crystal not once but TWICE. I now have 2 splices in my brand new Fireline.... all thanks to Abu.

The line would wedge in the side of the line roller mid-retrieve and then snip as I continued reeling...

Thumbs DOWN... anybody else experience this issue?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 09:11 AM
RE: Abu 401 cut my braid!
(02-04-2013 01:29 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Super annoying... was out on the ice on Saturday and my brand new Abu 401's line roller cut my 14 lb Fireline crystal not once but TWICE. I now have 2 splices in my brand new Fireline.... all thanks to Abu.

The line would wedge in the side of the line roller mid-retrieve and then snip as I continued reeling...

Thumbs DOWN... anybody else experience this issue?

Sounds like your fireline is too thin for the sloppy tolerances on the line roller arm, unless you can tighten the roller assembly.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Abu does advertise this reel as having "cutting edge technology".................. smile............. sorry could'nt resist..........

more seriously - would it be a low temperature based problem? Or just a sloppy gap?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-05-2013, 03:35 AM
Sloppy gap... I'll be trying other reels

Sucks that I bought it from LeBaron and they have a nonexistant return policy... and give me attitude every time. I'm not shopping there anymore for stuff like this... it's not worth the hassels. At least BPS and SAIL know what customer service is...

/rant... lol

08-23-2013, 10:03 PM
When I bought a rod from Lebaron, it broke within weeks while I was just setting the drag at home, I took it to Lebaron and the front piece of the rod replaced with no questions asked.

On my last fishing trip my reel started doing something similar, I have the Mitchell Avocet II Gold 4000. I noticed the line stopped reeling in and my line was stuck, then it got cut right inside the groove at the edge of the line roller where it meets the bail arm. I kept fishing though until it had been cut about 4 times when I decided it wasn't a one time occurrence, losing lots of my line. I've been using the same reel since last year spooled with the same line from then and all of a sudden on this outing, it started sticking and getting cut. Does anyone know what causes this problem and if/how it can be fixed?
Find all posts by this user
08-23-2013, 10:53 PM
(08-23-2013 10:03 PM)Randy Wrote:  When I bought a rod from Lebaron, it broke within weeks while I was just setting the drag at home, I took it to Lebaron and the front piece of the rod replaced with no questions asked.

On my last fishing trip my reel started doing something similar, I have the Mitchell Avocet II Gold 4000. I noticed the line stopped reeling in and my line was stuck, then it got cut right inside the groove at the edge of the line roller where it meets the bail arm. I kept fishing though until it had been cut about 4 times when I decided it wasn't a one time occurrence, losing lots of my line. I've been using the same reel since last year spooled with the same line from then and all of a sudden on this outing, it started sticking and getting cut. Does anyone know what causes this problem and if/how it can be fixed?

Yikes! Maybe check the tightness of the screw that goes through the line roller, or keeps it tightened up. Perhaps the screw loosened creating a gap for the line to get stuck in. ??

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
Randy (08-23-2013)
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 11:32 PM by Randy.)
(08-23-2013 10:53 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(08-23-2013 10:03 PM)Randy Wrote:  When I bought a rod from Lebaron, it broke within weeks while I was just setting the drag at home, I took it to Lebaron and the front piece of the rod replaced with no questions asked.

Yikes! Maybe check the tightness of the screw that goes through the line roller, or keeps it tightened up. Perhaps the screw loosened creating a gap for the line to get stuck in. ??

that was the first thing I thought to do sol I checked the bearing and everything else inside the line roller and put it back together. I hope its fixed now.
08-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Let us know if it fixes the issue.

08-24-2013, 11:14 PM
The problem still persists, I'm probably going to contact Aikman A Sporting Goods Repair as they happen to be the only Mitchell service centre nearby and have excellent reviews.
08-27-2013, 11:25 AM
So I took it to Aikman's repair shop and he said the nylon washer between the line roller and bail arm could have worn out so he placed a thicker washer there. I hope this fixes it.