You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pond and Small Water Body Conservation
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
RE: Pond and Small Water Body Conservation
I finally received an email back from Mr. Soran Sito stating that the town can't deal with stuff like that so I would have to contact the MNR. Here's the email I sent to them. (Similar to the previous but not the same)

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Nicholas Giuga. I am 15 years old and am an avid fisher and, go fishing at my local ponds every day. I always see other fisherman there, but they fish for keeps. I am always a catch and release fisher and when I see the fish being dragged out of the water by those other fishermen it concerns me. I know it is not a crime that they are committing by keeping these fish, but they are committing other types of crimes such as fishing without licenses, having multiple rods in the water at the same time, using over the limit amount of hooks on the line, snagging, littering and targeting fish with closed seasons and keeping them. I have made attempts to inform them about what they are doing, but they don't speak English and just ignore me.

I visited Swan Lake recently and have noticed that the no fishing signs have been replaced with no fish consumption signs which is exactly why I am sending you this email. I wish that similar signs be placed in all or at the most commonly visited Markham ponds. I have noticed a drastic change in the quality of the fishing over the past years as more and more people are fishing there and taking the fish home and I don't think the waters are all that safe to eat from anyway. I have many friends that have noticed the same problems.

These fishermen are taking sometimes over 20 fish of any size which leaves no time for the fish to grow and reproduce. I have seen them taking fish smaller than the palm of my hand to eat, and at that rate there will be no fish left in these ponds to reproduce and grow. I used to be able to consistently catch 1 LB Largemouth Bass from one of the ponds I fish and now am lucky to catch a fish, and if I do it is no bigger than 7 inches.

I am asking you if the MNR would put up those same signs at all or at the most commonly visited Markham ponds and have these signs read "Catch & Release" or "No Fish Consumption" in the 3 most common languages in our area. The ponds are a very important part of the community as it can be accessed by children, elders, and the disabled for easy recreational fun, and without the fish it can't happen. I also understand that asking you for such a big task is a lot but it is such a wonderful pastime being taken away and without some drastic measures to conserve our waters we will no longer be able to enjoy this wonderful activity.

Thank you,
Nicholas Giuga

Hopefully they will consider it.

Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pond and Small Water Body Conservation - Giuga10 - 11-12-2012 05:03 PM