You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Where can you catch Rainbow Trout and SteelHeads in Richmond Hill/Markham
07-06-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: Where can you catch Rainbow Trout and SteelHeads in Richmond Hill/Markham
How big can resident trouts get?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 05:55 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
2-3 pounds,
If you're lucky you may find them in the 5 pound range.

They Are in there,

you can even still catch some of the spring stocked rainbows in the river at about the 1 pound mark, just the perfect size to start taking to the table if you are into that kind of thing, Be sure to check your regulations and limits and stay within it.

~Jeremy

07-09-2013, 12:28 AM
(07-08-2013 05:54 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  you can even still catch some of the spring stocked rainbows in the river at about the 1 pound mark, just the perfect size to start taking to the table if you are into that kind of thing, Be sure to check your regulations and limits and stay within it.

~Jeremy

I've been catching the spring stocked rainbows since May, caught maybe at least 60 of them but haven't got any the last week or so. I've seen them growing since early May, the biggest ones I've caught are about the length of the rod handle. A lot bigger than the baby rainbows at Scarborough Bluffs. (Not sure if those are stocked as well)
07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Glad you are getting on them,
almost a nuisance being just a little larger than most of the chubb around.

If the Volunteer efforts continue to grow around this area of the water shed, I can see us catching 4-5 different year classes in the rivers around markham and richmondhill.

This year the volunteers of metro east anglers stocked directly at the lower end of the fishway and over night we were getting our stocked rainbows in the fishway basket trying to swim upstream.

If this project continues, every year.

The rouge will be world class Resident Rainbow fishery.

~Jeremy

07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
To the OP...there are tons of spots around Markham if you just want trout. I wouldn't bother fenced areas just because I avoid areas where someone don't really want you there (i.e. fenced areas). If you look at the rouge river. it's stretches all the way to Markham. Google map it and you will find accessible spots and guess what...there are trout in there. I've caught about more than a hundred rainbows/browns since opener but then again I fish almost everyday. I caught a 5lb. bass there(rouge) as well. I'm not sure about Milne Pond. It seems all I catch there are panfish and catfish. Tons of carp there if you want them. I'm not going to point out certain spots just because to me...Rouge River is a spot in it's own. There are great spots outside of Richmond Hill/Markham but that would be another thread.
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
(07-10-2013 12:35 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  To the OP...there are tons of spots around Markham if you just want trout. I wouldn't bother fenced areas just because I avoid areas where someone don't really want you there (i.e. fenced areas). If you look at the rouge river. it's stretches all the way to Markham. Google map it and you will find accessible spots and guess what...there are trout in there. I've caught about more than a hundred rainbows/browns since opener but then again I fish almost everyday. I caught a 5lb. bass there(rouge) as well. I'm not sure about Milne Pond. It seems all I catch there are panfish and catfish. Tons of carp there if you want them. I'm not going to point out certain spots just because to me...Rouge River is a spot in it's own. There are great spots outside of Richmond Hill/Markham but that would be another thread.

Nice to hear your Report Rich.