You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

US Fishing Advice?
01-12-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 06:57 PM by fishfight.)
RE: US Fishing Advice?
Thanks for being patient , it helped to summarized just some basics knowledge one need to fish certain areas of florida. I am planning a trip sometime before summer months.

I drove 7000km round trip back and forth to Florida on Aug 2012 it was a tiresome trip, we stopped at many states along the way, the trip took my family 9 days total time to fully explore the features of each states on our way to Florida.

Fishing was not a priority when I travel with my family, cause once I start fishing, it will be hard to stop. Only fishing place I tried was in Jacksonville, Florida. Couple of hours on Guana Dam. This area has both fresh and salt water fishing separated by the dam , fresh water trout(has small sharp teeth) up to 4lbers on the fresh water side, while the saltwater side of the dam had thousands of 4 inch bait fish, and some other bigger fish jumping while eating them, bait fish were used to catch crabs or other bigger fish on the fresh water side. I will have to buy casting nets the next time I go back there to catch these bait fish.

I waded up to my waist area while fishing at Guana Dam, the water temp was 80 degree warm that day. Did not took us long to get sun burned. Lots of 1 lb Blue crabs were landed by locals. They gave me basic pointers on how to catch these crabs, changing fresh cut-up bait fish every half an hour is the key, just tie the bait with a small rope, and let it sit at the bottom, once the rope started to move, the crab is there, they will not let go even after pulling them out of the water. They even sold them for $1 each, since hundreds were landed. It was the time of the year for these crabs to spawn close to shore lines. I was surprise many of us we were not stepping on top of these crabs, or getting bitten. The white sandy beach was only 10 minute walk from the Dam, some anglers were surf fishing, I was told 4 ft shark can be landed fishing that way. This particular beach was not too crowded during weekday when we were there, it had a fresh water shower, a convenience store, and clean washroom, all Free to the public. One can do 3 types of fishing, Surf, salt and fresh water fishing, just need 3 types of license.

At Emery Island, another 45 minutes drive north of Jacksonville, I witness 50+lb tarpon catapult out of the water just casting distance from shore, I did not fish here due to time constraint, right before it got dark, and thunder showers headed our way, I just observe the locals landed 2 lb mackerel, and a 3 lb shark fishing on shore.

Last June, 2012. I visited state of Maine, fished for couple of hours and landed 1lb mackerel using shrimp. Lot of fish were landed by everyone that day, maximum of 4 hooks can be on a line while fishing for them. I also saw lot of seal where we were fishing. Many kids were successful fishing that day. Surf fishing saltwater license at Maine cost $1. Will be going there again around June 2013. My 20 year old daughter travels to Maine to perform her yearly classical music concert.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
US Fishing Advice? - fishfight - 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: US Fishing Advice? - MuskieBait - 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
RE: US Fishing Advice? - fishfight - 01-12-2013 06:46 PM
RE: US Fishing Advice? - OldTimer - 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM